PDA

View Full Version : IMC some questions.

Si
15th Jul 2001, 17:13
Hey,

Just contemplating on doing my IMC due to the weather here in the UK!

What does the course include? do you learn how to do ILS approaches? I originally posted this on the Flying Instructors page but no one is answering.

Cheers

Crowe
15th Jul 2001, 19:21
Hello Si

Yes - the IMC does teach you to do ILS approaches, though with lower minima than a full instrument rating. Basically if you can't see the ground at 600' agl (or more for some approaches) you have to go around. An IR pilot could carry on to 0' , assuming his plane was equipped for it.

It's well worth doing - hard to build hours in this country without it really - plus nothing beats emerging from all the low mucky cloud that covers Britain into bright sunshine - it's always sunny if you go high enough....

I know some people say it's not worth doing anymore, as you get nothing off the IR, but it's good instrument practice, and you'll probably complete your IR quicker if you're used to instrument flying.

Good luck with it.

SKYYACHT
17th Jul 2001, 22:00
Not only will you learn the joys of precision approaches, ie., the ILS, you will in all probability have a crack at non precision approaches like VOR/DME, and NDB/DME. Recovery from unusual attitudes can be fun too. It will sharpen up your general VFR flying skills too.

Enjoy!

Tailwinds :rolleyes: