PDA

View Full Version : Turbo C206

NzCaptainAndrew
11th Oct 2012, 13:40
Does anyone have experience flying a turbo 206? I'm about to start a new job parachute ops and the 206 here is a 1977 TU206G, I've read the POH and SOPs but looking for any extra tips/tricks :ok::ok:

**310HP TSIO-520-M

specialbrew
11th Oct 2012, 15:29
Keep that engine warm in the decent,and keep a touch of power on for landing empty otherwise diffficult to keep the nose off.

340drvr
12th Oct 2012, 13:29
Yikes, tough duty for a turbo, but, do-able. They don't really like rapid cycle times.
Take-off, full power, full rich, then at 500-1000 agl, go for a climb power setting, top-of-the-green for MP and RPM, mixture still full rich, (I don't remember the exact numbers, maybe 36" and 2450?). At altitude, cruise power, 30" and 2400?, mixture 75-100 deg. rich of peak, about 16-19? gph (I won't get into the lean of peak battle here).
Ideally, you'd like to reduce power gradually for descent and landing, a good rule of thumb is 1" of manifold pressure a minute, from say, cruise power at 30" to 22-20", probably off the turbo by then. So, that's 8-10 minutes from start of descent to final approach. This can be shortened a bit, but the more gentle and gradual, the better.
Then, there's the (dreaded) hot-start, for a Continental, follow the recommended book procedure, I don't have the POH available, but, basically, open throttle and mixture, run the boost pump for a good bit (10-20 seconds), then mixture cut-off, half throttle, crank the starter while very slowly bringing the mixture in. Sometimes, after a very quick stop, it will start without touching anything, just crack the throttle and mixture, but if that doesn't work at first crank, go to the boost pump procedure.
Don't know what you've been flying, but be sure you have a feel for the engine-out glide (just in case the worst happens!). The 206 will do OK, but they come down quite a bit steeper than a 172 or 182, first time during transition training is kind of a surprise.
I hope this helps, everyone's procedures may be somewhat varied, but this has always worked well for me in any TSIO-520 I've flown, T206, T210, C340, etc., but, usually, not with a quick up-and-down cycle. Even when doing training in the pattern, I like to extend the whole thing in order to have time form the gradual power reduction. As they say, YMMV.