PDA

View Full Version : Nice tracking down (up?) the Mall!

overstress
9th Apr 2002, 22:17
Well I thought the BBMF did a nice job at HMQEQM's sending-off.

Man-on-the-fence
10th Apr 2002, 08:02
Very moving tribute

Congratulations to all members of all brances involved, you have succeded in putting the Great back into Britain , despite the best efforts of the to$$er at No10.

You all have my deepest respect and thanks, may the Queen Mum rest in peace

Surly Bondslipper
10th Apr 2002, 09:21
Yes indeed, much respeck to the B of B Flight.

It was a good moment in an impeccable ceremony, and nice to see both the Queen and the D of E craning their necks up throught their sunroof to watch the flypast.

It was also very thoughtful (although possibly not a major factor in the planning) to include my office in the flypast. :) There is no nicer way of being awakened from a mid-morning 'power nap' than by six Merlins.

doubledolphins
10th Apr 2002, 11:40
Looked and sounded good on the TV as well. Simple question to those that were there though. Did they go round again? or was that just a bit of TV editing.

Man-on-the-fence
10th Apr 2002, 11:50
Nit pick on

Not 6 Merlins but 4 Merlins and 2 Griffons

Nit Pick Off

:D :D :D

Flap62
10th Apr 2002, 12:28
Right hand Spit looked well out to me!

Gainesy
10th Apr 2002, 12:39
Pratt on Sky News: "And now the evocative sound of the Spitfires and Lancaster blah, gibber blah..." His voice-over completely drowned the sound that he couldn't any way describe. :rolleyes:

TL Thou
10th Apr 2002, 13:04
They did go round again...the sound sort of went...

BRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Lovely. Almost as good as my Old TL Thou at full chat.:D

Chris Kebab
10th Apr 2002, 13:38
Methinks you're being a bit of a rascal Flap62

Flap62
10th Apr 2002, 15:01
I have to admit that I wasn't at the brief so I don't know what datums were briefed but it certainly looked liked both Spits were using different ones! I guess that's what happens when you let a bunch of aggressively below average AD mates lose in a single seater

Scud-U-Like
10th Apr 2002, 15:47
The ceremonial for the Queen Mother's send-off was a credit to our armed forces.

She was a remarkable woman and (save for her rather shoddy treatment of the Duchess of Windsor) led a blameless and glorious life.

End of an era.

Flatus Veteranus
10th Apr 2002, 15:58
I made it that the cortège were about 3 mins late leaving the Abbey. Probably because some God-botherer put in an extra, and long-winded prayer, that was not in the form of service published in the DT. In consequence the cortège seemed only to be just about entering the Mall when the fly- past arrived. Just as well the Spits had the gas to do it twice! All round, a brilliant display by the armed services and all taking part deserve warmest congratulations. The only sour notes were played by the buglers in the Last Post and Reveille, who were duly panned in The Times this morning, poor sods.

Climebear
10th Apr 2002, 16:49
Well done guys. And the guys on the Ground QCS, RAF Cosford and RAF Halton.

I watched the ceremony on BBC World in the duty office of a UN Peacekeeping det over 1000 miles away. I was the only Brit in the office of many other nationalities. The whole event reinforced my pride in GB and the British Armed Forces (having served in 2 of them now). We may not have the best toys to play with, but when we do things we do them b***dy well and with style.

God bless her.

Chris Kebab
10th Apr 2002, 18:17
Oh dear flap62, looks like you are not just being a rascal but something altogether more unpleasant. A curious rant.

doh-nut boy
10th Apr 2002, 18:38
Fully agree, crackin performance, could have only been made better if the Spits could have bagged a couple of Me109s over Hyde park.

Then let the guards bayonet the escaping Bosch ..............and aim the Artillery pieces at Northern France..................and then..................forget it am getting carried away, time for some more pills

Wycombe
10th Apr 2002, 20:47
Nice interview given by The "Major" earlier on in the morning on Radio 5 aswell

Busta
11th Apr 2002, 00:19
Good to see Major Day still going strong.

Few things matter very much,most things don't matter at all.

Flap62
11th Apr 2002, 07:32
Don't get me wrong - thought that the whole thing was a credit to all the armed forces. No other nation could have pulled it off so professionally and to know that the troops were not just ceremonial but also some of the most effective fighting men and women in the world makes the heart sing. Doesn't change the fact that the right hand spit looked out (looked like he had a bootfull of rudder in on both tv and papers).

solotk
11th Apr 2002, 12:29
Paul "Wings" Day, was interviewed on BBC Look North in the evening, which was seen by a mate, who only caught the last part of it, but he seemed to say that the second run had been unplanned and they did it again because the first run had been slightly off line. Apparently the timing/line on the second run were perfect

Tony

solotk
11th Apr 2002, 12:33
http://news.mod.uk/img/pressdatabase/images/supportingImages//large/flypast1_tn.jpg

This taken from the nose of the Lanc..... looks pretty plumb to me, as you would expect from highly experienced 4 engined mates
:)

Tony