PDA

View Full Version : Finding MS-DOS Names With WinXP Pro

mfuller_uk
9th Apr 2002, 19:30
Can anyone help me?

I need to find the MS-DOS names of several files so that i can reference then in some VBA code. I am having to use their ms dos names as VBA does not seem to like/recongine there windows names. I had no problem with this when i started writing this system however since then i have upgraded to winxp pro, and as obviously microsoft does not want to dwell on the almost prehistoric operating system called MS-DOS, I cant seem to find the MS-DOS Names.

I have tried copying the files to a win98SE computer, however the MS-DOS names will be different on the WinXp pro computer as the hard drive is different and therefore contains different files so the MS-DOS names will be different.

Thanks in advance/anticipation

Michael Fuller PAFP
[email protected]

FL310
9th Apr 2002, 20:17
what do you mean with MS-DOS names?

Dos was, is and will ever be able to have 8 characters before the dot and up to three after the dot.
If a filename is longer than 8 characters than the tilde ~ is used to abbreviate the name. The extension is always the same, in Dos as well as in Windows (any version).

If you cannot see the extension and need the extension to include in your prog, set Windows Explorer to show the extension...in Explorer click on TOOLS than FOLDER OPTION than VIEW and see that the HIDE FILE EXTENSIONS.... is unchecked.

If you have trouble in giving your prog the right direction, think about your directories as well, only old-DOS short names are accepted.

BayAreaLondoner
10th Apr 2002, 00:39
I don't really understand the question, but if you simply want to look at the 8.3 names, open up a Command Prompt and type DIR /X

Mac the Knife
10th Apr 2002, 20:21
I suggest that you be very careful doing this. The 8.3 'DOS' filename that Win9.x generates from LFNs is dynamic, not static. IOW it may change if other files with similar LFNs are added to the folder. Stick to the 8.3 format to avoid nasty surprises.