PDA

View Full Version : British Helicopter Association .. Effective?

Savoia
6th Oct 2012, 07:47
I have in the past, and most specifically in relation to rotary access to the City of London, taken a couple of mild swipes at the BHA for their apparent inability to instigate initiative of behalf of the UK's rotary wing industry.

After reading Jeremy Parkin's recent article on Helihub regarding Helitech I feel compelled to take a further swipe and here's why:

BHA Chairman Brian Humphries stated that Helitech organisers Reed Exhibitions pay a stipend of £25,000 a year to BHA for their support, saying "We either had to make the best of it or opt out, placing our solvency in these tough times in doubt with the loss of £25k per annum".

We can only conclude that the BHA have gone against the wishes of the majority of its own membership purely because it wants to stay alive. With a full Council meeting of the BHA scheduled for next week, it seems quite extraordinary that BHA have made a major decision like this without consulting its membership, when those running the organisation clearly have many doubts themselves. If the membership value the work of the BHA, it would be they who financially support its ongoing work, and thus they who should make the decision whether or not to support Helitechech organisers Reed Exhibitions pay a stipend of £25,000 a year to BHA for their support, and that "we either had to make the best of it or opt out, placing our solvency in these tough times in doubt with the loss of £25k per annum".

BHA dilemma – Support Helitech move or go bust | Helihub - the Helicopter Industry Data Source (http://helihub.com/2012/10/04/bha-dilemma-support-helitech-move-or-go-bust/)

If what is reported is so, then I am disappointed that the BHA is so brazen about its dependency on Reed's contribution and so willing to mention this in relation to their decision to support Helitech's move to Excel.

To me it reveals a disappointing lack of backbone and calls into question BHA's commitment (and therefore ability) to effectively represent British rotary-wing interests.

Snarlie
6th Oct 2012, 10:33
I think Savoia mistakes the BHA or BHAB as was, for an organisation that ever had a backbone or, indeed ,any real appetite for representing its members` interests. It was always, at best, an annoying sideshow which may have slightly slowed some of the worst excesses of the CAA and at worst, a club for those who loved sitting on committees with a determination not to rock the boat. There have been a number of individuals who have put in long and dedicated graft to make a difference only to see their efforts torpedoed by a Council desperate not to upset the Establishment.

There have been innumerable examples of caving in, notably low level conflict with fast jets in the old Joint Airmiss Working Group, now renamed and the placid acceptance of `Death by JAR` which, with hindsight could have been totally avoided.

Perhaps the BHA should be regarded somewhat benignly as what it always aspired to be, an old boys` club for nostalgia and reminiscence.

OvertHawk
6th Oct 2012, 18:33
IMHO the BHA has become just another of many organisations that has become more concerned about maintaining it's power and influence and "being a player" than actually championing the issues that are important to those that it purports to represent (same reason i left BALPA - standing by to get flamed for that!)

Very sad, but hardly new.

I suggest that the industry would be better served by not bothering with them and arranging our own dinner once a year! (in fact - with what we save on membership fees we could go out twice a year!).

:rolleyes:

OH

Hedski
7th Oct 2012, 21:08
Well when the BHA supported a change in the rules regarding the consideration of standby periods at night during SAR shifts towards Working Time Directive totals I became contemptuous towards them. Blatantly towing a commercial line in the face of a flight safety and fatigue issue. :ugh:

ShyTorque
8th Oct 2012, 11:53
To me it reveals a disappointing lack of backbone and calls into question BHA's commitment (and therefore ability) to effectively represent British rotary-wing interests.

I agree; the one thing we really need is another heliport in the capital.

Is the BHA really just an old boys' luncheon club? :E

Savoia
8th Oct 2012, 13:13
I agree; the one thing we really need is another heliport in the capital.

Not just one Shy, several!

In the same way that innovative helicopter designs can stimulate sectors of the market; well designed appropriately placed helicopter landing facilities can do the same .. if tied to creative efficiency-enhancing incentives which bring benefits to users and providers (clients and operators) alike. Helipads/ports are crucial in this equation and can stimulate business and drive demand.

Modern cities served by multiple (usually [but not exclusively] roof top) helipads provide an indispensable advantage over those which do not and in a city such as London would be a godsend.

The opportunity is there for someone to push back against the tide of ineptness and dithering which has swept over the UK's rotary-wing industry with regard to city helicopter access. The BHA/B should have taken-up this fight long long ago .. and stuck with it until change was achieved!

ShyTorque
8th Oct 2012, 13:48
Surely there must be scope for access to land used for the Olympics. Payback time!

Hedski
8th Oct 2012, 20:26
What about a certain rooftop pad in Knightsbridge that was almost never used since it was built......