PDA

View Full Version : Training facility in Sydney's area: any advice

drag king
8th Oct 2012, 14:00
G'Day aviation guys 'n gals

I'll be soon loading the wagons and heading south, looking to start my JAA to CASA conversion at some point in Jan 2013. While I have a decent grip on the theory and administrative side of the business, I am still at high sea with selecting a place where to go and spend some cash for the flying...

Needless to say, I am aware of the fact that flight schools are all out for the same thing and everyone will promise they teach you up to a standard others can only dream of. However having already done one conversion and with some decent experience under my belt (albeit I will have not flown for few months when the time comes), I don't think I'll be completely lost so...the cheaper, the better!

Please don't flame me, I am not trying to scrap through but I would rather be in a place where I can do some job-networking beside the conversion/training rather that getting charged for the school shirt and stripes. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. I also understand this is a delicate subject here, due to PPrune advertising rules so PMs are welcome too.

Regards

DK :ok:

Ultralights
9th Oct 2012, 00:26
Red Baron at Bankstown, get your JAA converted and come out with an Aero endorsement, and andvanced aircraft control course.

LeadSled
9th Oct 2012, 07:34
drag king,
Another option, also kosher, is Schofields Flying Club, or have a look around Camden, SW of Sydney, and a very pleasant place to fly, without paying for all the taxi time at Bankstown.
Tootle pip!!

drag king
9th Oct 2012, 16:18
Many thanks for the inputs folks, keep them coming as it is a nice thing to compare!

One thing I forgot to ask (and it should had been my first question, I know...:uhoh:)...MEDICAL!

Easy to find "where" on the CASA website but do every med-practice charge the same price or not?

I usually struggle with the Ishihara Color Vision Test (those damn numbers hidden among the colored dots) but no problems with the Farnsworth lantern. Here in EU the alternative tests are held at the same facility but I am not sure how it works when you sit for your first Class I downunder, though. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers

Stallion85
9th Oct 2012, 21:11
You can do your medical in Europe, too! Where are you from?

will fly for food 06
10th Oct 2012, 07:22
You need to get an ARN which is easy to do. Fill out the form and email that with a picture of your passport to CASA. Once you have that you can get the eye test and medical done. I did mine in the UK and can pm you the links if required. I need to wear glasses to fly on my JAA Class one but dont need to on the CASA Class one.

drag king
10th Oct 2012, 08:35
ARN and other CASA forms all done and dusted, cheers! :)

I also have to wear specs in JAA-land but as I explained before I usually need an option for the color vision test (I had "tower-signals" shot at me in US and the Farnsworth lantern in EU) and figures to carry out all this in UK are quite horrendous for an Initial Class I. Hence my Qs on the "local" procedure and costs.

Have a good day!

DK ;)

will fly for food 06
10th Oct 2012, 10:29
No worries Drag King hope you get some answers.
My eye test in the UK cost £165 and the Class One was £327:sad:

drag king
13th Oct 2012, 16:33
Thanks everyone for the contributions so far and...wise words, evilducky!

I keep all my routine exams and I have just been through some recently, so I will carry them along for sure.

Cheers