PDA

View Full Version : Faulty jetty

Lanc53
25th Sep 2012, 21:49
On a recent flight into Gatwick the first few passengers got off the aircraft but the rest of us were stopped because of a problem with the jetty connecting the aircraft to the terminal building. (Alarms going off somewhere) Several people were slightly inconvenienced and some even annoyed as they had already decided they wanted to leave the plane for an urgent appointment with their first heart attack.:rolleyes:
I wasn’t in a hurry so I waited and after a few minutes the problem was solved.

Does this happen often?
Who is in charge pilots or ground crew?
Do they still have old fashioned steps at Gatwick, if not I had a vision of being towed to a different jetty, involving all the bags going back in the over head lockers and passengers being strapped in again while the aircraft was moved?

Problem with this last option was that, I suspect some one was already unloading the bags from the hold, so they would have had to stop work as well.
Is there a set procedure for these problems?

PAXboy
26th Sep 2012, 02:58
Not a regular occurance, in my experience, or even frequent!
Once disembarkation has begun, ground and cabin crew.
Steps ALWAYS available, not at a moment's notice but if the jetty was then U/s. Steps could have been put against the rear door.

Depending on many factors, the departure could be loaded in the same way, or the a/c towed to another jetty first. All in a day's work at an airport!

750XL
26th Sep 2012, 10:46
Sounds like an autolevel failure, it's a fairly common problem but usually just requires a reset and then you're good to go.

When the airbridge is attached to the aircraft an 'autolevel' arm extends from the airbridge, usually with a rubber wheel on the end, which tracks the aircraft's vertical movement as passengers, baggage and fuel are loaded/unloaded and adjusts the airbridge height as required. If the autolevel fails and the aircraft is loaded, there is a possibility that the aircraft door will get ripped off as the airbridge won't move with the aircraft.

Lanc53
26th Sep 2012, 21:10
Thanks Guys, as a passanger I wasn't too concerned but it had never happend before.
I assume "Air bridge" is the correct term although it makes me think of "a bridge in the air" that doesnt sound if its connected to anything. :eek:
Still its better than going down the stairs and walking across the tarmac.

I supose the last thing any one wants is a plane full of passengers stuck on the ground going nowhere.

PAXboy
26th Sep 2012, 21:40
Lanc53Still its better than going down the stairs and walking across the tarmac.Eeerrrr - no it's not!! If you walk across the tarmac you can:

Look at all the other a/c
Lookat the runway for movement there
Check out the ground facilities
Enjoy the air
Enjoy the smell of aviation fuel

:8 (that smiley is listed as 'nerd') which of course, I am not.

LondonPax
27th Sep 2012, 12:35
Not better than walking across the tarmac but a whole lot better than getting put in a crappy bus and driven around Heathrow for a while, as happens all too often on BA.

OFSO
27th Sep 2012, 13:00
If you walk across the tarmac you can:

Also look ahead to the big silver bird with a large gold harp on the tail......

Pax Vobiscum
29th Sep 2012, 14:31
You forgot:

Get wet

PAXboy. Always happens to me :{

Lanc53
30th Sep 2012, 17:51
PAXboy,
I would love to stand around watching the aircraft, however the times I have walked across the tarmac there has always been someone to hurry me along or a need to keep an eye on my traveling companion who has a habit of wandering off.
Yes in theory its a great chance to look around but in practice it never works for me.
I must agree that the worst way to the plane is on uncomfortable , badly driven and overcrowded buses. When the aircraft lands (at Gatwick) it feels as though you go 3 times around the airport on the aircraft to get to a gate, followed by walk down the endless corridors. I love to fly but hate all the bits at the airport on the ground.
Lanc 53