PDA

View Full Version : Auto address completion ?

ExSp33db1rd
24th Sep 2012, 21:36
My Outlook Express with Windows XP automatically completed the e-mail address from anything in my Windows Address Book when I started typing a new address in the To or CC columns - actually, it gave me some options and I could pick the one I wanted.

The "new" Windows Mail in Vista doesn't. and yes, I have ticked the option to complete addresses when typing, from the Tools and Options offerings.

Something ain't right.

Milo Minderbinder
24th Sep 2012, 23:43
we went round this a few months ago
The "autocomplete" in the newer Microsoft e-mail programs doesn't come from the address book - instead a buffer of the last few addresses mailed is held (I think its the last 25 from memory). If the address you're typing doesn't match one of those, then autocomplete doesn't kick in.

In Windows Mail / Live Mail the whole way in which addresses are held is completely different from OE, and to put it bluntly, M$ seemed to have botched it

onetrack
25th Sep 2012, 01:15
ExSp33db1rd - The Solution - Ditch Windows Mail and use Mozilla Thunderbird. You won't find any MS mail program in Windows 7, anyway, so sooner or later you're going to have to get used to the idea that MS no longer support any email program.
I've been using Thunderbird for maybe a couple of years, since I went over to Windows 7, and it's so far in front of any MS mail program offering, it ain't funny.

ExSp33db1rd
25th Sep 2012, 04:57
we went round this a few months ago.

Apologies, didn't see that. It only seems to store todays' e-mail addresses that I have used.

Thanks for the advice, onetrack, I'll work on it, there is little I like about Windows Mail, or even the Windows Live Mail that I have on a W-7 machine, I was perfectly happy with O.E. despite some of its' faults.

Why do they have to CHANGE everything !! ( yes, yes, I know ! )

( I blame Bill Gates )

Ancient Observer
25th Sep 2012, 13:22
They change things so that your ex-colleagues no longer need to fly Stratocruisers, and can fly to Asia without stopping in the ME and India on the way.

Luckily, Mr Gates' lot do not design planes.....

Milo Minderbinder
25th Sep 2012, 16:45
If Microsoft built planes they'd be easy to fix
Just open and close all the windows
And it that doesn't work, then crash it and reboot

ExSp33db1rd
25th Sep 2012, 20:53
They change things so that your ex-colleagues no longer need to fly Stratocruisers

That's their loss !!