PDA

View Full Version : JFK transfer times BA to AA flights

SeLFish_Flyer
3rd Oct 2012, 20:52
Hi all, already posted in US section but thought I would ask here as well....

Am booked on a BA flight from LHR to JFK, arrives at 11:00am. Looking at a connecting flight down to MIA, and the 13:20 looks promising.
Will 2 hrs and a bit give me sufficient time to make the transfer please?

I am guessing it should do so long as bags come off quickly enough and BA flight not delayed? Looks like transfer between flights not too long, just the gap in between that worries me.

It is not an option to ticket right through as I am BA staff, so I have to book the two flights separate.

Thank you.

AdamFrisch
3rd Oct 2012, 23:49
Too tight. Remember, all flights connecting in the US need not only go through immigration (that's an easy 2hrs alone in most cases), but you also need to pick up and re-check your luggage, do security all over, TSA, etc. In Miami (which is as ****ty to connect at as is JFK), I almost lost the connection even with 4hrs in between. Never, ever connect in the US if you can avoid it. Connect somewhere else and go direct instead.

BlueTui
4th Oct 2012, 00:49
Can you not change your booking to a direct LHR-MIA?

Jarvy
4th Oct 2012, 12:18
I'm going to go against the majority and say you should be ok. BA fly into T7 which is better than most and its one stop on the air train (free for that bit).
As BA and AA work togeather now if you book them togeather that should help.
Just check your seat is bolted down, haha!

intortola
4th Oct 2012, 12:23
You say you are booked to JFK but looking at a connecting flight. You really need this all on 1 ticket, if for any reason BA is late or you miss the connection you may have to pay a change fee if it is a 2nd ticket. If you buy a through ticket and you miss flight AA will accomodate you on a later flight.
Not sure how we did it but transferred JFK in 59 minutes last week after AA flight from LHR was an hour late, arrived from LHR cleared immigration, collected bags, checked them again, cleared securiuty and made our flight to SJU with 5 minutes to spare, we were with AA on both flights though.

SeLFish_Flyer
4th Oct 2012, 14:30
Thanks to those that have answered.
To be clear, I am BA staff so the first ticket (LHR-FJK) is on a staff travel ticket (BA), the 2nd part will be a commercial ticket.

Looks like it will be tight, I may have to get a later flight JFK-MIA.

Thanks again.

Jarvy
4th Oct 2012, 19:48
As I said you sould be ok, just remember JFK is not one of the best airports with regard to thing to do at an airport.Poor shopping, food etc.....

SeLFish_Flyer
6th Oct 2012, 07:16
Thanks Jarvy, and others.
Have made slight change to plans given all the above.
On a slighly later flight from LHR, arrive JFK 12:35, then booked a commercial first vlass on AA at 17:20. Gives us just under 5 hours which means it should be stress free (if everything on time).
Terminal 8 looks like it has enough to keep us occupied in terms of food for kids and sending wife off to shop!
This gives us plenty if time to get off the BA flight, through immigration, over to T8, back through security etc before being able to chill out.
Should work very well as kids will be tired by the time the AA flight takes off so should get a power nap down to MIA...dady may have a quick 40 winks too!

The one thing that surprised me was that AA do not allow Domestic First Class passengers to use the lounge unless they buy a day pass!

Jarvy
6th Oct 2012, 12:42
Normal in the US for domestic to only allow entry to lounges if you pay or have the right credit card, regardless of your satus or ticket!