PDA

View Full Version : i-tunes query

Groundbased
27th Sep 2012, 19:04
After many years of using WMP for music management I have switched to i-tunes.

I have about 14000 tracks on an external HDD which I want to convert to work with i-tunes. So I have installed i-tunes, created a new itl library file within the music folder on the external drive and hit "add to library". This merrily chugs away converting the files, and I can see the list of tracks growing in the i-tunes UI.

But here's the thing. Twice now this job has been interrupted, once by someone disconnecting the external drive because they didn't realise what was underway and secondly by a powercut.

When I've reconnected the drive, and I've taken care to do this before launching i-tunes, it doesn't resume the job. When I add the folder again it merrily creates duplicates for all the tracks previously converted. I can identify duplicates using the functionality in i-tunes but when I delete them it deletes both duplicates. Hence I canned the original library and started again. I now appear to be having to do the same thing again.

Is there a way to get i-tunes to resume the job without creating duplicates? It is slightly irritating to think that the only way to do it is let the system create a load of duplicates and then get some third party tool to clean it up. The rest of the software is good, so surely it must be able to do this in some way.

Cheers.

Milo Minderbinder
27th Sep 2012, 22:07
let the system create the duplicates
then use windows explorer to view them (not iTunes)
Order the files and folders by date
then delete the older ones using windows explorer
You should have what you want left behind in iTunes