View Full Version : Hours building USA

mikeor
4th Jun 2001, 17:46
Lots of good stuff on this. I have been talking to a guy called Jim Powell from Wickham in Hants. He works for Rainbow Air Academy and offers US52 block rate an hour for C152 flying out of Long Beach California. I currently have about 2500 military rotary experience and about 150 fixed wing (SE). I want to leave the RN with an ATPLA under the JAA/JAR regs and need to build hours mainly cross country night and IF- probably around 100 total and like also to get a twin rating. Jim says he can do this with Seneca aand about 7 hours for about US 2200 (with a company called UK flight training). HAs anyone heard of Rainbow and can they recommend it. Or any other good recommends in USA, AUS or even SA.

bumpffslam
6th Jun 2001, 00:45
I flew for a week with Chandler Air Services at Chandler Field in Phoenix AZ. See www.aerobatics.com. (http://www.aerobatics.com.) Probably not the cheapest but seem a good outfit and Pheonix is reliable weather (very hot in Summer). Good instructors. Most training in PA28. Also have 3x Great Lakes and 3 x Pitts for aerobatics.

Direct flights by BA from Gatwick. Cost me just £235 in Feb (and I slept across 4 seats out and back).

Interesting flying options, inc Las Vegas.

Flare_you_fool!
6th Jun 2001, 02:13
Mikeor,
Rainbow have been around a long time,
Check out www.rainbowair.com (http://www.rainbowair.com)
I use to instruct there Dec 98 to aug 99 before moving on. UK flight training is another school with close ties to rainbow, the owner of UKFT is i believe a UK examiner. All that you have written appears to be correct in respect to what they can offer, although i don't know the prices anymore.
Regards
FYF

Gert Lush
7th Jun 2001, 13:09
Rainbow air are fantastic!! Was out there in Dec98 to hour build on there 172's, very nice people. You cannot go wrong with them.

mikeor
7th Jun 2001, 14:19
Thanks very much for all the replies. I feel more confident that my money is not going vanish into a black hole!! I just need to convert my Malaysian PPL(A) into something I can use there. Anyone any ideas?? I am living in Malaysia and not UK so cannot convert into JAR here.