PDA

View Full Version : medical question...

nim2000
9th Apr 2002, 08:57
anyone aware of the RAF's attitude towards depression as an
illness? Is it a med downgrade until you're condition has
improved or discharge on account of being a tadge unstable.

just curious by the way - i'm not sat here making a noose!

Ralf Wiggum
9th Apr 2002, 21:32
Not an expert on people who go 'Hatstand', but the Services have very good welfare for those who suffer from mental disorders. I haven't heard of anyone being discharged for acting like Krusty the Klown, but I'm sure if the case was that serious, the Services would have little option.

That said, the welfare of an individual does not always end on discharge. The Services do look after folk when they leave and the good old RBL and the likes lend a hand too.

From my limited experience on the Mental Illness matters, the Services provide a fine service. Those who cannot be treated are often given a commision as a Provost Officer.:D

Talking Radalt
9th Apr 2002, 21:48
I always thought the RAF's attitude towards depression was that it was freely available to all, even those who didn't want it, and judging by some of the policy decisions lately it seems to be positively encouraged!

On a more serious note (?) is someone who is "depressed" for whatever reason, maybe even a Service-induced one, any less suitable in terms of mental stability for military service than someone who announces they wish to be known as Loretta? (if you get my drift)
The NHS and associated mental health charities go to great lengths to try and explain that mental health/illness is like any other form of ailment. It can be cured and should not be mistaken for mental handicap. If someone were discharged for wearing underpants on their head and shoving a pencil up each nostril, I feel pretty sure a court case for unfair dismissal would soon follow. People get ground tours due to knackered knees so why not because of this?
And before you all say "Yeah Radalt, do get a grip, no teapot is flying with me"....consider this:
Ever woken up and thought "Jeez, I just cannot be arsed today..."?
That my friends is the one of the first symptoms of mild depression. ;)

TAC2
10th Apr 2002, 18:37
A mate of mine, honest, had a bit of a problem and he was medically downgraded, and it follows grounded, until he was sorted out. The medical treatment he received was good and he was helped rather than hindered by Sqn and station. Hope this helps

Mr C Hinecap
10th Apr 2002, 21:07
Old friend of mine was a psychiatric nurse based at the secret Oxfordshire Airbase. Blinkin' top guy who did some excellent work with guys & girls who had a little trouble up top. The RAF does understand that some illnesses have no visible symptoms and can do things to help. There will be horror stories of course, but this chap was a conscientious and hard working and got results.

RedOnCut
10th Apr 2002, 22:33
Not on main thread but in ball park "Medical Question",
Ref DEAF GITTS.
Has anyone info on "Impaired Hearing due to flying in 4 eng Noisey Things for 30 odd years".
Mid 1980's got sent CME (Middsx Hosp before DMA got sh***ed out of existence), as result of lousey score on PME luggole test!
Very nice, extremely highly paid, and ranked, chap in white coat said, "yep you are high tone deaf so don't buy any expensive Hi Fi, but on the bright side, I expect you will get a disability allowance when you retire!!!" Take an A2.
Shortly about to retire, question is , as luggoles are even more degraded than 20 odd years ago, is it worth pursuing Industrial Injury Compensation? or shall I withdraw into a very quiet world and exclaim "B*****EM ALL"

Lou Scannon
11th Apr 2002, 10:24
er...pardon?

FJJP
11th Apr 2002, 14:04
RedOnCut.

Drop me an e-mail...

FJJP