PDA

View Full Version : Private flight with CPL but with Medical Certificate Class 1 expired

plikee
5th Oct 2012, 14:56
Hi everyone!

My medical certificate class 1 expired yesterday, already renewed it but I'm still waiting for it to be delivered.

My question is:

Can I do a private flight (non-commercial) with my CPL licence but only with my Medical Certificate Class 2?

I know that to be eligible for a CPL licence, I must have a MC Class 1, but what I think that JAR-FCL says is that a Class 1 is needed for commercial flights, not private.

Can anyone clarify this to me ?

Thank you ! :ok:

peterc005
5th Oct 2012, 15:07
Yes.

If it a commercial flight you will need a Class 1 medical, for a private flight your Class 2 would be current and sufficient.

outofwhack
24th Oct 2012, 02:07
Here in OZ I have heard people argue that those people who trained directly to CPL without actually getting a PPL on the way can't legally fly at all (even privately) if their class 1 has expired.

I.e. They argue that the still valid class 2 is only useable if you have a PPL.

I say WTF let's use some common sense and not look for difficulties. Surely it's reasonable to assume the class 2 will be sufficient for private flights using a CPL as a defacto PPL.

OOW

plikee
24th Oct 2012, 22:49
peterc005, thank you very much!

outofwhack, here in Portugal, you do not need a Class 1 certificate while you're doing your training, however they are going to change that and they will require Class 1 for all students. But thanks for your help too.

In my medical certificate, it states in the Class 1 column that it is needed for commercial flights but doesn't say none in the Class 2 column .. So, i decided better to ask before do any flight with my medical class 1 expired.

Cheers !