PDA

View Full Version : Syrian air still up in air despite war

HumaidDaPlane
12th Oct 2012, 00:03
has anyone been wondering why syrian air is still up and running?

for all I know syrian is still in full flight operations this seems rather dangerous despite the ongoing conflict in syria and the relations with turkey is this airline seriously going to continue. In libya when odyssey dawn was taking place libyan airlines and afriqiyah had been shut down they just starting running again(correct me if im wrong). so why is syrian air still up and running?

any info?

Sqwak7700
12th Oct 2012, 00:54
so why is syrian air still up and running?

Apparently, so that Assad can still bring his weapons into the country.

DownIn3Green
12th Oct 2012, 02:38
But do they offer free spirits in F/C, Business?

crewmeal
12th Oct 2012, 05:28
I would imagine that Syrianair have scuppered their 747SP's which would leave a few A320's to fly around the Country. As to the operation the Govt would say whether they could fly or not. If Syria were to be invaded then the carrier would definitely be grounded. At best they would probably sneak their fleet into Iran. Look what happened in Iraq. When the invasion took place most of the fleet ended up in Amman, some of the B707's B720's can be seen today languishing in the desert heat.

That luxury was not afforded to Kuwait Airways when many of their aircraft were destroyed along with G-AWND, the BA 747-100 when the Iraqis invaded.

rcsa
12th Oct 2012, 07:21
There's no No Fly Zone in place in Syria; no foreign military intervention to speak of. No foreign military aircraft in the airspace, even in an AWACS role. The Syrian government consider this to be an insurgency (albeit a heavily fought one), not a civil war.

They would argue there is no more reason for Syrian Airlines to cancel their flights than there was for BA to cancel flights to Belfast during the 70's and 80's, or for JAT to cancel flights during the Balkan wars of the '90's.

The insurgents have some AA capability, but not much. If they closed down the airline the government would be making a very significant admission of defeat.

I'm reminded of Air Rhodesia, which flew all the way through our civil war in the '70's, even after terrorists brought down two aircraft (Viscounts) near Kariba in 78/79. The government kept the airline flying despite the dangers, because they estimated that the propaganda value to the enemy of closing the airline was worse than the risk of casualties.

racedo
12th Oct 2012, 08:33
There's no No Fly Zone in place in Syria;

Incorrect there is not

no foreign military intervention to speak of.

So Turkish, British, French, US, Qatari and Saudi military personnel on Syrian soil plus arming and training SFA is no military intervention !!!!!

jcjeant
12th Oct 2012, 08:46
Hi,

racedo
So Turkish, British, French, US, Qatari and Saudi military personnel on Syrian soil plus arming and training SFA is no military intervention !!!!! If you ask them .. they will reply it's humanitarian aid :E
It's now well know ... military personnel are now the peacemakers ... :)

rcsa
12th Oct 2012, 09:57
Racedo - do you think there is a No Fly Zone imposed on Syria? That would be news to all the Syrian Air Force aircraft flying around...

I said "no foreign military intervention to speak of". Maybe I should have been clearer; of course there are advisors, trainers, etc on the ground. But SF personnel don't generally pose a threat to civilian air traffic unless they are ordered to do so. SF is a strategic asset, not a tactical one. They operate under orders at Command, and generally in a situation like this at Government, level.

Anyway my point is clear - the regime in Damascus will not close down Syrian Airlines because to do so would admit that the rebels have control of the airspace - albeit from the ground.

racedo
12th Oct 2012, 11:27
Racedo - do you think there is a No Fly Zone imposed on Syria? That would be news to all the Syrian Air Force aircraft flying around...

Oops, I missed the No in your original comment.

teddy
6th Nov 2012, 12:50
What about Afriqiyah ? Are they ON or OFF ? website does not say anything.

nimsu1987
10th Nov 2012, 13:12
I guess they will stay in the air until all surrounding countries give sanctions. The EU has so far done this. Of course, there is nothing stopping them from running internal flights either. I guess they will keep flying until their civilian planes are attacked or rebels take full control of the airports, or of course,they might just run out of money.