PDA

View Full Version : Grumman -V- Piper...

anawanahuanana
14th Apr 2001, 23:37
OK, Ive got to the stage of QXC for my PPL (with an embarrasing 65 hrs!), all on the Grumman AA-5A. Now the plane needs a new engine, and the owner can`t afford one so the plane will be offline for the foreseeable future. My only option now it to finish my training on the Warrior II. Can anyone give me any advice on the Warrior? Should I change aircraft, or hold out for the AA-5 to come back on line for the sake of continuity? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Mr Magoo
15th Apr 2001, 00:44
View's better out of the AA5 - PA28's heavier on the controls but a more stable platform - apart from that there's not much difference, except you'll have no PIO landing probs in the Warrior as the oleos absorb lots of energy rather than the fibreglass mains returning it with interest!!

Cheers

Magoo

CreepMark
16th Apr 2001, 06:13
Pa28 is a far better machine... areal airplane with aproper nosewheel and steering system. Speeds similar, handling a little heavier in the warrior but great to land.

continuity is ok if it going to be consistent(!)but hanging out for the aa5 wud be a mistake for to long....go have 3 hours conversion onto a warrior and crack on.

------------------
Climb Aboard, lets have some fun.

Puritan
16th Apr 2001, 12:17
Go and get it done would perhaps be the best advice, and personally I'd have thought that you'd only need about 1, or maybe 1.5, hour(s) to do the whole transition (mostly circuits) as speeds are similar (AA5A is actually a tadge quicker in the cruise, and uses a soupcon less gas).

Ps. I used to own an AA5A (although what I really wanted was a AA5B) and I loved it, it was roomier, faster, had really useful load space in the rear, plus almost helicopter-like forward vision, indeed it was much better IMHO then a PA28 (Nb. I've got about 150 hours in each) - and w.r.t. the landings (aka. looking after the nose gear leg), I suppose this much depends on your piloting abilities ;)
So, put an AA5A alongside a PA28 and ask me to choose and it'd be a no-brainer decision (imho).

tunneler
16th Apr 2001, 18:32
Fly the AA5A and B - Brilliant!!! :)

capt_kangeroo
17th Apr 2001, 12:47
I did my PPL in the AA5A and B and then converted onto the PA28 family.

The AA's are twitchier and I believe that if you can fly an AA well you won't have any problem with the Warrior. By the way, I prefer the Warrior/Archer. Its a stable tourer and has a good feel. But that's just me take on it. I'm sure the AA5A has a lot of fans too!

Raw Data
18th Apr 2001, 02:15
I have to agree with others. Many moons ago, I instructed on both types. I much prefer the AA5- especially the AA5B which is wonderful! However, the PA28 is an excellent training platform and allows a natural progression to the Arrow with its' CSU and retractable gear. That will give you an easier path later in your training- and when you climb into a Seminole (basically a twin-engined PA28), all will be familiar to you. Even the Seneca is not all that different.

Conclusion- I'd buy an AA5B, but I'd train in a PA28.