PDA

View Full Version : Obscure IFR questions

canthelpit
4th Oct 2012, 11:08
Hello

Any one have a list of random IFR questions or just any really tricky ones for good future reference?
PM me if you like

Thanks in advance I love you

Riding the Goat
4th Oct 2012, 11:17
Find a pile of CASA Flight Safety Mags and do the IFR questions they have at the end of the mag. You will find plenty of good stuff in there.

compressor stall
4th Oct 2012, 12:08
How long before landing should one activate the PAPI?

maxgrad
4th Oct 2012, 12:40
150 metres or through 600 ft

Turbulent Eddy
4th Oct 2012, 13:52
2.4 seconds after the other pilot says "did you activate the PAPI?" ;)

PS - G'day CS :ok:

ShyTorque
4th Oct 2012, 14:51
Our squadron beefer (QHI) once stood up after morning briefing and said he could answer any question whatsoever to do with the rules.

I asked him: "With regard to the BBC radio time signals, what's the definitions for a "long" and a "short" pip?"

He turned to me and answered ":mad: off, ShyTorque!"

Well, it was an answer, I suppose..... :E

MakeItHappenCaptain
4th Oct 2012, 21:00
How long before landing should one activate the PAPI?

Not in the AIP, but you should give it 15 minutes to burn off any moisture in the lenses that may give a false slope.:ok:

Next?

mattyj
4th Oct 2012, 21:18
There is a correct answer for RPT..is it 30 min for arrival and 10 for departure? Its for all the lights ..Jepps somewhere? I don't have a check due..or a job for that matter :( so I've used my fairly limited data storage for My Kitchen Rules and topless pics of Kate Middleton

compressor stall
4th Oct 2012, 22:47
It's in the Jepps, and Makeithappencaptain almost as it. 10 mins, for moisture evaporation.

Whilst on the subject, you turn them on, get visual. Can/should you fly three reds?

G'day TE:ok:

glekichi
5th Oct 2012, 00:34
Which is fantastic where the PAL is designed to receive signals from aircraft at 15nm...

neville_nobody
5th Oct 2012, 01:49
Where is the FAF on the Baliina NDB-A Approach?

Shagpile
5th Oct 2012, 07:33
Why ask complicated questions?

More emphasis should be placed on the basics. Ask all the basic questions and make sure they are all correct

Hugh Jarse
5th Oct 2012, 08:35
A variation of Buys Ballot's Law (for the Met heads):

You're in a pub in the Southern Hemisphere, standing with your back to the bar. Which side are the good looking chicks standing on? (Do not consider the pussy gradient force at low latitudes).

OZBUSDRIVER
5th Oct 2012, 08:57
That's an easy one Jarse....the lowies are always to the left:8:}

Further proof, a lowie will turn in on you build up into too much work and spit you out much worse for wear, where a high class girl tends to turn away but if you get to her centre she will just naturally settles down with a promise of smooth operations for the duration:ok:

TOUCH-AND-GO
5th Oct 2012, 13:45
Reaching the minima on the ILS. How do you tell if you have 800m, 1.2k or 1.5k visibility? :)

T&G :ok:

expressinginterest
5th Oct 2012, 15:15
Just do a renewal with old mate SP touch and go?

Oktas8
5th Oct 2012, 23:47
How do you tell if you have 800m, 1.2k or 1.5k visibility?

I know this one. Pick me, pick me!

Before you start the approach find out the visibility or RVR.

If it's the one day in a thousand that is right on the RVR limit, brief the visual cues that you will need to make a final assessment at 200'. It helps to know that at 200' AAL you are 1150m from the PAPI and 850m from the runway end lights, on a standard installation.

If it's one of the 999 other days, relax.

noclue
6th Oct 2012, 03:25
What about an IFR RPT aircraft doing a night time straight in visual approach into a CTAF. Just prior to descending bellow the 10nm MSA you observe all the airport lights go out (power failure) luckily the lights have standby power and promptly come back on, however the high power apron flood lights do not (I believe they have a 15 min delay to allow them to cool down before coming back on).

Can you land?
Or do you have to wait for the flood lights to cool down and come back on?

TOUCH-AND-GO
6th Oct 2012, 03:38
Just do a renewal with old mate SP touch and go?

:ok:

I know this one. Pick me, pick me!

Before you start the approach find out the visibility or RVR.
*hands out a gold star*

Another question for those quiz heads!

Your IFR Charter aircraft has an altitude alerting system. It is written up as not providing the aural and visual warnings (approaching/deviating from assigned altitude). Can you take it flying? And are their any restriction? :)

Can you land?
Or do you have to wait for the flood lights to cool down and come back on?

I think you must wait for them to come back on.

Anthill
6th Oct 2012, 03:48
Making a RWY 16 twin NBD approach to circle and land RWY 34 at ML. At 1 nm final on RWY 34 you lose visibility. You are perfectly posioned to track straight ahead on the RWY 34 missed approach. Decribe your next actions in full. Give detailed reason for your actions. Is it permisable to track the RWY34 missed approach?

Bladeangle
6th Oct 2012, 04:38
Since the published missed approach for the 34 VOR starts at 1.5 from the aid, I guess you would have to then at least establish the aircraft in a climb towards the landing runway, in this case 34, to at least the circling minima and within the circling area before positioning the aircraft over the aid before beginning the published missed approach in either direction.