View Full Version : Hoorah for Boris!

TheWizard
8th Oct 2012, 19:56
It seems our blonde haired, slightly aloof London Mayor has come up with the goods once again.

FREE LONDON UNDERGROUND TRAVEL FOR MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES*

BBC News - Tory conference: Boris Johnson pledges loyalty to Cameron (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19878360)

*terms and conditions apply

BlindWingy
8th Oct 2012, 20:00
"In uniform" - next to useless.

ShyTorque
8th Oct 2012, 20:10
FREE LONDON UNDERGROUND TRAVEL FOR MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES

Watch out for a Walt invasion!

BOAC
8th Oct 2012, 20:23
Thinks:

Can I still get into my Mess Kit and

Would it look odd on't Tube?

Backwards PLT
8th Oct 2012, 20:27
I predict that if there is ever a thread announcing free wine for all military for life, the first post will complain that it doesn't include grand crus.

Just This Once...
8th Oct 2012, 20:33
MoD orders all duty tube travel to be conducted in uniform; no exceptions unless you are 1 star or above.

MoD suggest suitable life insurance at own expense.

TomJoad
8th Oct 2012, 20:37
Err, teh MOD can suggest all it wants.

Great thing about advice is that it can be ignored.

Easy Street
8th Oct 2012, 20:44
MoD orders all duty tube travel to be conducted in uniform; no exceptions

That would get the inhabitants of Main Building wearing uniform, which would be A Good Thing in my view!

Tankertrashnav
8th Oct 2012, 21:00
When I was a student I had a mate who was an inspector in the Met who was doing a 3 year university degree on full pay (he even got a plain clothes allowance). On our trips to London it used to irk me that he could flash his police free travel pass while I had to shell out from my meagre grant (remember them?) for my tube ticket. Can't see Joe Public being terribly impressed seeing relatively well-paid servicemen, eg majors or equivalent on c£50+k, getting free travel while they are struggling to pay for their tube fare.

Mr Bollo
8th Oct 2012, 21:03
A couple of years ago I used to travel regularly from Wyton to Abbey Wood by train in uniform (RAF No. 2 including natty forage cap) . This included taking the Circle Line at various times of the day. I rarely got a 2nd glance. My boss at the time travelled more often resplendent in his Gp Capt SD cap and had a similar experience. We reckoned that compared to some of the "sights" on the Tube, we looked positively normal. So I wouldn't be too worried about life insurance - albeit I didn't venture "south of the river" or east of Kings Cross

FantomZorbin
8th Oct 2012, 21:26
Would it look odd on't Tube?

Very many years ago I was asked, along with several others, which company we drove for whilst eating in a transport 'caff' wearing Mess Kit ... we were there because the Dining-in night food had been inedible :yuk:

Krystal n chips
9th Oct 2012, 04:32
About a year ago, travelling back from Bristol ( off peak hrs ) I was intrigued to see a Gp.Capt no less ( with forage hat ) carrying a briefcase and lap top get on at Bristol Parkway and alight at New Street.

He did remember to carry both items of hand luggage with him.

seadrills
9th Oct 2012, 06:09
Having just spent an enjoyable few weeks in the centre if London, the idea to provide free travel in London fit servicemen came from ...... Servicemen .... We asked for it and we asked for the privilege to travel in uniform. At the moment the reputation if the Armed Forces is sky high. Hopefully this honour will maintain our reputation,

barnstormer1968
9th Oct 2012, 08:32
I think this could be a really good idea for the army and the navy, but a bit less so for the RAF.

It wont be any fun for an RAF bod to have worked all day and then be pestered on the journey home in the mistaken belief that they work for the RAC and can give out free motoring advice:E

Wensleydale
9th Oct 2012, 08:45
It wont be any fun for an RAF bod to have worked all day and then be pestered
on the journey home in the mistaken belief that they work for the RAC and can
give out free motoring advicehttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

Mind you, if it was a pilot then he would be only too happy to give the motoring advice because he is an expert in all things and knows far more than those incompetent mechanics etc etc etc............

Wander00
9th Oct 2012, 08:51
When as a sqn ldr I was one of the very few Crabs at Worthy Down I had to have a quiet word with the RSM and ask him tpo point out to his people that I was not "MOD Guard Force"

Whenurhappy
9th Oct 2012, 10:10
Uniform Wednesday is, I believe, still practised in Main Building. If it was made de riguer a fortune could be saved (both by the Budget Holders and the SP) on having to subsidise Oyster Cards.

I travelled a number of times on the Tube in a variety of uniforms - No 1s, No 2s, DPM, Mess Kit; nothing was ever said apart from a tourist (Canadian) who thought I was 'Royal Artillery' - I was returning from Uxbridge CCS and my back-pack strap covered 'Air Force' on the silly patches we had above our pockets on CS95. He was very pleasant, slapped me on the back and wished me well. However, I know that some women personnel are not happy about travelling in uniform - and that's understandable.

Heathrow Harry
9th Oct 2012, 10:18
First sign of the change in Russia was seeing a Colonel of the RVSN waiting for a tube at Oxford Circus - in full regimentals and with his reflective brief case polished like a mirror and chained to his wrist - think he had some sort of Lieutenant with him

Very smart indeed........................

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th Oct 2012, 10:50
All military personnel in Canada wear uniform in public whilst on duty, even at civilian conferences.

The French paratroopers (Legion) used to not even be allowed civvies. Is this still the case?

Flap62
9th Oct 2012, 11:19
I personally think seeing uniform (if propelry worn) around and about is great.

Just wondered if anyone could tell me why members of the armed services should be given free public transport though?

Wrathmonk
9th Oct 2012, 11:23
Mind you, if it was a pilot then he would

surely be in his 'grow-bag' :E

BlindWingy
9th Oct 2012, 11:24
I repeat - if uniform has to be worn, this is next to useless.

Roland Pulfrew
9th Oct 2012, 12:15
I repeat, if uniform has to be worn, this is next to useless

Why, in two parts - why do you think so? And why do you feel the need to repeat it? :hmm:

I can confirm that "CCF Wednesday" still exists in Main Building. I think uniform all the time is long overdue for all personnel in London. In recent years I have travelled in uniform numerous times by both civair and train and it has never been an issue. In a previous life I was lucky enough to have to attend NATO meetings in a number of capitals/MODs and I was always the one incorrectly dressed in a suit rather than uniform.

MSOCS
9th Oct 2012, 12:23
Perhaps its an impact statement; and by that I mean it sounds good when discussed in a sound bite, but the reality is more than disappointing. A pithy gesture from a government, struggling to incentivise the electorate mid-term? Are they becoming worried that the military covenant is frayed beyond recognition? Perhaps. No matter what the motivation I agree that it is badly implemented as those who will benefit from it the most are the ones who work in London and would be willing to commute in 'rig'. The majority of HM Armed Forces don't work there, won't work there and certainly wouldn't willingly travel around there in uniform just for a free Zone 1 pass.

I bet the option for non-uniform travel was on the table but they looked at the projected cost and decided perhaps they had better stump up the cash for the Bomber Command Memorial instead. At least that was news-worthy and a triumph of common sense.

Wrathmonk
9th Oct 2012, 13:23
can people genuinely not see the security risk

Bloody good job we didn't have anybody milling around in uniform at the various Olympic venues. Imagine how that would have increased the threat to both themselves and the other visitors.

Tankertrashnav
9th Oct 2012, 15:28
[QUOTE]
Its good to see the uniform worn smartly in the public eye and the troops who wear it to the shops these days do so with a sense of self awareness and spring in their step that my 'generation' didn't generally have - and probably with good reason. I was at Odiham this week and felt like a crusty old fart when I caught myself actually feeling pleased to see so much smartness on display!/QUOTE]

I hope Al R wont mind me quoting him from a post he put on this thread that I started a few years back. I think that's the point -if the troops are going to be travelling gratis on the tube (and I still can't see the justification for it) then at least let's hope that they dont commit some of the sartorial offences referred to on the thread! Oh, and hats on once you're out of the train please!

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/381385-wearing-uniform-public.html

Thelma Viaduct
9th Oct 2012, 18:48
Maybe they should stop sending people to get their limbs blown off in far away lands for reasons that don't concern us. Just an idea like, and it will save a few quid too.

TheWizard
9th Oct 2012, 20:01
I think this could be a really good idea for the army and the navy, but a bit less so for the RAF.

It wont be any fun for an RAF bod to have worked all day and then be pestered on the journey home in the mistaken belief that they work for the RAC and can give out free motoring advice:E

Or the navy being pestered and asked where the Village People are appearing on stage!

Big Bear
10th Oct 2012, 10:24
Up until recently I wore uniform in and around London on a regular basis, even on the train to Shabby Wood and back and I never had one single incident. The only slight annoynace is the amount of times you get asked for directions, but there again isn't that a sign of the trust that the general population put in those in uniform.

We are riding the crest of the Olympic wave, so why not enjoy wearing uniform in public instead of bitching and moaning about it.

Bear

Chicken Leg
10th Oct 2012, 10:54
BlindWingy I repeat - if uniform has to be worn, this is next to useless.
Good to see that no matter how good the news, you'll always get a whinger on these pages. :ugh:

Blacksheep
10th Oct 2012, 12:19
I think uniform all the time is long overdue for all personnel in London.The "deliberate" mistake in the movie "Battle of Britain" is that the staff in Fighter Command HQ are shown wearing uniform. According to historical records, they (including Lord Dowding) wore civilian clothes while working at HQ and only donned a uniform for visiting the various stations.

Roland Pulfrew
10th Oct 2012, 12:26
so why not enjoy wearing uniform in public instead of bitching and moaning about it.

:D:D:D

or can people genuinely not see the security risk?

Nope. I can understand not wishing to wear it in certain areas of certain cities but on public transport and around town generally; what risk do you see?

mike-wsm
10th Oct 2012, 12:41
Shabby Wood

:D :D :D

...just down the road from Sadly Broke.

Avitor
10th Oct 2012, 12:46
I have heard some seriously loaded comments about Boris, from rattled Cameron supporting Conservatives. Well they might tremble!

racedo
10th Oct 2012, 15:50
Good idea, though really want to be in the carraige when some scroat starts abusing someone in Uniform, will ask him / her to remove jacket so I can hold it and then happy to be one of the witnesses to outline how the scroats beat each other up.

If they need a hand then someone else will just have to hold the jacket :E

BlindWingy
10th Oct 2012, 16:21
I look forward to seeing everybody don uniform to travel on the tube. NOT! Totally useless.

Out Of Trim
10th Oct 2012, 16:32
I well remember whilst on a weekend pass during basic training at RAF Swinderby in 1979. As an 18 year old AC Bloggs; we had to travel in No1 uniform! I recall alighting a tube train alone at Waterloo to change to a good old British Rail service. I saw to my horror approximately 20 punk rocker types on the platform and thought to myself here we go!

I got plenty of looks; but they didn't say a word! Quite surprising really.

Ron Cake
10th Oct 2012, 16:57
....once had the embarrassment of riding on the tube in flying kit. We has delivered a Victor to St Athan for a major but the flight back to Maham was cancelled (Wx ,I think). In those days, if you were not picking up an aircraft post major, 'Lindholme Air' would send a Hastings to collect you or one of the Comm Sqns would send a Devon.

Anyway, we asked for MT but were refused and given railway warrants instead. So four of us in sweaty flying overalls and carrying all our kit boarded British Rail at Cardiff. We got some strange looks on the tube - people may have thought we were cleaners coming off shift.

....should have got a taxi for the cross London bit, but we knew we would never get our money back

Wensleydale
13th Oct 2012, 07:57
Its good to see the uniform worn smartly in the public eye and the troops who
wear it to the shops these days do so with a sense of self awareness and spring
in their step that my 'generation' didn't generally have - and probably with
good reason. I was at Odiham this week and felt like a crusty old fart when I
caught myself actually feeling pleased to see so much smartness on display

Unlike the WSOp that I saw outside my local Co-op yesterday who was wearing a flying suit (5 Sqn badges) minus any trace of a hat while he was stuffing a pasty into his mouth.:ugh:

thing
13th Oct 2012, 09:20
They have to eat something out of a wrapper every 45 minutes, surely you know that?

Tankertrashnav
13th Oct 2012, 10:09
I regularly serve one of those in the filling station where I work. Navy pilot, flying suit, no hat. Whatever happened to changing into flying gear on base? Oh, and does anyone in the Navy actually own a hat these days? I never see anyone wearing one.

The Old Fat One
13th Oct 2012, 12:55
Unlike the WSOp that I saw outside my local Co-op yesterday who was wearing a flying suit (5 Sqn badges) minus any trace of a hat while he was stuffing a pasty into his mouth.

Good on that fella...whoever he is. Got bollocked by OC PMS at Kinloss for snogging my bird outside the gym, in a flying suit suit minus hat. Guess we WSOPs just had slightly different priorities ;)

Wensleydale
13th Oct 2012, 13:24
Guess we WSOPs just had slightly different priorities http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

and low standards.

Arty Fufkin
13th Oct 2012, 13:46
And there I was thinking all ex navs worked in MacDonalds. You live and learn.

Tankertrashnav
13th Oct 2012, 14:23
And there I was thinking all ex navs worked in MacDonalds.

Nah - failed the IQ test for MacDonalds ;)

The Old Fat One
13th Oct 2012, 21:03
and low standards.

I refer the honourable gentlemen to studies which conclude that military "bull" is usually inversely proportional to operational performance, and also that a preference for such is usually a indicator of an anally retentive authoritarian personality.

But yes, in matters of drill, dress and deportment, my standards were rock bottom and remained so throughout a moderately successful career.

Which is why I never did any parades :E

Tankertrashnav
13th Oct 2012, 21:49
I refer the honourable gentlemen to studies which conclude that military "bull" is usually inversely proportional to operational performance, and also that a preference for such is usually a indicator of an anally retentive authoritarian personality.

Bull is one thing, walking around in public like a sack of proverbial tied in the middle is another. I'd like to see these "studies which conclude ..." - I rather think the honourable gentleman has made them up!

top_cover
12th Nov 2012, 17:59
Having attended a service in London yesterday I proceeded to catch the underground home, imagine my surprise to hear that I would have to pay to travel when I understood that for servicemen travelling in uniform it was free. Now is it that I have the rules wrong, or that the staff at Marble Arch tube station did not know the rules? I did have a look on the Internet to see which was which and I am still not sure of the answer as there is very little about the announcement made by boris in October. So was this a bit of bravado and vote catching by Boris or poor communication by TFL? Anybody know the rules and know where they are written?

lj101
12th Nov 2012, 18:03
Veterans travel in London

You can apply to join the Veterans Concessionary Travel Scheme in London if you are:

a veteran getting financial help under the War Pensions Scheme
a veteran getting regular financial help under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
a war widow or war widower getting financial help from the War Pensions or Armed Forces Compensation Schemes.
Under the Veterans Concessionary Travel Scheme, you will be issued with an Oyster photocard. You can use this to travel free at any time within London on the bus, underground, Docklands Light Railway (DLR), tram and London overground services.

You can find out more information about this scheme by contacting Transport for London. Their contact details are:

Helpline: 0845 331 9872 (open Monday to Friday, 9.00am – 5.00pm)
Website: Home | Transport for London (http://www.tfl.gov.uk).

Citizens Advice - Benefits and concessions for the Armed Forces, veterans and their families (http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_armed_forces_and_veterans_ew/benefits_and_concessions_for_the_armed_forces_veterans_and_t heir_families.htm#free_and_reduced_travel_costs)

Does that cover your question?

top_cover
12th Nov 2012, 18:10
Tks lj,
Doesn't really answer though. On 8th October the BBC reported that Boris had promised at the Tory conference that all servicemen in uniform would be given free London Underground travel. My question is was that a false promise? Or has it just not been passed to TFL?

essexlad
12th Nov 2012, 18:44
Ive only ever travelle home in uniform when i was in a rush to get to the train station and changing into civvies was going to be cutting i fine. Wasnt too bothered if i was in CS95 because it doesnt look a bag of s*** at the end of the working day. But felt i looked a state wearing blues that have creases all over my shirt and trousers after a full day at work. Would always change into civvies when i got into central london though. Just for my own peace of mind really

The Old Fat One
12th Nov 2012, 20:51
Bull is one thing, walking around in public like a sack of proverbial tied in the middle is another. I'd like to see these "studies which conclude ..." - I rather think the honourable gentleman has made them up!

I refer the honourable gentlemen to the performance of the viet cong and Israeli armed forces and rest my case.

PS

I believe those Zulu chaps did OK for a while as well.

Lima Juliet
12th Nov 2012, 21:50
I travelled on the Tube for free in No 1s last week - no problemo...

orgASMic
12th Nov 2012, 23:31
TfL chap at my local tube station waved me through on Sunday morning as I was en route to Westminster in No1s. Got to Westminster station to be told "Not on weekends, sir". "Not on Remembrance Sunday?" I asked. He took the hint and let me through. Still had to pay on the way home though.

Pontius Navigator
13th Nov 2012, 07:52
I suppose this weekday concession will be really useful for the daily commute. I hope that they pay the full wack for duty journeys and let the MOD pay rather than shagging the freebie as it is an easier option.

Maybe people will commute in uniform and change into civvies when they get to MB - saves travelling home in a scruffy uniform you have worn all day :)

isn't that a sign of the trust that the general population put in those in uniform.

As it is just after Remembrance Day this may bear repeating.

I was walking in town, in uniform, when I was hailed by this woman across the street. When I realised it was me she was shouting at I waited until she came across. She pressed a fiver in to my hand as she said she had missed the RAFA collection the week before and could I put this in the time for her.

Now that is Trust.

No, I didn't go to the golden arches, I did put it in the tin in accounts.