PDA

View Full Version : Freelance info

Nomads
10th Apr 2002, 18:09
I would like to find out from those in the UK or in Europe that are freelance helicopter pilots how to go about becoming a freelance pilot.
Thanking you in advance.:)

paco
10th Apr 2002, 21:32
I did this for 8 years. First of all, get yourself known. Unfortunately, this will mean working for a company full time until they (and others) get to know you, unless you already have this cracked.

Freelancers get hired if they turn up on time, don't crash, do the job with no fuss, are smart and tidy and don't try to take passengers away by handing out their own business cards.

Think of what a Chief Pilot needs (i.e not to be dropped in the sh*t) and start from there. What machines do you have on the licence?

Phil

Off road
11th Apr 2002, 04:51
Thanks Paco,

How about the bussiness end of freelancing ie. your own companyname and registering for tax purposes etc.

At the moment I am flying a Eurocopter EC 120 (500hrs) out of a total of 1040hrs of which 660hrs are turbinetime.
I haven flown R22, H269, B47 and Schweizer 330 and an intro course on the AS 355.

:)

paco
11th Apr 2002, 06:20
You need something popular, such as Astar or 206, unless you've got work already with what you've got. The taxman will expect you to have your own helicopter. You can have as many VAT registrations as you like, but it's true. We had a lot of freelancers at Ellan Vannin Airlines, but the taxman made us take the tax off and was very interested in people having their own machine.

Probably best to talk to a good accountant or ring the tax people direct just in case it's changed.

Otherwise, you don't need to be a limited company, but it might be a good idea in terms of liability. Also, you don't need to register for VAT before you earn a certain amount, but you knew that already!

Phil

Helinut
11th Apr 2002, 22:21
You need to be a bit careful that any advice given/received is applicable to the country you want to work in. I would imagine that tax laws, for example, may differ between countries.