PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream Type Rating / By-the-day flying jobs

Airhogg
29th Sep 2012, 00:05
I flew 1500 hrs in Dash 8's for Mesa Airlines in the US in the 90's, was about to upgrade to captain when I got a call from Emery Worldwide to fly the DC8 and 10. Never got typed in any of these as the company went t.u. just before 911.. I had young teenagers at home, so frustrated, I decided to hang it up and go back to construction and real estate. I started a renewable fuel technology company which I am still involved in today. My kids are now graduating college, my company will soon be purchased by venture capitalists and I miss the flight deck. I can still fly another 8 years assuming I can get hired somewhere. I haven't flown for 10 years. To get current, I thought about getting typed in the Dash 8, given the time I have already, but a friend (747 captain) says I'm probably too old, suggests instead getting typed in a G-IV or V and try flying by-the-day jobs.
Anybody know who has the best deal on Gulfstream initial, types, recommended model to get qual'd in and / or knowledge of by-the-day flying?
Many thanks.

Kelly Hopper
29th Sep 2012, 14:41
$70,000 to get typed in a jet (1st?) that is in little use around the world compared to other BJ's in the hope that you might pick up some freelancing? Are you serious? :=

ksjc
29th Sep 2012, 14:56
There have been many discussions about your questions, including type-rating costs, on this forum. Try the search.

Your 747 friend is, in my opinion, another misguided airline pilot who believes it's easy to walk into corporate aviation and find a job as though it's an entry level position. Not easy at all but many still think a sure-fire Plan B is to fall back to biz jets.

Business aviation is a different world now and airline guys are often out of touch with the biz jet world. Pay scale, equipment and quality of life often much better than airlines offer...and the good corporate jobs are much more difficult to get....at least in the US.

Suggest you get current again and spend time at your local airport (Truckee?) to see if you can get some right seat time on a Citation or some such thing. Despite your 1500 hours on Dash-8 you are essentially starting over again. You would be surprised how much has changed.

Flying Mechanic
1st Oct 2012, 07:11
Get down to your local airport and try get flying in anything!once you are back in the groove, network like crazy. Corporate is all about who u know.

fleigle
1st Oct 2012, 15:16
Pop on down to FSI in Long Beach for a couple of days, talk to them and maybe get a look at a Sim, then see the Queen Mary and also take a trip to Catalina Island on the ferry.
You'll have a look-see and get your head into a modern cockpit, and a couple of days off to boot.
f

mutt
1st Oct 2012, 16:24
I flew 1500 hrs in Dash 8's for Mesa Airlines in the US in the 90's, was about to upgrade to captain when I got a call from Emery Worldwide to fly the DC8 and 10. To me it sounds as if the OP has a lot more than 1500 hours, however to get a $40,000 type rating means that you have to get about 50 days of work in the first year to pay for the rating, average daily rate for G4 right now appears to be around $800, before you start to earn any money to put food on the table :)

Mutt

galaxy flyer
2nd Oct 2012, 01:01
In the us, a "wet" type won't get you into a BizJet cockpit. Very unrealistic and expensive advice. Your Mesa time isn't likely to be favorable experience in the sense, it is just not relevant to today's corporate jet flying. And, there are lots of experienced Gulstream guys looking for work.

Sorry, but the bark off truth.

GF