PDA

View Full Version : heli pilots maths

mistoo
9th Apr 2002, 10:41
Ther are quite a few posts on other boards about mental maths for FW pilots, just wondering how helo pilots get on with maths?
Perhaps you guys could post some rule of thumb stuff that you use for nav/fuel/eta calcs.
Personally I'm s**t at maths which is a bit worrying, as I'm hoping to start training a little later on this year.
Any helpfull advice gratefully accepted.

Vfrpilotpb
9th Apr 2002, 19:23
Hi Mistoo,

If you are starting with the great eggbeaters of the sky, one simple word of advice, Motion Lotion, when you have none, your calculations have been wrong, if you can get that in your head, it will be amazing how quickly your maths will improve. Know your burn per hour, know your flight time, get the wx, and bingo, as long as you always dip your tank at the start, and as a ref check at the end, you will soon work it all out. Have fun, fly safe, LAND SAFER!:cool:

HOGE
9th Apr 2002, 19:41
don't know if you've seen this webpage, but it might have a few useful ideas.

www.flightinfo.com/rulesofthumb.asp

CyclicRick
9th Apr 2002, 20:32
Don't worry, I'm c**p at maths too.
AS350 is easy 10% = 20mins
Bell 206B = 25 USgals/Hr
Bell 205 100Lbs = 10Mins
120KTS= 2 miles a minute

Bingo, it works for me and I can't add up to save my life!

Fuel is, as said the most important thing without it you 'ain't goin' no-where!
PS. Try going to the eastern bloc countries where they give you height in meters and wind speed in meters per second, absolutley mind boggling

Aesir
1st May 2002, 22:54
Luckily I fly a B-222U which uses 600 Lbs pr/hr on short legs including ground runs. So thats 10 Lbs a minute. Well actually the A/C uses less than 600 Lbs/hr but I use 600 and then I´m on the safe side, I can be pretty sure I will not use more.

And to make it even easier the B-222 has a fuel totalizer in pounds which shows 10% of the fuel on board, so if the totalizer shows 55 = 550 Lbs its really telling me that I have 55 minutes of fuel left.

I really love it, I can use my time to think about other things and not worry about fuel all the time.