PDA

View Full Version : Michael O'Leary on Hard Talk

AlexanderH
11th Oct 2012, 15:21
Anyone going to watch this on BBC World in 10 minutes?

Should be a good one. Stephen Sackur isn't half the interviewer Tim Sebastian was though.

Spartacan
11th Oct 2012, 16:05
Watch a clip at:

BBC News - Hardtalk - Ryanair's Michael O'Leary: Fuel risk claims are lies (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/hardtalk/9758790.stm)

The talk is about fuel . . .

Tableview
11th Oct 2012, 16:12
As always, he answered well, but I thought his facial grimaces when Stephen Sackur was talking betrayed his internal discomfort.

I can't get BBC World but will record it off the news channel and watch it tomorrow.

eu01
11th Oct 2012, 18:09
I thought his facial grimaces when Stephen Sackur was talking betrayed his internal discomfort. You never know what the truth might be, but MOL, while talking to an experienced journalist, did handle the interview very well. I wouldn't risk to say that he showed any discomfort.

jabird
11th Oct 2012, 18:11
Well with the cr*p from Susan Kramer on QT last week - especially trying to have a go at WW about weather problems which related to the airport, not his airline, let's hope that this interview is some common sense balance to the usual Thursday night BS viewing!

Fairdealfrank
11th Oct 2012, 19:49
Agreed, Kramer did make a fool of herself on Question Time.

Bearcat
12th Oct 2012, 12:10
Michael looked tired....not his usual ebullient self.

Ernest Lanc's
12th Oct 2012, 13:03
Michael looked tired....not his usual ebullient self.

He did - He almost looked old, tired and weary..Not the MOL I know.

Sober Lark
12th Oct 2012, 13:25
"He almost looked old, tired and weary"

The makeup artist for that particular television production usually works on the embalmed bodies of Stalin, Mao, Uncle Ho and Dimitrov so the way Leo looked was not at all tired or weary but was probably one of her better jobs.

Dannyboy39
12th Oct 2012, 15:38
To be honest, I thought he answered all the questions excellently. And I'm certainly not Mike and Steve's biggest fans.

FR8364
12th Oct 2012, 17:06
Hi! Where can I watch the full interview? Still not availible in the Internet?

Regards.-

Ernest Lanc's
12th Oct 2012, 21:12
Hi! Where can I watch the full interview? Still not availible in the Internet?

BBC World Service - Hardtalk, Michael O?Leary, Ryanair Chief Executive (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00ywhjh)

Tableview
13th Oct 2012, 12:46
Just watched the whole interview. As usual MoL comes out of it very creditably, apart from when he started waffling about 'non-driverless trains' at Stansted and drones over Afghanistan.

I still despise the man for his business ethics but I admire him as a brilliant businessman and someone who can talk his way out of anything - kissing the Blarney Stone must have worked!

Stephen Sackur is a pussy cat - they need someone like Jon Snow to interview MoL. Or John Maytham.

(Who's John Maytham? ........... ..:: 567 CapeTalk ::.. (http://www.capetalk.co.za/profiles.asp?id=83) ... an exceptionally incisive and quick witted radio personality who hosts a talk show.)

RAT 5
13th Oct 2012, 12:58
There was a previous Hardtalk with MOL & Sackur a few months ago. I assume there are researchers who prepare the interview and provide the questions and associated briefing for the interviewer. Then it was quite obvious the researchers didn't know what were the real issues to be discussed and what darts to toss at MOL. The interview focused on medium priority issues and allowed MOL to deflect any sharp arrows with ease and spout his usual mantra. I suspect this was the same, not having seen it. Using researchers with low knowledge of their subject they will always tend towards the sensational controversy rather than a real deep-seated critical issue. In this case the interviewee knew more about the issues than the interviewer and so could fob him off too easily.
The same was true of his presentation in Brussels about innovation is modern business. It was pure propaganda, with some good points it's true, but very economical with the truth; and he got away with it. Green is always slimy and slippery.

racedo
13th Oct 2012, 13:09
The same was true of his presentation in Brussels about innovation is modern business. It was pure propaganda, with some good points it's true, but very economical with the truth; and he got away with it.

Which part was he economical with the truth ?

Fairdealfrank
14th Oct 2012, 00:31
Quote: "Stephen Sackur is a pussy cat - they need someone like Jon Snow to interview MoL. Or John Maytham.

(Who's John Maytham? ........... ..:: 567 CapeTalk ::.. (http://www.capetalk.co.za/profiles.asp?id=83) ... an exceptionally incisive and quick witted radio personality who hosts a talk show.)"

Jeremy Paxman...?

jabird
15th Oct 2012, 18:36
Watched it last night.

So I wasn't alone in thinking MOL had aged a bit.

Apart from that, he must be one of the few people out there who can turn what is supposed to be a tough-talking politics show into an advert for his low cost mantra.

Fair play.

racedo
15th Oct 2012, 19:11
So I wasn't alone in thinking MOL had aged a bit.

Having kids does that to you.

Bearcat
16th Oct 2012, 09:15
Racedo, does it not get embarrassing for you to defend how your boss actually looks on a public forum. Absolutely pathetic. My previous comments that your a paid hack for the FR PR machine is blatantly obvious.

racedo
16th Oct 2012, 09:23
Racedo, does it not get embarrassing for you to defend how your boss actually looks on a public forum. Absolutely pathetic. My previous comments that your a paid hack for the FR PR machine is blatantly obvious.

How :mad: stupid can you be..................don't answer that, its a rhetorical question.

I would love to be paid to be on here, I'm not but its nice that hacks like you are so up your own planet that its bothers you so much.

jabird
16th Oct 2012, 20:20
My previous comments that your a paid hack for the FR PR machine is blatantly obvious.

And why exactly are they so obvious?

I don't always agree with racedo, but he is perfectly entitled to be a staunch supporter of Ryanair if he wants to be. For all the haters out there, 70m+ pax pa can't be wrong. And no, before you even think about starting it, I have nothing to do with Ryanair at all (would say either, but I can't prove racedo is not a stooge any more than you can prove he is).

Fairdealfrank
16th Oct 2012, 20:34
Quote: "For all the haters out there, 70m+ pax pa can't be wrong."

Ha ha, jabird, always say that about Heathrow.

Quote: "And no, before you even think about starting it, I have nothing to do with Ryanair at all (would say either, but I can't prove racedo is not a stooge any more than you can prove he is)."

Exactly, just because someone expresses strong opinions or lays down the facts in a forthright way, it is puerile to say that they are a stooge.

jabird
16th Oct 2012, 20:38
Ha ha, jabird, always say that about Heathrow.

I know you do. Except I think Ryanair can grow more easily than Heathrow can!

Fairdealfrank
16th Oct 2012, 20:43
Quote: "I know you do. Except I think Ryanair can grow more easily than Heathrow can!"

You're probably right! What a waste of a stategic national asset!