PDA

View Full Version : Bringing alcohol into the U.S.

flynverted
2nd Oct 2012, 11:31
G'day
U.S. passport, Australian permanent resident. Will be traveling YSYD to KLAX next week and I have a case (6 bottles) of rum I would like to take with me, 700 ml each. The duty free limit is 1 liter per person and there are 2 of us traveling, so we will be allowed 2 liters. Six months age we took 3 X 700 ml, no problem. :ok: However, this time I'd like to take 6 bottles as gifts (Can't get Bundy rum in the U.S.)
Had a look around on the U.S. Customs website but didn't really find anything helpful. :confused: The bottles are $85 AUD each. I just don't wanna end up paying more than what they are worth to U.S. customs.

Any help, advice, suggestion all appreciated. :ok:

galaxy flyer
2nd Oct 2012, 21:45
TTB | Tax and Fee Rates (http://www.ttb.gov/tax_audit/atftaxes.shtml)

California ABC - Importing Alcoholic Beverages (http://www.abc.ca.gov/permits/importing.html)

http://www.usitc.gov/publications/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/1210C22.pdf

Here are the web references. Top is the alcohol taxes collected by the IRS, the bottom is the duty charges, if you scramble thru the document you will find the exact charge. All of these are relatively minor compared to the price of Bundy nowadays. Because you are "importing" them into California for personal use or as a gift, I included what appears to be the controlling California rules on importation. The Customs officer will enforce the state law, as shown on the CBP website, but it doesn't appear to be a problem. California allows 60 liters! Good piss up, that'd be,

My experience over the years is liquor generates sufficient dollars that they do collect the taxes and duty. In the USAF, We had guys bring in cases from Europe and it was never an issue. You will pay both the duty and the US tax. It looks like it might be $20 US for the four bottles, assuming 750ml. Doable and a great gift!

I'm not a lawyer, only play one on Pprune

GF

galaxy flyer
2nd Oct 2012, 21:54
Apologies for missing the size of the bottles. I was going thru about 4 websites and composing the post in a Word doc. Just adjust accordingly.

Our AF guys would get tagged for the charges sometimes, sometimes not, spotty. Just be honest and it should be fine.

GF

flynverted
3rd Oct 2012, 10:30
Thanks GF. :ok: I did manage to find your last link a few days ago and found it a bit confusing. :confused:

Will take all 6 then, 3 as gifts and 3 to drink. :ok: Cheers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/flynverted/rumbo002.jpg

Bushfiva
3rd Oct 2012, 10:39
Sorry if I didn't read preceding posts closely enough. "Duty free" refers to whether you paid duty. If you bought the stuff outside an airport duty-free shop, then you paid duty and your limit is different. Personal experience: 156 liters of duty-paid beer which caused multiple head explosions and a lot of general embuggerance until all parties concurred that no extra duty was payable.

In general, the rules are not asking the question "have you paid our duty?" but rather "have you paid duty anywhere?" Affirmative to the latter, then things are much more relaxed although you need to be patient with the customs people sometimes.

flynverted
21st Nov 2012, 09:53
Finally back in Oz after 6 weeks stateside. :ok: Qantas managed to get my bag from YBRK>YBNE>YSYD>KLAX without breaking any of my bottles of rum (in my bag wrapped in bubble wrap and clothing) :ok: but somewhere between KLAX>KIAH>KIND DL managed to break 5 of the 6 bottles. :{ :ugh: := :confused: Dickheads. 85 dollars each.

On the plus side, we managed to bring back to Oz a few bottles of moonshine (unbroken, thanks Qantas :ok:) and a few cartons of smokes without being charged duty at customs. :E

Thanks again for your info, GF :ok:

obgraham
21st Nov 2012, 16:05
So what happened at Customs in the US -- did they charge you the duty on your overage?

When I brought in a case of 12 of wine, the guy just looked at me, smiled, and said "enjoy your wine".

galaxy flyer
22nd Nov 2012, 00:37
FIVE bottles of Bundy gone! The Humanity, The Tragedy!

From what Aussie friends say, "nothing says home like a Red Rat parked at LAX."

GF

flynverted
22nd Nov 2012, 11:44
obgraham; Filled out the declaration card inbound to KLAX, walked through customs no questions asked. :ok:
Entered customs at YSYD, the guy asked if we had anything to declare. I said yes, food alcohol and tobacco. He said to go through line 2. We went to line 2, no one there, we walked straight through and out the door... :E

GF, yep, 5 of 6 bottles, all wrapped in bubble wrap and wrapped around clothes, was sure they would be ok... :ugh: but no, no gifts for family and friends. :confused:

Pleasant sight in YBNE, one of my old airlines ( USAir) F100 sitting behind the cargo ramp. :ok: Nice to see the old colors again :cool:

6 flights over, 8 flights back, tired of dragging bags through airports and putting up with idiots at insecurity, good to be back home...

obgraham
22nd Nov 2012, 16:19
Verted:
Good news, except for the busted bottles bit.
I think as long as you declare the booze, and are prepared to pay the duty if asked, there's a good chance you won't have to.

galaxy flyer
22nd Nov 2012, 20:26
Ex-USAir, so how did you win up in Rochampton? I might be envious, but never been to Rockie.

GF

flynverted
23rd Nov 2012, 07:55
Long story, GF. Worked for USAir for about 5 years at KRIC, was at work during 911, could see the smoke from the pentagon fire. Afterwards I got tired of being treated like a terrorist every morning when I went to work so I pissed off back to KFWA and worked for Kitty Hawk Air Cargo til they went tits up. :{

Ended up in YROM running a flight school til my instructor went on holidays and never cane back. :mad: :ugh: AOC in Brisbane wouldn't approve another instructor as he didn't want anymore remote instructors. :mad: :mad: Did a few odd jobs, dabbled in real estate, met my girlfriend and we moved around Qld for her work, and we ended up in Rocky. Rocky itself sucks, but 30 minutes away is this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/flynverted/emu_park/beach053.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/flynverted/emu_park/beach017.jpg
:ok:

We spend lots of time there