PDA

View Full Version : How should I prepare for OAT

MUST FLY
14th Apr 2001, 17:15
I'm starting at OAT on 27 July (provided the nice people at the bank will lend me some dosh) Does anyone have any tips on the best way to prepare, books to read etc.
I've got my old maths and physics books out but which areas are best to focus on, or should I go over the lot.

Many Thanks

capt beeky
14th Apr 2001, 18:34
Go somewhere else that won't hurt the bank balance as much. Your paying the extra just for some fancy marketing.

"Over the next year the marketing department will capitalise on the name and reputation of Oxford, not just the school, but also the inference of its association with the university". Kevin Wilson. Instructors meeting 1998.

rolling circle
15th Apr 2001, 03:55
Make sure that you are ready to be f****d around by amateurs. Just remember that you are coming to a school where the 'Head of Training' is in his first ever job in commercial aviation and the 'General Manager' used to sell newspapers on a street corner.

Enjoy!!

[This message has been edited by rolling circle (edited 14 April 2001).]

KATO
15th Apr 2001, 13:46
IF I WERE YOU AFTER MY TIME THERE,I WOULD GO
ON A RELAXATION/TEMPER CONTROL COURSE!!!

YOU ARE GOING TO PAY A LOT OF MONEY,DONT TAKE ANY S**T OFF THEM..

ENJOY IT

--NOT NOW--

Visual
16th Apr 2001, 12:08
Before you go to OATS remember to ring all your family and friends and tell them you are going missing for 14 months.

capt beeky
16th Apr 2001, 17:35
Seems like it hasn't got any better.

crankcase
17th Apr 2001, 03:31
Can anyone tell me the difference between OAT and every other commercial training school in the known universe? Oh, and at the risk of sounding extremely irritated by these obviously well thought out and objective replies, SHOW SOME F***ING SUPPORT FOR THOSE OF US WHO ARE JUST TRYING TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION, and tell this chap what he wants to know.

flyfish
17th Apr 2001, 03:55
If you can get hold of a set of PPL flight training manuals, then do and have a read through to give yourself a good knowledge base to work from.I am doing the modular route myself but i am led to believe that the intergrated courses are very intense and you may find yourself playing catchup on the groundschools side, so every bit that you read now and sinks in will help.
As for the comments on OATS, well i have never been there but they must be doing something right, alot of airlines seem to use them.I think before you commit to giving your huge sum of money to any school its common sense to check out as many of them as you can to see which one is for you.Hope this helps.
By the way I used the Trevor Thoms set of books for my PPL studies, which I have found to be a good grounding for the ATPL stuff.
Cheers and good luck.

CaptWinky
17th Apr 2001, 14:46
Well regardless of the bitching in this post about training orgs. I have just finished at OATS and found that the standard of training was good and the people friendly and helpful. The best thing that you can do to perpare in my opinion is to brush up your Maths (Trig, Formulas, Mental Arith, etc), Physics basics and get prepared to work HARD the couse is fun if you love Aviation and can be very rewarding but you have to work for it. Ignore people that tell you that it isn't worth it cos it IS go for it and good luck hope to hear you up there someday soon :)

P.S. to The person that said the guy in charge sold newspapers from street corners well Einstein worked in a post office!!!! Go Figure! :)

Suggs
17th Apr 2001, 16:43
Just thought that I'd see what people were saying about OATS.

I can tell you that the difference between this and other schools is that within 2 months of leaving I got a telephone call completely out of the blue from BA offering me an interview.

Subsequently got he job and have 500 plus hours on type B737.

As Ron Greenwood said if you want something badly enough you'll get it in the end.

GJB
17th Apr 2001, 16:59
Suggs

Can you tell us how you faired (ie pass results / %'s etc)

Mike McLoughlin
18th Apr 2001, 00:15
Hi, I'm the general manager at OAT and I would just like to thank those of you who try to give sensible replies to someone with a genuine question.

I really don't know why, but Rolling Circle seems to have a serious chip on his shoulder.

I can honestly say that most of what he says is absolute RUBBISH!!!!!! (this includes the bit about me selling newspapers. I admit I did do a paper round in 1960 when I was a 15yr old schoolboy and I have done many things since - but never sold newspapers!!!!)

If RC can't get a simple thing like that right how can anybody believe the rest of the drivel that he always comes out with whenever the name of OAT is raised?

I don't think it right that I enter into open correspondence on this forum. However, I will be very happy to give straightforward, honest and accurate answers to any questions about OAT that are e-mailed to me at [email protected]

Finally, RC please come and see me, I'm really interested in what your problem is.

Best wishes,

Mike

Speedbird 2946
18th Apr 2001, 02:50
Hoorah MM.. I wondered if anyone would stick up for OATS.. it has taken a bit of a bashing of late on PPRuNe so I think it's very decent of you to offer your personal e-mail address out. Maybe it's useful to note that I also did a paper round when younger, and have been a kitchen porter (dishwasher) so there's absolutely no reflection on your past and future success.

I look forward to meeting you very soon!!

SB 2946 :)

Come on you paper boyyyysssss.....

batty
18th Apr 2001, 12:44
I dont think there is that much pre-reading that you can do since the course covers everything you will need very well. The only thing I would suggest would be to brush up on you mental arithmetic and trig.

As for RC get a life if someone wants support give it to them. Im sure you never have with that kind of attitude, or at least have never listened to it! I left OATS two months ago and now have a job flying 737's thanks to Oxfords reputation and help. There may be a few things they could improve on (where hasn't) but overall I thought they were very good.

PS I used to wash dishes in a Cafe

[This message has been edited by batty (edited 18 April 2001).]

TrimTab
18th Apr 2001, 23:47
I would brush up on your maths, mental arithmetic and perhaps some daft things like learning reciprocals of headings! etc. I wouldn't go too deep into the PPL books although things like air space are the same, many of the things that are tought come from a commercial pilots perspective. Your first 99 hours of flying will be in the US too, where you will be given grounschool lectures on local rules etc.

In my opinion OATS provide excellent tution (flying and ground school) and great notes / feedback questions.

Lastly every training organisation can improve and would go downhill quickly if it stopped striving to be better.

Mike McLoughlin is doing a great job seeking everyones opinion re improvments at the school, both Mike and the customer service team are really approachable and their doors are always open ...so if you have a problem or question when you get here they will do their best to help. Good job Mike!

[This message has been edited by TrimTab (edited 18 April 2001).]

scroggs
19th Apr 2001, 01:43
Mike, thanks for your contribution. It makes a change to see a school facing down some of the less complementary comments on Pprune!

To those of you who wish to rubbish OAT or any other school, think carefully about what you say. As I and WWW have said many times before, if you want to have a go at a school, fine, but be prepared to identify youself to Pprune's moderators, and give details of the first-hand experience that has caused your discontent. We will not tolerate rumour-mongering or hearsay, and you may find that the subject schools won't, either!

EggBeta
19th Apr 2001, 01:45
Once you have paid your deposit, ask them if they will send the modular distance learning books to you, or one or two of them anyway. This will help loads. Also get up to speed on simple "O" level trig.
Its not difficult stuff, just thats there lots of it.

eagerbeaver
25th Apr 2001, 17:13
as i said before the school is what you make of it, sure its not perfect but name an organisation that is.
To all the OAT knockers you should spend more time focusing your energy more positively and dont throw an awful immpression to someone who is about to undertake probably most challenging adventure in their life.

Must fly, study a little (trig. and rearranging formulae), dont go mad there is lots of time to study when you are here, just arrive fresh and ready with a big smile, you will love it.

all the best

p.s i am away from here pretty soon so i am in a good mood!

Study a little