PDA

View Full Version : Email hacking message from "Microsoft"

sky9
10th Oct 2012, 17:32
I have received notifications from Microsoft today informing me that 2 email addresses I use have had unusual activity on them inviting me to go to their website to change my email passwords. The site they direct me to is https://account.live.com. I am suspicious and have gone to my email provider and changed my password anyway.
Does anyone else have the same message with Windows live mail and anyone have any views at to whether this is a hacking attempt within live mail?

Milo Minderbinder
10th Oct 2012, 21:00
account.live.com is currently redirecting to login.live.com, which IS a Microsoft site

however I'd be surprised at M$ mailing you in this way - their usual style is to lock the account until you notice and contact them. Also sending links like that is a no-no
My guess is that the link isn't what it appears to be - and either hides a redirect to somewhere else, or else has malware embedded in it

Does the mail address you by name? Or by your e-mail address?

sky9
11th Oct 2012, 17:32
It addresses me by email address and is coming up now saying that there has been unauthorised attempts to get into my account. I am no longer directed to the MS site but it doesn't recognise my password and keeps bringing up a request to type in a number of letters.

I went onto the virgin media site and changed my password however livemail didn't recognise it although I am still receiving emails into livemail.
It is now plainly irritating as it is interfering with livemail but not stopping the emails coming in or going out.

Milo Minderbinder
11th Oct 2012, 20:07
"I am no longer directed to the MS site but it doesn't recognise my password and keeps bringing up a request to type in a number of letters. "

are you saying that when you try to log into windows live, your password is rejected?
if so, then your live / hotmail account has been hijacked and you need to take steps to claim it back

on a separate issue - I get the impression that you used a Virgin e-mail address as your Live identity? Thats never a good idea -far better to keep them apart

Finally "It addresses me by email address" indicates its a scam, any real warning would use your real name

You need to log into the REAL Windows Live website and set about reclaiming your account. Dont follow the links in the mail

TRC
12th Oct 2012, 07:46
Well, not an e-mail but I found this on my account when I tried to access it - my bold and underline:
Your account has been temporarily blocked

Someone may have used your account to send out a lot of junk messages or done something else that violates the Microsoft services agreement.
What do you need to do?
We'll send a verification code to your mobile phone. All you need is a phone that can receive text messages. After you enter the code, you can sign in.

They don't have - and never will have a phone number for me.

Anyone else had this message?

TZ350
12th Oct 2012, 08:38
There is a provision for a telephone number in your security profile. I've had the same twice before when my account was hijacked.

However, if you move to another country or have a mobile from another country, the profile always returns the country code to the country where you opened the account.

Effectively it's :mad: useless. Make sure your alternative email address is valid
to receive the verification code.

green granite
12th Oct 2012, 09:00
I have apart from my BT mail address, a hotmail account, I then opened a G_Mail account to send hotmail verification codes to and the G-Mail one goes to my hotmail account, both are non-attributable.

lomapaseo
12th Oct 2012, 14:11
Someone may have used your account to send out a lot of junk messages or done something else

That sentence is a key to a phishing request

the use of coloquial phrases like "junk mail" and "or done something else" are not expected in legit customer communications.

TRC
12th Oct 2012, 15:37
Thanks for the replies.

It doesn't look right to me either. I'll just let the account fade away I think, it's only for comms with my family etc, so easy enough to let them know a new address.

Can't trust anything any more :sad:.

Milo Minderbinder
12th Oct 2012, 19:49
TRC

thats almost certainly geniune

someone else had accessed the account and was sending spam
Microsoft have locked it to enable you to recover it

seen it many times