PDA

View Full Version : JFK transfer times

SeLFish_Flyer
3rd Oct 2012, 20:51
Hi.

Am booked on a BA flight from LHR to JFK, arrives at 11:00am. Looking at a connecting flight down to MIA, and the 13:20 looks promising.
Will 2 hrs and a bit give me sufficient time to make the transfer please?

I am guessing it should do so long as bags come off quickly enough and BA flight not delayed? Looks like transfer between flights not too long, just the gap in between that worries me.

It is not an option to ticket right through as I am BA staff, so I have to book the two flights separate.

Thank you.

Flyer1015
3rd Oct 2012, 23:42
What airline are you connecting on to MIA? I think your timing looks okay.

AdamFrisch
3rd Oct 2012, 23:59
Too tight. Remember, all flights connecting in the US need not only go through immigration (that's an easy 2hrs alone in most cases), but you also need to pick up and re-check your luggage, do security all over, TSA, etc. In Miami (which is as ****ty to connect at as is JFK), I almost lost the connection even with 4hrs in between. Never, ever connect in the US if you can avoid it. Connect somewhere else and go direct instead.

Rotorhead1026
4th Oct 2012, 14:15
Not enough time. Four hours minimum, as noted.

You might be able to save some money flying out of LGA to MIA. Give that five hours, and forget it if you've got a lot of luggage, but transport is available and cheap. :)

SeLFish_Flyer
4th Oct 2012, 14:36
All.

Thank you for your replies.
To Flyer1015 - the JFK-MIA will be American Airlines. So we land at T7 and transfer to T8.

Looks like the immigration is the problem so I will book the later AA flilght to give us 4+ hours rather than just 2.

As I say I am BA staff, so the first flight will be in Business Class (and the route to MIA is full in Club hence the look for an alternative route!) on staff travel. The flight from JFK-MIA can be either staff travel or commercial. It all depends on whether the flight looks empty enough!

Thanks again!

Flyer1015
6th Oct 2012, 04:59
Ah, ok I see. Yes, I'd go with the later flight.

SeLFish_Flyer
6th Oct 2012, 07:19
Thanks all again.
As posted in teh other thread too, have changed plans.
Am flying slightly later, land JFK 12:35, then on a First Class seat out of JFK at 17:20.
Gives nearly 5 hours at JFK which should cover off immigration, security, food for kids and a shopping trip for wife.
At least T8 looks like it has a few shops and eating places. I know the area round the BA gate at T7 is pretty poor for all that.

As I have said elsewhere it is strange that AA do not allow Domestic First Class passengers access to the lounges unless it is a transcontinental flight.

PCLCREW
6th Oct 2012, 12:11
I just did JFK-MIA on AA in first class... They gave me a lounge pass for free, but I was in my uniform as I was running from a flight I operated to get on this DHD.
You can buy a lounge pass for 50$USD could be worth it if you have 5 hours... The lounge is ok nothing special. I wasnt drinking as I was in my uniform but I saw that other pax were having to pay for drinks (strange).
Give me the TG(BKK) or SQ(SIN) lounge please!