PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with the Toblerone Troll

WeatherJinx
10th Apr 2002, 14:19
WxJx has been watching with interest the reaction aroused by the postings of a certain Mr/Ms/Mrs Moritz Suter (or perhaps 'Moritz Suture' if he/she/it attends the GatBash as threatened) :D

Being, like a good number of PPRuNers, a long-time Net user I recognise this activity as a phenomenon known as 'Trolling', a.k.a. 'Trolling for Newbies'. This usually involves posting deliberately provocative/spurious/offensive opinions on Bulletin Boards and Usenet Newsgroups.

The older hands usually catch on pretty quickly as to what the Troll is up to and ignore their output, thus depriving them of the pleasure they seek. Newer users tend to react more vehemently, often flooding the board/group with 'Flames' (indignant, often personally abusive rebuttals of the Troll's argument).

It is important to note however that there is a clear distinction between Trolling and merely posting an honestly-held opinion that may be at odds with that of the wider community. This (along with Devil's Advocacy) I condone wholeheartedly - such diversity after all is what makes PPRuNe-ing such a compulsive activity!

I, like many of you though, find Moritz's output tiresome and often offensive (not to mention racist), but have never responded, preferring not to 'Feed the Troll'. However I now feel that this nasty, vindictive, puerile persona is beginning to spoil the PPRuNe experience for me and feel that it is time to fight back - properly.

To this end I suggest anyone else with a similar view show their agreement by responding to this thread and agreeing to deny ‘Suter’ the 'oxygen' of reaction. He will soon find somewhere else to play. Meanwhile, here's a couple of resources to keep you amused and informed whilst biting your collective lip (should you agree with me of course!):

FAQ about the alt.syntax.tactical newsgroup (an organised group of UseNet Trolls) (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/troll-faq/) - a bit technical but useful

Another article on the same subject (http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm) - but better written and easier to understand

What happened when I put our Moritz through an anagram generator (http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=moritz+suter) :D

As to his identity, I thought Pants On Fire's analysis was hilarious, but for what it's worth I think he could well turn out to be that cheeky Guv in the end ;)

WxJx :cool:

flapsforty
10th Apr 2002, 15:21
WxJx, like you, I find that reading Suter's output tends to spoil the pleasure I take in ppruning.

Hopefully your call will be heeded.

swashplate
10th Apr 2002, 15:49
I wonder if it's natterjack? :confused:

Good sites, wjxj!! :cool:

The Mistress
10th Apr 2002, 15:50
Ditto Flaps

I truly DIDN'T appreciate MS writing to me privately and offering to send me 'naughty' pictures. :mad:

AerBabe
10th Apr 2002, 16:16
Uh on... not Natterjack again...
Will we have to DASH around trying to put together a Masterplan again?

:D :D :D :D :D

pants on fire...
10th Apr 2002, 19:07
This is an excellent example WxJx!

The parallels between the fictional troll, Morris (or Mary) Sewer and a past real life troll are very significant. Like so many important lessons in life, they are taught to us as children in simple formats, which retain their relevance throughout our lifetimes, and indeed are never diminished through the span of time itself! ;)

This particular example, is even more relevant, as it involves an evil troll, goats, and a high mountain ecosystem! :)

See what becomes of the evil troll (http://www.funpagesforkids.com/billy/) when he upsets Gods creatures! :D

M. Sewer may well rue the day he stated that goats are not pretty!

The outcome, whilst severe, would, I believe, be probably most agreeable to those who peruse these pages! It is also an accurate predictor of the outcome for our own personal troll! ;)

redsnail
10th Apr 2002, 19:41
Mistaken identity.
Sorry.
:cool:

pants on fire...
10th Apr 2002, 22:19
Well, it appears that the Evil Troll, Count Toblerone of Sewer has been dealt!

Whilst we all remain Just another number", the evil troll aka Moritz Suter, now is identified by his tagline of Banned.

I'm not sure if it was the story of the 3 Billy Goats Gruff (above), or the frightening identikit description of Morris in the "Oral Sex and England" thread. :D :D

Anyway, to Monsiuer M. Sewer, I bid adieu!

Too bad, I had him pegged as Moira Stewart and he was about to start singing some charming Scottish songs! ;)

Until the next time. Good-Bye.
pof... XXXXX