PDA

View Full Version : Best ratings to have in NZ

bonzaii
27th Sep 2012, 09:35
hi guys

im considering forking out to get rated in another aircraft type (for New Zealand), currently i only have training aircraft. my first thought was a C 206 i want something that will give me experience and possibly be useful in the future. any help/recommendations would be great

cheers

TractorP1lot
28th Sep 2012, 04:03
G'day Bonzaii,

Go talk to your local 135 outfit and see what they are looking for in their pilots:ok:. If you have <500TT have you considered how your are going to get to the 750 mark for 135 Multi IFR PIC? If you are in that boat maybe consider doing a parachute drop rating and getting a PAC750 rating or what ever your prospective future employer flies. If you have >500TT then maybe an Aztec or Seneca rating ect (depending on what you have in your area) and maybe focus on your IFR time.

Personally I went through as an instructor (I really enjoyed it, did not do it as an hour building exercise:ouch:) and then moved onto a local operator before getting into an airline:}.

Many different paths to take mate, most important thing is to enjoy it on the way through because it will be gone before you know it:(.

Best of luck

Tractor

pistinaround
28th Sep 2012, 23:05
Mosquito !

bonzaii
29th Sep 2012, 09:03
as much as i would like a mosquito rating lol im not sure how useful :D
and TractorP1lot (http://www.pprune.org/members/285085-tractorp1lot) im aiming for instructor as well, that is pretrty much my plan at the moment. i was thinking about Seneca as well any idea how much that sort of thing would cost, ill have MEIR(TEA) and CPL i was researching the 206 and people seemed to recon anything between 1000 and 3000 dollars for a rating. im not gonna bother about the commercial ops hour requirement as i think the rating is probably more inmportant

knox
30th Sep 2012, 11:28
i was researching the 206 and people seemed to recon anything between 1000 and 3000 dollars for a rating. inmportant

That seems very expensive for a 206 rating. I wouldn't think it should cost anymore than $1000. I'd hate to think what they'd charge for a Seneca rating then.

slackie
30th Sep 2012, 19:24
Do some REAL flying... PA18, Citabria/Decathlon, then Pitts, Giles 202, Xtra 300, etc. Don't get stuck with thousands of hour straight and level := , because then you only have an hour repeated thousands of times!!:O:O

bonzaii
30th Sep 2012, 23:39
good point, im hoping to do an instructor course and get my aero rating so thats something i guess. pitts and the like wouldnt be cheap though... :(

lilflyboy262...2
2nd Oct 2012, 13:08
Knox, When I was shopping around for a C206, it was around $500 an hour or something stupid.
There is not many of them in New Zealand available for training.

Glad I didn't, my next job had C206's and they paid for the training.

ZKSUJ
3rd Oct 2012, 05:28
I'm not sure how useful your TEA rating will be. In most 135 gigs (If and when you go there) and most training organisations you will need a conventional Instrument rating as well, so a bit more $$$ you'll need to spend there

knox
3rd Oct 2012, 10:46
Knox, When I was shopping around for a C206, it was around $500 an hour or something stupid.
There is not many of them in New Zealand available for training.

Glad I didn't, my next job had C206's and they paid for the training.

$500 p/h sounds about right possibly a touch on the high side. But how many hours do you need to get typed?? I'd say an hour should be enough, maybe 1.5 max. 3k sounds steep though.
I too was lucky enough to get a job related type rating.

bonzaii
4th Oct 2012, 02:40
im keen for the hours and experience as well, and hopefully something like this will put me infront of the next guy :D

ZKSUJ (http://www.pprune.org/members/183310-zksuj), i think i can get that in the simulator if im not mistaken, thats the last bit i have to do

and KNOX i think around 2 hours, one to get used to it and one to actually get the rating. unless i got an awesome sim beforehand

knox
4th Oct 2012, 05:50
Any idea who you are going to go through? 206 is a nice aircraft. I had a great time flying it.

Knox.

bonzaii
5th Oct 2012, 05:28
im not sure yet i believe there is one in nelson which is hireable , or ill go down to mainland air unless a better option surfaces

seneca208
5th Oct 2012, 07:07
Mainland air don't have a 206 but have access to one from the Wanaka/Otago area. The sounds air 206 rating is a little pricey, but worth looking at. Good strip training and you can even combine it with some of the avskills course if you like.

flyhardmo
5th Oct 2012, 15:22
The ones you don't have to pay for.

bonzaii
5th Oct 2012, 19:43
ideally it would be free :P well im in palmy so nelson is probably a better bet even if it is more expensive, ill have to pay less to get there