View Full Version : Blackpool/I.O.M./Belfast

Niaga Dessip
9th Apr 2002, 21:18
From Blackpoolspotters.com:

British North West Airlines Launch date confirmed

... will now commence daily service to the Isle of Man and Belfast (Aldergrove) from Blackpool on Wednesday 10th April with a Bandeirante. Seats are initially being sold at £69 and £89 return plus tax. Web site www.britishnorthwestairlinesltd.co.uk

BNWA are a new outfit with strong Comed connections. The Blackpool Airport website has yet to acknowledge their existance. I wish them well but Keenair are also operating BLK/IOM, a route that one operator has found difficult to make sustain.... More tears, I fear
:confused:

Cheers,
Niaga Dessip

Standard Noise
9th Apr 2002, 21:30
"Flights operated under agreement with Woodgate Aviation"
Does that mean BLK-BFS in the back of an Aztec then, oohh all for £105 one way, how quaint......

More often than not, the Comed-y Bandits needed a good doctor to get them moving and subsequently the nice businessmen ahd to sit in an Aztec or Navajo......what luxury!

Niaga Dessip
9th Apr 2002, 21:47
It seems that the Navajo is being used to IOM while a leased in Bandit from Sky Services is operating the Belfast route.
ND

Niaga Dessip
10th Apr 2002, 21:38
Not sure if they got off to Belfast today, but this is from www.blackpoolonline.co.uk:

Published: Tuesday, 9 April 2002, 02:14 PM GMT
Legal action on cards in air row
By Dawn Pickering

A NEW airline is threatening legal action claiming that Blackpool Airport is trying to scupper its business by removing promotional material.

British North West Airlines (BNWA) launched its new service between Blackpool and the Isle of Man yesterday.

But a row broke out within hours with allegations that leaflets and posters displayed to advertise the new company had vanished. Airport bosses are denying the claims.

Robert Murgatroyd, BNWA's commercial manager, said he and partner Niel Wild, BNWA's managing director, are already consulting a solicitor.

Mr Murgatroyd managed Comed Aviation whose Irish Sea routes were grounded last year after Blackpool Airport impounded its aircraft saying it could no longer support the company's mounting debts.

BNWA is now in direct competition with Liverpool-based Flykeen which began a twice-daily service from Blackpool to the Isle of Man earlier this year.

Today Mr Murgatroyd said: "The airline launched successfully yesterday, contrary to rumours.

"We are disappointed with the attitude of the management and some staff at Blackpool Airport – they are being like schoolboys deliberately removing any leaflets put out for display. What they are trying to do is run a monopoly for Flykeen by not allowing any competition.

"We are considering legal action."

BNWA carried seven passengers on its Piper Chieftan PA31 which made two return flights yesterday morning and afternoon.
Because the company is currently in the process of applying to the Civil Aviation Authority for an operating licence, they are currently contracting licences from Sky Service in Belgium and Woodgate Aviation in the Isle of Man.

As from tomorrow, a third leg to the journey will be included with a stop at Belfast Airport.

BNWA had original been earmarked to launch on Easter Monday but this was set back a week due to technical problems.

The company's computers are currently not linking to a central database at Gatwick which travel agents nationwide use to take bookings.

Mr Murgatroyd said that they he was confident that this "technical glitch" will be overcome today.

Blackpool Airport has declined to comment.

There is only one answer for it - I'm off to the pub.
Niaga Dessip:p

Standard Noise
10th Apr 2002, 22:03
...........in something faster and infinitely more comfortable than a Chieftain, I'll bet!