PDA

View Full Version : SSO Engineer (ADF)

13Beast
4th Oct 2012, 13:25
Hi everyone,

I am a newbie to this forum, but figured it would be a good place to bounce some questions off the experienced folk in here :D

I am looking at studying Mechanical Engineering at a civilian university here in Australia, and hopefully qualifying for an undergraduate sponsorship from the ADF after my first year. I'm very interested in getting into an Aeronautical position with the Australian Army (working on choppers) or perhaps a similar role with the RAN/RAAF (choppers with the RAN, fixed wing with the RAAF). I also haven't ruled out a general M.Engineering role within the Army, or perhaps even a Marine Engineering role with the RAN, although these would be distant 2nd or 3rd choices, behind working within aviation in the ADF.

My one concern is that I am 32 years old, and can't see myself hitting university to start my degree until approximately 34 or 35 years old, which would then have me graduating at approximately 38-40 years old give or take.

I am currently in Japan and working quite a good sales job and putting savings away to help fund my endeavours at university when I return. I'd like to develop on my (brief so far) experience working in sales, as that should help a future life as an engineer as a civilian post-military, and may also enhance my attractiveness to the ADF as well. I will also need to budget 6-12 months to complete pre-requisite advanced maths and science units to qualify for Engineering at Uni (and a life as an SSO Engineering officer in the ADF).

My one burning question is; do I have a snowball's chance of actually getting an undergrad SSO sponsorship and later recruitment into the ADF at such an advanced age? Of course the general recruiting webpages state that people can be accepted well into their 50's, but I am curious as to the REAL hiring policy that takes place, and as to if I should re-adjust my plans accordingly.

If there are any current or former ADF Aeronautical/Mechanical/Marine Engineers, then I'd love to hear any advice you may have for me.

Much obliged,
David

cone zone
14th Oct 2012, 12:31
hi, my wife just happens to work in defence recruiting and she said there are no age limits.

good luck