PDA

View Full Version : TEST PILOT (career advice)

bornpilot007
1st Oct 2012, 06:14
I am reading this forum for some years now with great pleasure. I am 22 yr old undergraduate, undergoing Commercial pilot licensing program from CAE (NFTI) gondia, India. Initially i joined Indian air force to be a fighter pilot....but i failed in some 'physical training' tests following a knee injury.
what would be the advice for me to initiate my endeavors to become a test pilot, also i want to know if i can get into fighter flying someday.

Any of your thoughts and ideas are very much appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance!

peeush
1st Oct 2012, 12:59
There are no civil test pilot training establishments in India. IAF Test Pilots' school is the only institute for the purpose, and they may accept candidates from other than the three services, however, the cost would be prohibitive for someone to take the course individually. Other test crew training establishments around the world may have the same take.

bornpilot007
2nd Oct 2012, 07:42
I want to know the following:-
1) educational qualification to be a test pilot- aeronautical or aerospace engineering ? if yes then where should i do it from?
2) minimum flying experience
3) any stipulated procedure to enroll in flight testing
4) test pilot schools abroad.. particularly in Russia, Ukraine, France, England

SloppyJoe
2nd Oct 2012, 19:04
You have not even got a CPL. To be a test pilot you almost always have to have a military background and have been through the test pilot school after many years flying.

Education is not relevant in your situation, you have no experience as a pilot.

You may find a test pilot school willing to take your money once you have a CPL but this will be the same as paying for an A380 rating with no other experience, you can get it but wont find a job.

You obviously do not understand so maybe think of it like trying to get a job as a consultant brain surgeon when all you have done is a 1st aid course.

Sorry to sound harsh but I don't want you to waste your money. If you currently have 0 - very few hours you will not be able to be a test pilot. If you are lucky and your career takes off, 15 years from now you may be able to give it a try.

Denti
3rd Oct 2012, 19:02
The national test pilot school in california allows civil entrants into its Test Pilot Professional Course. One needs at least 750 hours PIC and a bachelor degree in math, science or engineering and needs to be medically fit.

However the cost of that 51 week course is quite steep with 950.000$ at the moment (prices may change without prior notice).

If you count in the plethora of needed preparation courses that would about double that pricetag.

So you need to get a degree, enough hours and around two million US $ to start thinking about becoming a test pilot. And then you have to compete against experienced military and company or government sponsored pilots.

fantom
3rd Oct 2012, 19:16
Oh, and you have to be a superb pilot as well.

I mean superb.

Lightning Mate
4th Oct 2012, 09:37
...and that's the end of that I hope!

Sydy
4th Oct 2012, 11:01
I'd say it is the end of his hopes...

Anyway, if he really wants it, he will find a way...

Good luck,

Sydy

RVR800
4th Oct 2012, 12:29
Not may stand a tiny, tiny, tiny chance if the world economy booms and he wins the lottery and ..