PDA

View Full Version : DFM Information

Gairney
28th Sep 2012, 12:59
I'm trying help a neighbour to unearth a DFM citation for her husband and I've searched the London Gazette unsuccessfully.
The gentleman's name is Vivian Watson Moyes Chambers, he was an LAC in the RAF 1940-1945, service number 1571386.
Year of award unknown, possibly around 1942.
Viv flew Lancasters during WW2 and was subsequently transferred to Fleet Air Arm in the Pacific following the end of the war in Europe.
I'd be grateful for any help unearthing information on this.
Many thanks
Dougie

Icare9
29th Sep 2012, 21:24
I know it was two years ago but AnneC asked the selfsame question at WW2Talk and someone who had over 2,000 DFM citations couldn't find a record and asked for further details which never answered.
There were over 6,000 DFM's awarded in WW2 so the fact he hadn't got the citation DOESN'T mean he thinks it's an incorrect claim, but the more info the better...

I've had a check on Ancestry and can't even find a Birth record for him, yet we know he'd be 89 now according to his wife...

She said he was a LAC, but you say he flew Lancasters, then was in the Pacific, so there's a bit of sifting to do. No doubt those who can help will be along shortly!

The only CWGC casualty with anything close to his Service Number is:
Name: BARNETT, THOMAS SCOTT. Rank: Sergeant. Trade: Air Gnr.
Service No: 1571360. Date of Death: 21/07/1944.
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. 578 Sqdn.
Grave Reference: Sec. L. Grave 25. Cemetery: TOLLCROSS (CENTRAL) CHURCHYARD
and that is only evidence that he was in the UK a year before the end of the War, not when he enlisted. There doesn't seem to be any Flight Global entries either..

GrassRootsFlying
30th Sep 2012, 06:49
I have a copy of 'Honour the Air Forces' which lists 40,000 names for awards to UK & Commonwealth aircrew in WW2 and he is not listed there. I cannot find him in the London Gazette either.

If you really want to uncover the whole story, your best bet is to apply for a copy of his service record under the Freedom of Information Act.
Forms can be downloaded here
RAF Community - Request for Information from Service Records (http://www.raf.mod.uk/community/support/requestforinformationfromservicerecords.cfm)

Regards