PDA

View Full Version : Advice after flight training to engineering !

Big Duke 6
11th Oct 2012, 21:02
I have a degree in mechanical engineering, 6 months experience in tech services Ryanair & 100total time flying helicopters.

I'm looking at options to get into maintenance and seeking advice.

Tech services - stuck in an office I didn't like, I much prefer hands on maintenance.
Current job is engineer surveyor lift & crane.

I'm looking at serving a 4 year Ac apprenticeship but at 35 yrs old ill be back day one on 200euros a week..
Not ideal but ill do if no other options..

Any ideas for career ?

Want to end up working in air accident In years to come..
Was going to do Heli piloting but costs are massive..

Any advice really appreciated.

Big Duke 6
12th Oct 2012, 09:37
Hi Miles,

Yes indeed , i have ear marked that area many years down the line . First i have to get more experience.

What do people consider the best option for getting experience in maintenance, is there any other option other that starting an apprenticeship & starting day one ?

The heli flying would be great , i'm doing that part time as i go along but will take many years re costs.

Just want to make sure i'm not missing different job opportunities before i seriously consider apprenticeship.

Thanks

The90sAME
12th Oct 2012, 16:26
At 35 I highly doubt you'd be accepted into an apprenticeship. But each company has their own guidelines on apprentices...

Failing getting an apprenticeship, youd have to do it the long way (Assuming you want to be licensed)

Try and find a job as an unlicensed mechanic or fitter, gain experience & record it. Self fund your theory towards the license of your choice (or see if the company will help you), apply for it then seek a job as a licensed engineer.

I dont have a great deal of knowledge in the trade, but thats one of the routes in, failing getting an apprenticeship.

Big Duke 6
13th Oct 2012, 11:10
Thanks The90'sAME,

Appreciate your response..

I can get an apprenticeship alright, just want to make sure its the only real option there is before i give all up to start at the beginning !!

Keep up the good work.

mccdatabase
13th Oct 2012, 18:07
Don`t do it !!

After 30 years as a Licensed Engineer I can safely say there are much better ways to earn a living, the pay is, at best no more than average (especially considering the responsibilities),the hours will be long and unsociable, and the managements are always looking for someone to blame for their shortcomings.

Use the degree for something that makes you feel valued as the professional you are ( not a sentiment you will get from airline owners).

Call me old and cynical, but honestly, most longer serving licensed engs will agree

Blink182
13th Oct 2012, 21:55
mccdatabase......... you are so right.

Big Duke 6
14th Oct 2012, 10:55
Thanks Mccdatabase for you reply.

To be honest if i was in my current job for that long i probably wouldn't have to much good to say about it.

Sometimes in life we have to walk the walk if the impulse / heart tells you too..
I can easily change direction in years to come if needs be. Are we tied to one career for life, i don't think so.

I'm sure you enjoyed your earlier years in the trade?

All jobs have downsides and hardships, sometimes we have to remember why we got into it..Was it our passion, has this changed !! if so why am i in something i don't like, takes a lot of courage to change i know.

I'm trying not to get this post to go off on a different tangent about love/hate relationship with work.
But for those of us interested have a look at this small video.

Do What You Like « 98FM: Dublin's Best Music Mix (http://is.gd/AGCH61)

I'm just asking you experienced gents out there is there another way into engineering bar 4/5 year apprenticeship , or interesting job that is more practical / hands on that is good ?

Kind regards
Ryan

Home (http://www.aero53.ie)

Flying Mechanic
14th Oct 2012, 11:02
Try and get a job in hanger anywhere! Work there for few years,get your engineering tickets, get your CPL , and become pilot/engineer you easily employable in the GA world. That was my path into aviation, 7 years on the spanners, then flying, the first few jobs I was always fixing planes after work.:O

Big Duke 6
15th Oct 2012, 09:44
Thanks for your reply Flying Mechanic.

That's exactly where i want to get , pilot / Maintenance mechanic.