PDA

View Full Version : Door handles: Why do they have to be so complicated?!

AerBabe
9th Apr 2002, 11:35
This has been bugging me for a while. Why put a door handle on the 'push' side? :confused: Is the only point to provide entertainment for passers-by who watch with poor, unsuspecting individuals as they wrestle with the seemingly stiff hinges? Or does it hark back to the early days of building, when all doors had a catch? :rolleyes:

If we melted down all the pointless door handles in the world, think of all the starving Africans we'd be able to feed. Or something.

Konkordski
9th Apr 2002, 11:56
Can't imagine Africans, even the starving ones, being tempted by a melted door handle. Iron in your diet is all very well but there's a limit.

RowleyUK
9th Apr 2002, 11:58
Covered in germs door handles are.....Honest! Bad things!:rolleyes:

AerBabe
9th Apr 2002, 12:00
Do you think it could be a cunning ploy by the government to get us all to take more exercise?

Bird Strike
9th Apr 2002, 12:03
I think it's a conspiracy by the clothes manufacturers - you catch your sleeve on the door handle and rip it, and you buy more clothes :D

ATCbabe
9th Apr 2002, 12:48
I reckon its for the security guards amusement.

They can sit watching with their cameras whilst people pull the handles!!! Probably gives them hours of fun :D :D

FlyingForFun
9th Apr 2002, 13:02
I'm pretty sure it's not just for the entertainment value. After all, passer by can get plenty of entertainment from people who insist on pushing the "pull" side of the door without needing a superfluous handle.

FFF
------------

briteandbreezy
9th Apr 2002, 13:10
Ohhhhhhhh aerbabe..... I was gonna give ya a logical explanation as to why we might have to have door handles.....

..but.... would spoil the fun!!!! haha :eek: :p

I definitely understand ya point tho...... and no doubt they were invented by...... MEN!!!!!!! ;)

Feeton Terrafirma
9th Apr 2002, 13:14
I thought it was so you could close the door, but now I'm all confused :confused:

Grainger
9th Apr 2002, 13:19
And then there's the Double Door Effect:

You know, everyone tries to cram through on one side even though there's another perfectly serviceable door right next to it.

:rolleyes:

Who has control?
9th Apr 2002, 13:36
And then there is Door Etiquiette....

Two people approach a door from opposite sides simultaneously. Who opens it? The person with the handle their side? Do they pull it open & go through or hold it for the other person?

Too difficult for me to fathom. Lots of doors here at work and I really dislike people who don't thank me after I open 3 or 4 doors and they follow me through.

The Nut Behind The Wheel
9th Apr 2002, 13:52
Yes, door handles WERE invented by Men!

Along with the signs on the door labelled "PUSH" and "PULL", "ENTRY" and "EXIT".

Its all a conspiracy designed to completely b..ger the mind of the female of the species, and damn, it appears to be working (maniacal laugh heard....):p

AerBabe
9th Apr 2002, 13:55
And what about the automatic doors that open towards you, meaning you risk a nose injury if you're not paying enough attention? And the automatic doors that don't work. And the automatic doors carefully timed to make you think they're not going to work... until you touch them... when they open, again making you look like a fool.

Where is this all going? :confused:
Is this a conspiracy? :eek:

Grainger
9th Apr 2002, 15:23
The worst ones are the sneaky ordinary doors that aren't automatic at all ...

... except that you think they are, and thus confidently stride towards them expecting them to open and make a complete pratt of yourself when you collide into the still-closed-not-automatic-at-all doors. :rolleyes:

chapman1
9th Apr 2002, 16:27
The most dangerous doors are those that are spring loaded to close behind you. Every once in a while an engineer fit's one with the spring from a HGV's suspension, so not only must you become built like Conan the Destroyer just to open it, but a lack of concentration and rearward spacial awareness will send the person behind you 300 ft across the floor.