PDA

View Full Version : Website Software

DTVAirport
10th Oct 2012, 17:14
Evening all,

I'm one of the updaters on a website. We use Microsoft FrontPage but have acknowledged it will be obsolete before much longer and are looking for a long term replacement.

It needs to be something as simple as a FrontPage, i.e. a glorified Word document, where you can just open a page, input your information and click save without getting a million and one pop-ups along the way.

If anyone knows of anything, please let me know.

Thanks.

BOAC
10th Oct 2012, 18:19
I assume you have looked at Wordpress, Joomla and all the other?

mixture
10th Oct 2012, 21:59
Joomla

Having recently seen its use on a couple of projects, its a ghastly platform, confusing admin interface that's very badly put together.

What DTVAirport is probably looking for is a WYSIWYG HTML editor such as Adobe Dreamweaver, that's one of many examples that resembles Frontpage. If you want something Microsoft, then Frontpage's successor is probably Microsoft Expression.

BOAC
11th Oct 2012, 07:23
I agree with your Joomla comments.

Does Expression work on non-IE browsers? Frontpage did not function properly.

DTVAirport
17th Nov 2012, 21:13
Isn't there a second part to Microsoft Expression? Sharepoint Designer or something?

CharlieOneSix
17th Nov 2012, 22:12
Does Expression work on non-IE browsers? Frontpage did not function properly.

Expression Web 4 SP2 works fine for me on Firefox 16.0.2.

skylimey
21st Nov 2012, 23:30
Hi,

You may/may not be aware that many CMS (e.g. Wordpress) provide *almost* WYSIWYG on the textareas using a version of TinyMCE. More robust WYSIWYG editors are available as plugins.

This editing area for comments on PP are a pretty good example.

Now I'm back in the development biz, we use Wordpress for most of our sites, it's just easier.

Martin

Dick Fisher
25th Nov 2012, 16:42
I have been using Xara Designer for nearly 30 years in its various iterations, originally as a design tool for producing website graphics. However, the software has developed to such an extent now, that I can design a complete website using the software, including navigation etc and with one mouse press, export the whole site in one go. Xara generates the style sheets, the jpegs, the pngs and the html. The clever thing though, is that you can also use the software to create pdf documents for easy print, high res photo editing and so on.
I have no axe to grind, except as a very satisfied long term user. You can try before you buy at their website.