PDA

View Full Version : Helitech to move away from Duxford???

ppheli
21st Sep 2012, 08:43
Can there be any truth in this story? Seems a bit far-fetched to me..

Helitech considers move from Duxford to non-airfield location (http://www.helihub.com/2012/09/21/helitech-considers-move-from-duxford-to-non-airfield-location/)

sss
21st Sep 2012, 09:33
I suspect this is a bargaining tool to bring down the price at Duxford.

chopper2004
21st Sep 2012, 15:08
They tried to propose this back in 03

PANews
21st Sep 2012, 21:51
There is a lot of old school pressure to go to ExCeL..... on the basis that it will focus the attention on sales.

As we all know the place has its magic.

There comes a time where the IWM might see the Helitech team as its prisoner..... up goes the price .......its a case of who flinches first!

chopper2004
21st Sep 2012, 22:19
or are they thinking along the lines of Heli Expo with indoor displays?

Looking at the article, the last sentence mentions how two exhibitions in Europe were canned, is that supposed to mean that Helitech which has been running over 2 decades albeit in odd years, will be under threat?

G-UNYT
22nd Sep 2012, 00:40
Back in the day I attended Helitech at Redhill. Not sure why it moved from there, but Duxford appears to be a better facility so would be a shame if it moved again.

claudia
22nd Sep 2012, 07:29
I think it left Redhill because there was not enough hard standing area, remember the last two times the show was there it rained heavily and the place was a mess. Hope it stays at Duxford, nice to fly in there and the atmosphere is special, I for one won t be attending if it moves to London.

PANews
22nd Sep 2012, 09:44
The mention of the cancelled shows is only part of it.... the events organisers have changed ownership and the characters actually doing the job have changed almosts annually. Lots of blood letting in this market. You may recall the Helicopter Show that did not happen at Silverstone... the characters involved in that were once part of Helitech and it was the new/current Helitech that was at the centre of getting the Silverstone event crippled......

Watch your back seems to be the pattern here!

If they did decide to go to ExCeL there may be plenty waiting in the wings to spread the acid and repay past 'favours'.....:E

chopper2004
22nd Sep 2012, 15:03
PAN,

Hmmm you're suggesting it could be all out war in the boardroom perhaps?? :) :E:mad:

Though whats the real real reason behind the Excel proposal? If its old skool then surely for over 2 decades they appreciated the outdoor scene!!

Unless Reed are secretly own a percentage of the Excel Centre ....:}

Ian Corrigible
22nd Sep 2012, 15:08
chopper2004 is correct - think 'Heli-Expo' meets 'National Lampoon's European Vacation.'

I/C

chopper2004
3rd Oct 2012, 12:30
About Helitech - Helitech (http://www.helitechevents.com/en/home/About-Helithech/)

flyingsniffer
3rd Oct 2012, 12:30
I've just had an email confirming the move to ExCel.

Home - Helitech (http://www.helitechevents.com/)

I'm pretty sure I will have another one in a few months confirming its cancellation.

A shame, it used to be a reasonable day out.

ShyTorque
3rd Oct 2012, 19:13
A helicopter show without helicopters flying in and out to a helipad on the day doesn't really inspire me to visit. I won't be going.

Hughes500
3rd Oct 2012, 19:38
shy

yup wont be going for same reason, unless London City will accept helicopters on the days

tigerfish
3rd Oct 2012, 19:44
Well I for one have not missed a Helitech since the early days at Redhill.

Duxford was something special, and I for one will not be visiting the exhibition at the new Venue!

Hopefully someone will come along and hold a replacement for Helitech at a suitable venue.

An airfield not too far from Cambridge would be ideal, especially if there are other interesting historic attractions for the family nearby, museums perhaps!

tigerfish:(

Rigga
3rd Oct 2012, 22:05
"A helicopter show without helicopters flying in and out to a helipad on the day doesn't really inspire me to visit. I won't be going."

Wot 'e said.

paco
4th Oct 2012, 04:50
Yup. Big mistake.

Phil

PANews
4th Oct 2012, 08:34
There is of course another aspect to this in that in another press release on this subject it is stated that in future Helitech is to be an annual 'wandering willie' helicopter show and will appear in Berlin in 2014 [and perhaps never return to the UK on a regular basis?].

Annual helicopter show. There is one of those each year in the USA.

This stance from Helitech is of course exactly the opposite to the message they were putting out when destroying the Silverstone show.

OK so its an industry ploy to kick away the potential competitor from your path by fair means or foul. [looks like foul won this time] but remember that they then said that 'industry does not want and annual show'.......

Reed has a good Pedigree in Helitech based on it being a UK show, the earlier foray to Helitech Portugal [the bottom left hand corner of Europe] failed by location so where it goes needs to be carefully judged. Duxford worked.

There is another annual Helicopter Show already.... for a decade it has been quietly sitting in the Czech Republic [Hradec Kralove 18-19 May 2012 and 9-11 May 2013] ....... this looks as if REED could be out to destroy that and any other competitors as well.

Then there would be no choice.:{

paco
4th Oct 2012, 09:44
Even if it's the only one we won't be exhibiting in London. As you say, Duxford worked and foreign shows are way disruptive. Three days at a show without a distraction like the war museum is just too much. I usually see all the people I want to see in the first morning anyway.

Not only that, I wasn't terribly happy with their customer service at the last one.

phil

longbox
4th Oct 2012, 09:48
Agree completely, a helicopter event next to City Airport, no chance to fly in, not a good move, the whole experience was watered down on the move to Duxford, however at least it retained the helicopter movements, this will deter alot of exhibitors and visitors from going. Also we have been here before with the London Air Show, not a great success either.

We need a new event to cater for the industry!

Brilliant Stuff
4th Oct 2012, 11:05
I also agree a Helicopter Show you can't fly in and is not even easily travelled to, is a complete waste.
Coupled with the fact that if you wanted to find out about the products on offer and couldn't....

Is NPAS running this as well :E:E:E

chopper2004
4th Oct 2012, 11:16
Hmmmm with the 'International' emphasised on the tittle, the location in Excel (Reed's not exactly excelling in this case :}:}:mad:) I'm wondering if its for the benefit of those flying into any of the London Airports all bar the Kiddies one.

Does anyone know / heard of anyone flying in from abroad moaning about the hassle to come up to my old neck of the woods in Cambridge from LHR, LGW LCY in recent years and somehow the organisers might have heard a moan or two, then felt compelled that it to be London or bust to make it more convenient for anywhere outside UK?

Agreed with PAN, Heli Expos been runnning damn near 6 deacdes every year, so why rival it. Plus every other year, pre term time, theres either Paris or Farnborough organise half if not a year earlier not to mention the Berlin Airshow :) :)

I'm also hoping this will continue to be a free event as my gut instinct is telling me,
that with the cost of hiring exhibition halls, it may not be a free lunch for long.

Cheers

Palma
7th Oct 2012, 15:23
I very much doubt that ANY helicopters will be allowed to land at LCY during Helitech 2013. There is a Section 52 Agreement which specifically prohibits helicopter movements at LCY.

heli1
8th Oct 2012, 09:28
Interesting feedback !I have been attending HeliTech since the very first one in Aberdeen...indoors with a conference timetable and no helipad equalled disaster.
The move to Redhill and fly in arrangements worked well,amd that continued at Duxford where exhibitors and visitors by my conversations appreciated the difference and more relaxed setting compared with HeliExpo.
The latter works because it is the American way to have big Conventions .Not so sure in UK and Europe with different languages,customs and approach to shows.Portugal failed..so did Geneva and the Helicentre at ILA Berlin this year and previously was poorly attended too.
Furthermore the hassle for many to travel to east London ,not to mention hotel costs for the smaller exhibitors is bound to impact on numbers.
Will be interesting to watch the progress over the coming months.

Savoia
8th Oct 2012, 14:15
I rather suspect that Reed's have shot themselves in the foot and would not be at all surprised to see an alternative to Helitech 2013 in the offing.

SueB
12th Oct 2012, 16:00
As someone who worked on Helitech for 9 years this is very sad news!:(

bobmunton
13th Oct 2012, 13:57
All is not lost; we will relaunch The Helicopter Show at Silverstone for 2014. It’s 30% less expensive than Helitech, no landing fees, central UK location, in a purpose-built exhibition and conference centre overlooking the static park, and promises a really good day out. Our organising team was involved in – iand for several years owned – Helitech from its launch in 1986 in the days of Captain Eric Brown & Jan Willem Sturman up until 2005 so we have a bit of an understanding of our role as organisers

paco
13th Oct 2012, 14:10
Count me in.....

Phil

md 600 driver
13th Oct 2012, 14:31
Count me in shame it's not next year

Can't we also have a poll set up to monitor either to support a helitech move or not, then see what reed think about it

Brilliant Stuff
13th Oct 2012, 18:00
Silverstone, yes please.

9Aplus
13th Oct 2012, 20:04
How about one show on Adriatic seaside in May 2013. :cool:

Savoia
13th Oct 2012, 20:31
Couldn't agree more 9A+ :ok:

And suggest San Nicolò airport (aka Venice-Lido "Giovanni Nicelli (http://www.aeroportonicelli.it/)"). ;)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8X1HrCWv-SQ/UHnRxESD49I/AAAAAAAAJ34/ZnZSSbDLPqY/s512/Elidolomiti%27s+A109K2+I-AGKL+San+Nicol%C3%B2+%28Giovanni+Nicelli%29+20th+July+2008+% 28Julian+Lekner%29.jpg
Elidolomiti's A109K2 I-AGKL ay San Nicolò (Giovanni Nicelli) on 20th July 2008 (Photo: Julian Lekner)

9Aplus
13th Oct 2012, 20:42
Agree, nice one, but me considering bit bigger one....
check PM pls

Savoia
23rd Oct 2012, 14:24
Helitech 2013 organisers confirm no day visitors by air

23 October 2012

In an interview with HeliHub.com, the exhibition Director of Helitech International 2013 confirmed to us that there is no space at the ExCeL conference centre in London for daily visitors to the event in September 2013. John Hyde confirmed that three or four sites are under consideration, and they would soon decide on one and set up a shuttle bus service between that location and the Helitech event. The furthest of these venues is Biggin Hill Airport which is 15 miles away.

More (http://helihub.com/2012/10/23/helitech-2013-organisers-confirm-no-day-visitors-by-air/)

vfr440
23rd Oct 2012, 14:59
I don't know about anyone else but this whole thing appears not to have been thought through. At all, it seems to me. What's the 'no space for daily visitors to the event' mean? So we cannot come out of the City to the event (assuming we are there in teh first place), but are required to congregate at unspecified 'consolidation points' for transportation to Excel. On a personal yardstick I shall be thinking very hard about whether I attend - East Anglia to Duxford is a relatively easy run by car, not expensive, no hassle and an enjoyable day or two; with the prospect of witnessing flying 'machinery' of all kinds. London, by contrast, does not tick any of those boxes - VFR

chasbang
23rd Oct 2012, 16:27
EHA behind this?

Anthony Supplebottom
23rd Oct 2012, 16:39
EHA behind this?

Probably.

In an interview with HeliHub.com, the exhibition Director of Helitech International 2013 confirmed to us that there is no space at the ExCeL conference centre in London for daily visitors to the event in September 2013.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif

rotorrookie
24th Oct 2012, 17:37
C’mon and stop the wining, this could actually turn helitech into proper “heli-expo like” expedition in up to date facilities not just some sheds build out in a field the week before.
There must be plenty of other “fly-in” events for you guys to show off
You can’t fly your private bird to Heli-Expo and there’s been no problems with that.
It must be that Helitech is answering demands from the big exhibitors, the ones who pay the most.

PANews
25th Oct 2012, 00:59
The great unknown in this debate is whether it is those on Rotorheads that are right or Reed.

With the best will in the world I doubt very much that the majority of the buying attendees of the Helitech we know [as opposed to the one in the future] are going to be in this forum giving a view. The important figures in the industry - the executives who sign off on the Billion pound deals - are probably largely missing and the call is whether the debate here has enough representation of the people that matter to what Helitech now is about.

So we, the pilots, enthusiasts and coal face workers [that I assume are the main attendees of Rotorheads] voting against the Reed decision mean nothing sensible. We all know that the main footfall of both Helitech and Heli-Expo relates to those that might be labelled 'spotters' to a greater or lesser degree.

The other call is whether those flying in aboard a mix of machines fall into the category of those that buy one second hand machine every 5 years or ten brand new super-copters every year.

Now if behind all those secretive handles here on Rotorheads there is a 'Mr Bond' [or even two] there may well be a need for a declaration of their identities! :cool:

Hughes500
25th Oct 2012, 08:20
PA

Not sure that is true, I dont think Mr Bond waits for Helitech or HeliExpo to go and have a look then decide to buy ! The show is more around the small to medium operator with small companies show casing their wares. I think the big boys are only there as the other big boys are there, but only showing their smaller wares. After all what company is going to turn away Mr X who likes the look of a new 350 and has cash to spend and has just flown in in his R44 !!

md 600 driver
25th Oct 2012, 09:39
whilst at trip to HAI in the states i met a guy who was at the time "mr bond" he was there looking to purchase a 900 for a contract.

Personally i bought a new 480 and 600 from expo shows i find them a better place to look at all other models and types ,you can usually get some good [or bad] feedback from other owners ,and its relaxed not lke putting your head in the lions den by visiting the dealer and playing whats like a top trumps game with specifications

i do however like visting fly in type shows especially Helitech for other reasons than rotor rookie mentioned

Ease it getting there less than a hour by heli 3 to 4 hours by road
i like to see other aircraft arriving and departing it adds to the flavour of the show
Chance to meet up with other owners and get their take on helimatters
its a lot easyier to say hi i am fred i flew in with xyz over there did you have problems with the so and so ad about blades, how did you get on the other person knows you are likely a fellow owner not some water mitty
and will open up more also you make new friends

Ian Corrigible
25th Oct 2012, 10:13
Now if behind all those secretive handles here on Rotorheads there is a 'Mr Bond' [or even two] there may well be a need for a declaration of their identities! :cool:
"Don't tell him your name, Pike!" :E

I/C

Anthony Supplebottom
25th Oct 2012, 10:49
Cannot see how a show at which exhibitors are unable to fly potential customers (either on demonstration flights or on flights bringing guests into the event) can exceed one which does not have this capability.

Seem to recall they had an aviation show at Earl's Court once - maybe the new improved Helitech will be something like that?

PANews
25th Oct 2012, 12:11
Ahb yes the nostalgia wells up ..... the Earles Court Aviation Show... half a dozen Piper's, a dunker tANK and 40 PC pilot set ups!

The public voted with their feet.

paco
25th Oct 2012, 15:35
Although an enthusiast I'm also an exhibitor and London doesn't cut it.

Phil

Dennis Kenyon
26th Oct 2012, 21:11
Yup ... I'd rather see helicopters flying and put up with wet feet, than a virtual 'non-event' at Excel. I suspect someone is gonna be sorry! DRK

chopper2004
1st Nov 2012, 11:18
Just received my Helitech invite card just now in the post :) :)

Helitech International offers you and down the 5th out of 7th 'carrots' it says

"A static display inside and outside the exhibition hall"

Its the 'outside' bit gets me, maybe we can all fly there :)

ShyTorque
1st Nov 2012, 17:56
Unfortunately, the "personal" invite I received says: "A static aircraft display inside and outside the exhibition hall".

Nope - I still won't be going. I have never flown into the previous venues, only driven. But for me, London is a place too far.

500e
2nd Nov 2012, 11:11
Invites arrived yesterday, another no go

Cleared-HOT
2nd Nov 2012, 17:26
So why the big negatives against HeliTech, is it just because you cant fly in or out on the day or what. Heli Expo and other shows like HAC in Canada etc are all proper events and they dont allow people to fly in and out.

Paco - I would have thought that targeting propert customers would have been the basis of your decision, isnt that what exhibiting the shows is all about ?

Just curious.

Hughes500
2nd Nov 2012, 17:57
Cleared hot

Obviously never tried to get to that part of London by road then !:ugh:

Cleared-HOT
2nd Nov 2012, 18:21
Hughes500, no sir havent been there.

I take it from your post its not an easy place to get to.

Anthony Supplebottom
2nd Nov 2012, 20:30
Maybe we just want a show on our shores which is a little different to the rest, a bit more homely and where people have the freedom to fly in and out and be a bit casual.

The corporates don't always have to call the shots and by feeding reasoned defences for "going with the flow" you only encourage them to continue ruling the roost with scant regard for anything other than their own often pre-conceived ideas as to what they believe constitutes "success".

I've already joined the growing number of those who are saying "Not me at Helitech 2013" and hope many others will grow a good set of British b*lls and do the same.

Let's see something different and let's see something that we the operators, pilots, mechanics and other working in the industry actually want!

PANews
2nd Nov 2012, 20:42
It is unfair to knock Helitech at Excel on the grounds of access by potential visitors.

Been there a number of times [mainly for DSEi the month before the Helitech slot] and its very easy to get to using public transport. Main route is by the Docklands Light Railway but buses are another option. Cars are a nightmare and the cost of the [ample] car parking high but I guess the intention is that you will arrive by public transport having dumped the car on the edges of London.

Standing back from the event as a potential foreigner attending..... fly into London City ...... just a short train ride away on DLR.... and many attending Duxford have to fly into Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted and drive/travel many miles to Duxford via London to then find one of the scarce hotels in Cambridge. Thats a long drive every day. Even from Central London Excel is just 20 minutes by tube/DLR.

Overall London stays in a hotel might be expensive but these days there are cheap alternatives close by in the Travel lodge bracket [get in quick] and the location is just down the road from the Olympic site and quite a few people got there easily.

Do not get me wrong, I am against the move from Duxford, but fight the fight using the truth..... Excel is not hard to get to or even an unpleasant experience...... not much grass about though. My main negative in all this is the intention to move Helitech out of the UK from 2014, will it ever return?

paco
2nd Nov 2012, 20:55
It is not an easy place to get to, and if my customers are not there, what's the point in us going? My target market is not professionals who know where we are anyway! :)

Anthony - you kind of hit the nail on the head - it was more of a family show at Duxford and under the previous management. I distinctly didn't get that feeling at the last show.

Phil

Brilliant Stuff
4th Nov 2012, 07:58
London City I thought are only for business people with business prices. Isn't the train going to be a tad busy with all those people especially during the week where all of Canary Wharf are using them? Heathrow to Excel is a long slog on the train......

Car is easy ish to get to excel but you have the M25 to contend with.....

You really want the exhibition to happen on the M4/M3/M40 ....

Anywho I will only be going if there is a good enough reason but not for a jolly and going by past experience where my mate went in order to do some research in regards what products to buy then I won't bother, that's what PPrune is for.

PANews
4th Nov 2012, 10:05
All I can say is that for a handful of years the World has been going to DSEi [in the face of a detrimental high seurity presence by police etc against the anti-war factions protesting against the event] and getting there has been fairly easy and not too crowded.

The City is the other way, and you have to travel M25 to ExCel and Duxford if you are driving from Heathrow. No the M25 is not pleasant but I still have to use it to go to Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted to get to Berlin, Paris or the city hosting the Heli-Expo so I am well aware of its problems.

There must be others out there on Rotorheads that have been to DSEi and other events there and therefore have an opinion based upon the actual travel experience through having actually done it rather than guessing.

If you leave home territory its going to be nasty so its a matter of degree.

horatio_b
1st Jan 2013, 20:47
Just checked the Helitech website... currently 68 exhibitors
The last Duxford show had 260....

I would also imagine that hiring the Excel Centre is going to be rather more expensive than putting a tent up at Duxford.

The organisers will need to be getting a few more exhibitors signed up pretty quickly to make the event viable.

PANews
2nd Jan 2013, 06:23
The number of exhibitors seems at the moment to reflect the feelings on this forum.

From my understanding of the costs involved in going to Duxford I suspect that ExCel may have been cheaper overall. The IWM may have priced themselves out of the deal.

It was never put down in black and white but the way Duxford worked was that the organisers of Helitech had to pay the IWM an entry fee for every exhibitor , their staff and every likely visitor and then add the cost of 'the tent' on top.

Even as I wrote the above I fondly thought 'a tenner a head' because I have not been there as a paying punter [because of Helitech] in years..... so I just checked the entry fees posted on their website for next year...... £17.50 a head for simple adult entry this year. That includes a voluntary surcharge -whatever that is - over the base price of £15.90.

Helitech is not a giant show in terms of numbers but it does attract a lot of people to times that £17.50 [or £15.90] by....... :}

Anthony Supplebottom
2nd Jan 2013, 08:57
Some of us have become anti-Helitech because we don't want to visit a show in an exhibition hall on the edges of London but wish to be at an airfield which you can fly into, preferably grass (but tarmac will do) with the odd Spitfire around!

This is our prerogative as visitors and we are entitled to hold this view.

Hughes500
2nd Jan 2013, 09:59
Supple

Here here ! I know of 12 people who would normally go who are not due to venue

Ian Corrigible
15th Mar 2013, 16:48
HeliTech organizers claim that interest is running 10 percent above last year (http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/hai-convention-news/2013-03-05/exhibitor-interest-rising-helitech)

I/C

Hughes500
15th Mar 2013, 18:27
hardly going to say its 10% doen !

horatio_b
15th Mar 2013, 23:17
Looking at the exhibitor floorplan, I note that Premiair have quite a large stand....

ShyTorque
15th Mar 2013, 23:24
I'm not 10% more interested this year..... :oh:

nellycopter
16th Mar 2013, 06:48
Heli expo at sywell next year,
Read it on Heli hub...
Maybe this will take over where Heli tech left off ?

PANews
16th Mar 2013, 11:42
Apparently the organisers literally made their peace with Helitech in a one to one meeting at the Heli-Expo on the basis that they were simply widening the appeal of an existing event potentially to include a larger helicopter content [but already I have heard that industry has said 'oh no' not another].

Aeroexpo was in any case a 'mixed media' GA air event so it is only a slight widening of the marketing effort rather than a head banging all out helicopter event. No worse than the one day business event at Cambridge in its content....... well that is what they are selling!

Rabina
20th Mar 2013, 06:44
We've taken the bait and will exhibit at Helitech 2013. Not sure what to expect, but Duxford was always a little amateur and getting visitors there on a one day European trip was tricky unless you used taxis.

My only regret might end up not being able to adore the TSR2 in the big shed next door ....

Bournemouth Air
14th May 2013, 19:08
Hs any of those undecided locations been decided yet

chopper2004
20th Sep 2013, 19:13
Few days to go now :)

Record number of helicopters to be displayed at Helitech International | Vertical Magazine - The Pulse of the Helicopter Industry (http://www.verticalmag.com/news/article/Record-number-of-helicopters-to-be-displayed-at-Helitech-Int#.UjyeDj-Uvxw)

Cheers

chopper2004
20th Sep 2013, 19:16
Out of interest, can anyone hazard a guess, how many will be flying into the temp heliport at the Excel? If so then they will arrive on Monday and fly out Friday?

collectivethrust
20th Sep 2013, 20:40
Most of the aircraft are flying in on Saturday afternoon. And coming out on Friday.

CT

heli1
20th Sep 2013, 21:37
Best go by tube.its £15.00 per day to park your car,including exhibitors!

Satcop
21st Sep 2013, 11:27
The schedule for today is:
AW101 ETA 1300, AW189 ETA 1330, EC130 ETA 1430, Cabri G2 ETA 1500, EC145 ETA 1530, MD369 ETA 1600, Bell429 ETA 1630 and AW139 ETA 1700. All scheduled to avoid disrupting LCY ops.

Alloa Akbar
23rd Sep 2013, 08:01
The problem for me with Helitech is that it really only supports the Heli sales and operational side of the business. Heli-Expo on the other hand is much more diverse and allows all factions of the helicopter business to integrate. Perhaps that is due to the OEM's perception of Helitech and how they approach it.

I will attend this year again out of interest and curiosity, but in terms of leading a helicopter components manufacturer, I don't expect to have any meaningful conversations.:suspect:

PANews
23rd Sep 2013, 09:13
Helitech is what Helitech is..... Heli-Expo sits nearer to the Farnborough/Paris model and there is time yet for it to prove itself at Excel and perhaps even to grow some towards being a European Heli-Expo. Why it would do that after all these years is another story. There is only one Heli-Expo.

Much has been made of the poor location... cost of parking, lack of an ability to do demo flights [and that affects some Heli-Expo locations] etc but there are positive aspects including the easy access to hotels and public transport.

There is news today of LCY [London City] seeking to expand and that will further encroach upon Helitech flying.

LCY has submitted a planning application for permission to expand its current infrastructure to accommodate up to 120,000 flight movements (take offs and landings) per year, a level already permitted under an application granted in 2009. As current flying is restricted by LCY quiet times to little or nothing, that development looks likely to seal the long term fate of any flying at Helitech UK. That said Heli-Expo flying is back lot stuff and a minor part of the whole experience so perhaps everyone will recourse to off site demos before and after as Eurocopter did.

Alloa Akbar
23rd Sep 2013, 12:10
Why it would do that after all these years is another story

Quite simply the business is changing and evolving and Helitech needs to move with the times, either that or someone else may step in with a better offering. Europe forms a huge manufacturing base as well as operational base for helicopters. In my view Helitech may better serve its own long term aspirations by embracing this concept a little better.

Maff
23rd Sep 2013, 17:01
I flew in there today in my EC-120 which is on display at the entrance, we had bad weather but as soon as the time was right we set off and no issue from London City. Most big exhibitors have approx 40 slots each for demo flights over the three days, so whilst visiting aircraft will not be possible, demo flights are, but it's down to the exhibitor to do so if they wish.

KiwiNedNZ
24th Sep 2013, 18:32
So after Day One of Helitech what are the thoughts of those who attended. Have heard mixed comments so far.

good egg
24th Sep 2013, 19:24
Can't speak about the exhibits, but jolly accommodating of them to accept the Helimed the other day (Cat A) :ok:

As for LCY expansion encroaching on Helitech flying...not sure that even merits a response! (But here goes....I do like rising to bait....)
(a) who was there first? - Not that that matters as we're all for the fair and equitable use of airspace...
(b) have there been any issues (weather not included) relating to flying in to ExCeL (which I may add is about 650m short of the threshold for RW09 at LCY)?
(c) 120,000 movements per annum will not be realised for a number of years. Pre-recession movements were close to 90,000 per annum - albeit then there were 3 peaks in traffic (the morning rush, a lunchtime semi-rush, and an evening rush) as opposed to the 2 peaks now (morning & evening). Even if LCY traffic picked up SUBSTANTIALLY in the short term there would still be leeway for accommodating Helitech ExCeL traffic...admittedly any hazard analysis is likely to highlight that flying outside LCY peak hours is preferable (less delays all round, and less likelihood of wake turbulence encounters)
(d)...is there a limit to how much I can type in one post??

PANews
24th Sep 2013, 21:32
Well.....

It was not Helitech Duxford.

Most people I spoke to were reserving their opinion for later in the week, potentially because they could not get their heads around what they were feeling.

I too am unsure.

A mini Heli-Expo? Yes well perhaps but it is short on static exhibits - no Spitfires anywhere....

It seems quieter but I do not think it is.... seem to be going round and round waiting for the people I want to speak to to be free.... so that is quite busy.

That £15 is not really an issue. Plenty of parking, lots of choice and space and public transport in London is quite pricey anyway so be the time you have paid to park away from ExCel and paid for a train ticket its nearly the same and probably slower overall. Travel from the M25 in is quick and pretty easy even in rush hour. Leaving at 5pm I was back to the M25 within 20 minutes.

Winniebago
25th Sep 2013, 07:43
Doesn't help with LCY being fog-bound for two mornings in succession.....

KiwiNedNZ
25th Sep 2013, 19:07
Interesting feedback I just got from one attendee. Seems that when they went out to go to the bathrooms they were rescanned when they came back in again. Now does that increase the attendance count each time they are scanned ??

JimL
26th Sep 2013, 07:46
Excel is extremely well designed - good facilities (although shared with other exhibitions) and hassle-free parking. Arrival from either the North or the South is relatively easy down the A13 or the A2.

I thought the show was the same size as Duxford with a similar attendance. The manufacturer's stands were populated with aircraft (more like heli-expro than helitech) and the staff therefore more available. Booths did not appear to be busy.

Populating the internal static display might have added something to the show. It was possible to carry out discussions in the hall without the noise levels experienced at Duxford.

As the badges are individually coded, it is unlikely that attendance numbers are fudged. I couldn't see the point because there is no scanning on leaving. It might be part of the Excel culture to avoid forged passes (where security is an issue). As the badges are issued at the door, there is an accurate record of attendance.

Rigga
26th Sep 2013, 16:11
"Interesting feedback I just got from one attendee. Seems that when they went out to go to the bathrooms they were rescanned when they came back in again. Now does that increase the attendance count each time they are scanned ?? "

re-Scanning just confirms you're a registered attendee/guest - and it's probably an Excel security system anyway.

PANews
26th Sep 2013, 18:25
Overall I think it worked very well.

From past experience of DSEi and other domestic exhibitions ExCel is, as noted above, a very attendee friendly venue. Clean airy and not [for the current events] not too overcrowded with good facilities all round that do not seek to fleece you. Remember the restaurant service at the Duxford? One option take it or leave it at a high price .... ExCel has a dozen or more options and various prices.

There has been much said about the lack of customer demonstrations at this years event..... but the feedback I get is that the manufacturers did what they needed to on site or did it before or after..... [ie almost nothing] and in any case Duxford had zapped demo flights anyway.

True to form it seems those that said they were not going because they could not fly in did not turn out [Damyns Farm was all but deserted] - or they came by car or public transport.

The proof of success will be in the next six months sales record.....

Evalu8ter
26th Sep 2013, 19:15
I thought it was a good half way house between Duxford and Heli-Expo. I like Excel as a venue with excellent transport links, multiple choices of food and several hotels - some at surprisingly good value (I had the London City Travelodge - a 10 minute walk - for £59). Yes, as a spotter, I missed the wander around the museum and the odd Merlin crackle in the circuit but I liked the sense of space. It was much more relaxing than DSEi a couple of weeks ago!

I did note that no-one scanned my pass on stalls; at DSEi I was scanned onto several stalls (for lunch, coffee or beer) so the vendors knew who'd been where.

Lots of good networking and some good business done....satis from my PoV! Oh, and a banging hangover to boot.....

EESDL
29th Sep 2013, 19:31
Enjoyed the 3-days
Excellent location
Good network event on first evening but beer ran out after an hour............:-)
V impressed with 429 flight but nowt to do with show ;-)
Next time - more aircon required in exhibit halls - perhaps they could get Bell to do the aircon as 429's was excellent!

Ian Corrigible
30th Sep 2013, 14:35
Interesting to note that the 2014 venue has already been switched from Berlin to Amsterdam (http://www.helitechevents.com/en/Media/Press-Releases/Rotary-innovation-ushers-in-new-look-Helitech-International-2013-with-Amsterdam-set-to-host-2014-edition). (Attendance is predicted to reach an all-time high. :E)

I/C

heli1
30th Sep 2013, 18:38
I doubt it Ian. As one major manufacturer put it to me ,the UK is where all the real helicopter action is and they don't want to lash out another 200,000 dollars for a booth at Amsterdam as they did for the Excel Centre....where in fact they did so well that they went home early!

Brilliant Stuff
30th Sep 2013, 19:20
I can't see the point of 1 each year especially when you have Farnborough and Paris...

KiwiNedNZ
30th Sep 2013, 19:29
Brillant Stuff - The problem with Farnborough and Paris is a helo company is one tiny small exhibitor amongst thousands and it costs at least $10K for the stand alone at Paris.

In my opinion helo only shows are much more use to the industry than being part of a massive show like FB or Paris.

In addition Europe has a lot of helo work going on, not sure how it compares to the UK but dont think the comment is right that all the real helo action is in the UK.

Cheers

chopper2004
30th Sep 2013, 20:32
I had mixed feelings and have to say, it was not bad by half. TBH, the number of a/c on display were just the same as when it was held at IWM.

Though when entering and greeted by the Eurocopter stand, it felt like I was back in the states at the convention centers back in the States,. As the EC130T2 was unveiled in Dallas and the second prototype of the EC145T2 (which also did the tour of the western states) was shown this year in Vegas.

It was nice to see the National Grid 429 make its debut and the VIP AW101 outside on the temp helipad. I guess the old saying 'Less is More' can apply.

Plus side there's more amenities, inside Excel to cater to all tastes, rather than the food facilities at IWM, and restaurant / cafe run inside the chalets. Also access to the City so much more attractions.

Negative side, takes a few hours to drive / train it into Excel and have not got the benefit of a grassy airfield for owners / operators to fly in and nostalgic aviation plus free entry into the museum. (Normally entry into the IWM is around 12 to 15 quid)

Slightly disappointed that it is in Amsterdam next year as opposed to Berlin, am sure the city of canals and cafes and window shopping :mad::mad::cool: will appease to all tastes. Does anyone know anything about the proposed venue there? Is it similar to Excel or bigger?

Cheers

PANews
30th Sep 2013, 21:04
Berlin was always a bit 'iffy' as it clashed with the Berlin Air Show but the question that must be asked is whether Amsterdam is a centre of helicopter excellence?:confused:

The organisers did a good job this year but it was they and others who destroyed a certain other upstart Helicopter Show in the UK Midlands with a [hollow?] claim that industry neither wanted nor could afford an annual helicopter show in Europe.:=

If that claim holds any shred of truth they may be hoisted on their own Petard.... :ouch:

heli1
30th Sep 2013, 21:20
Seriously Chopper204 should we measure show success by the fast food outlets and access to downtown shopping,or by the footfall of serious buyers and sales.
Will the buyers turn out in numbers at Amsterdam?
And by the way I was being sarcastic when I said a major manufacturer went home early from Excel because they did so well. Truth was they left because they spent most of the show talking to each other !

chopper2004
30th Sep 2013, 21:52
Forgot to mention about the nice taverns around, one prime example being the Fox Bar then :cool: ? Tbh Heli, you have a point there.

The first Helitech I attended was at Redhill '99, which was also the last one to be held there before moving up to my neck of the woods.
I wonder how everyone in the industry felt back in 2000, when the organizers announced the move to IWM....were there any issues raised at the time?

If it was not for Le Bourget, I would have attended the EHS in the Czech Republic. But both events were pretty close by about a 4/5 weeks.

In Amsterdam, the other year, the European Rotorcraft Forum was held I recall (didn't have time to attend that). Therefore, the main elements to the Dutch helicopter industry is roughly the same as here; offshore, HEMS, Politie, some charter, some manufacturing and of course the National Research Lab.

Cheers

stingerdinger
1st Oct 2013, 12:15
I visited Helitech at it's new home and I'm a bit undecided. In one way it seemed a lot more professional and cut out a lot of the GA that just used to go into Duxford for the jolly, but on the other hand Duxford had a nice buzz about it and sure as hell was easier to get to in the car or by helicopter!

SD

Rabina
2nd Oct 2013, 05:54
We had a good Helitech as a first time exhibitor. There were always people on the booth or we could network around the hall. Would definitely sign up for another Excel event, probably not for Amsterdam as it obviously has no history of hosting this type of show.

When it comes down to the crunch, London has the facilities, hotels and transportation at the event location and this saves a ton of time and hassle. We too had people held up Tuesday due to fog at LCY, but that could happen anywhere. My only recommendation would be to make it a two day show, no one seemed to be thrilled about showing up on the last day and there wasn't much new foot traffic Thursday, mainly exhibitors talking to their neighbors.

Savoia
3rd Oct 2013, 15:25
This article by Jeremy Parkin comes across as a sound summary of the event but, having not attended, I am unable to verify this. Are there those who attended who agree with Jeremy's synopsis?

HeliHub: Helitech 2013 Summary (http://helihub.com/2013/10/03/helitech-roundup-was-central-london-the-best-location/)

Ian Corrigible
3rd Oct 2013, 16:54
Analysis of production data by HeliHub.com suggests that this contract was likely signed some months back and only released now for this show.
I'm shocked, shocked I tell ya! :E

[Eurocopter ran] their own event for over 100 invited customers in the days just before at their Oxford base. A clear snub to Helitech organisers.
How is a nearby event organized to align with Helitech a snub? Had they held it in Aberdeen the same days as the show, then it would have been a snub...

Pratt & Whitney - quite a small stand and no PR. Fail.
So a fail despite having a stand at the show? These shows are often of questionable value to major component suppliers (engines (P&WC, RR, TM), gearboxes (Triumph, ZF), blades (Kamen), etc.) unless they have major news to announce (or a major sales campaign to pursue).

No mention of Sloane's presence (R66)?

I/C

Chris P Bacon
3rd Oct 2013, 20:40
Thought the Helihub report was a bit one sided, anti EXCEL and factual incorrect. A couple of points to note.
Although Rolls Royce didn't have a stand, there was the regional M250/RR300 rep, plus one of the VP's from the US walking the show, wearing large badges.

Multiflight had a stand and very well represented by all the departments

Eastern Atlantic were also walking the floor for at least two days.

Lots of the people I spoke with had an excellent show, with top quality people coming to see them; our company included. When you can put good quality giveaways on the counter, and they don't get grabbed by the bag fillers, something must be right.

md 600 driver
4th Oct 2013, 06:50
I agree with Jeremy's report if anything it may have been more biased to helitech than against
I was one of the 10 visiting helicopters and I spent more time on the bus than flying that day
I think there would have been a lot more visiting helicopters if the weather had been kinder
We were lucky to have flown down the day prior and overnighted 11 mins flying time away otherwise we would have been driving (we were delayed anyway due to WX)

I preferred helitech duxford/redhill format than the new one but that's my own preference

Savoia
4th Oct 2013, 08:10
Not sure if Senior Pilot would be up for it but .. t'would be interesting (I think) to run a poll on which format of show/exhibition is preferred ie. the airfield based (Duxford style) scenario or the larger convention centre arrangement. Perhaps the convention centre arrangement (as per ExCel) would have been more agreeable at some other location (eg. Birmingham etc.) or at a location with few flying restrictions.

One outsider observation I would make is that there appeared to be an emphasis on the 'convenience' and centrality of ExCel's location whereas many have testified that the logistics associated with attending the show were, well .. awkward.

The comments so far seem fairly mixed.

helihub
4th Oct 2013, 10:23
Thank you all for reading my article! My apologies to Multiflight, who did have a stand and I have removed from the comment in the article (I missed their stand, it must have been significantly scaled down compared with their 2011 one...)

A past exhibitor walking the floor is not a commitment to an exhibition, it's a toe-in-the-water by those who thought the move to ExCeL might not work. The acid test is whether the same people are still walking the floor in Amsterdam or they commit to a stand. I'm not anti-ExCeL, btw, but it's a pain to get to for most people in the UK unless you happen to be staying at a nearby (probably very expensive) hotel or you love standing up on public transport.

The much larger number of aircraft shown at Duxford made it a better place to visit for many. Do we want an exhibition with less and less aircraft exhibits? Perhaps we do? An airframe purchase is a generally a long-term project, so it's not like someone pitches up (haha), sees a helicopter they like and places a deposit.

The test of success at ExCeL London will be shown in Amsterdam where there are likely to be less airframes shown as everything needs to come in/out by road.

How many other cities/countries will Helitech rotate through before it comes back to the UK?

PhlyingGuy
4th Oct 2013, 13:37
it's not like someone pitches up (haha), sees a helicopter they like and places a deposit.

I've seen it happen! Rich guys with money burning holes in their pockets.

For what it's worth, I think helicopter OEM's would much rather have HeliTech become a 1/2-3/4 Heli-Expo rather than spend all that money at Farn/Paris....

helihub
4th Oct 2013, 17:55
There are indeed exceptions like that, but they're rare. I remember the Monaco helicopter show in about 1996 and a guy turned up from Burkina Faso (West Africa) and put a deposit on an Enstrom 480.

Taking the approach they have, Reed are starting to make it more of a B2B event by reducing the B2C element they had before. That would also reduce the number of your "Rich guys with money burning holes in their pockets" at the event.

KiwiNedNZ
10th Oct 2013, 19:03
Interesting reading, doesnt sound like the same show that previous posters have described.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helitech International breaks records

More than 220 exhibiting companies, representing 26 countries, attended Helitech International 2013 at ExCeL London from 24-26 September. The event was almost 30% larger than the previous edition and hosted 18 aircraft, with over 5,600 attendees (this pre-audit figure represents a 12% increase on the 2011 attendance number) and a series of high-profile contract signings - making it the most successful edition to date.

The show's relocation to ExCeL proved an outstanding success. The proportion of international attendees increased by 20% and a record contingent of 70 first-time exhibitors were keen to showcase the latest technological innovations to grace the rotorcraft sector. "This was our first year at Helitech International", said Mikael Randhem, CEO of Northern Helicopters. "We felt that it was important to attend the event given the international nature of the exhibitors and visitors who attend. It has provided us with the opportunity to lay down a marker in the rotorcraft sector and showcase our unique products and services".

Held in association with the European Helicopter Association, Helitech International 2013 also saw a strong presence from AgustaWestland, Bell Helicopter, Eurocopter, Russian Helicopters and Sikorsky.

Business was brisk at the event as AgustaWestland, Avincis Group, Bell Helicopter, Bond Air Services, Eurocopter, MD Helicopters, Milestone Aviation and PremiAir each took the opportunity to sign contract agreements and announce service launches. The strength of the attendance from key stakeholders across the rotorcraft sector proved especially popular with exhibitors. "The big players are all here, so we are very happy to be here. I am happy about the exhibition; it is a very good, well-organised event", said Andrea Girolin, CEO at 4Aviation. His thoughts were echoed by Mark Hammond, Sales Executive at Air & Ground Aviation; "We have welcomed a high-quality range of both national and international visitors to our stand this week and the feeling we have is that the change of venue to a more central London location has proved to be beneficial. We are confident that we will be following up a number of excellent business leads during the next few weeks that will likely materialise into future business whilst we've also maintained and strengthened existing links with our customer base this week".

Eurocopter took the opportunity to announce the sale of VIP EC175s to two customers; bookings which came only six months after the twin-engine, medium-class helicopter was initially introduced to the high-end market. Meanwhile: Helicentre Aviation announced an order placed for a fourth addition to the Cabri G2 fleet at the company's Aviation Academy; Teal Group released its keenly anticipated annual world rotorcraft overview; Heli-One publicised a contract to upgrade two AS332 L1s to perform all-weather SAR missions in the Arctic area for Lufttransport AS; and AgustaWestland announced the availability of a new training centre dedicated to the GrandNew light twin helicopter, centred upon the GrandNew Full Flight Simulator (FFS).

Attendees gather at the Eurocopter stand

Away from the show floor, a comprehensive conference programme, sponsored by Rolls-Royce, focused upon a range of topical subjects including: the future of the rotorcraft sector; Night HEMS (Helicopter Emergency Operations); rulemaking; and rotorcraft business challenges & opportunities. Keynote addresses were provided by an enviable array of industry specialists such as: Dr Norbert Lohl, Certification Director, European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA); Gerry Hermer, Aviation Consultant, East Anglian Air Ambulance; Willy Sigl, Rulemaking officer, EASA Flight Standards; and Dr Andrew Black, Director and Head of Analysis, Hawk Associates.

The excellent prospect of future perspectives within the rotorcraft sector provided the focus of Dr Lohl's opening address but he temporised his optimism with the warning that expectations within the industry had to be managed. This balanced message was something Dr Black developed in the conference's final session, suggesting that western companies' dominant market share will come under increasing pressure from Russia and new market competitors - including India's Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd and China's AVIC - especially within the light military sector.

However he also argued that prospects looked bright in the civilian light sector between 2013 and 2022, whilst predicting that demand for civilian helicopters is currently set to peak in 2018 with a market valuation of $9 billion.

The breadth and depth of the conference impressed many, including London's Air Ambulance Charity Director and AOC, David Oakley; "Helitech International 2013 was a great opportunity to network and meet existing and new contacts and keep abreast of where the industry is moving. We found the conference sessions very informative and we look forward to next year's event. Thank you to Helitech International for choosing us as their charity".

The show's relocation to ExCeL London enabled visitors to have a hands-on experience as they were invited to sit inside a number of platforms situated on exhibitor's stands and within internal and external static display areas. A series of engaging demonstration flights also provided a welcome interactive element to this year's event. "NATS and London City Airport proved extremely helpful", said Event Director John Hyde, "their cooperation has enabled exhibitors to fly rotorcraft into ExCeL for display and provide them the opportunity for a full programme of demonstration flights for potential customers, showcasing platforms such as the Bell 429".

"Helitech International continues to strengthen its position as the preeminent helicopter event outside of America. I am already looking forward to Helitech International 2014, which will be held at the Amsterdam RAI in the Netherlands from 14-16 October and already anticipate another year of success given the popularity of this edition with exhibitors and visitors".

heli1
10th Oct 2013, 23:05
Certainly doesn't sound the same show we attended! I know rotors go around but they don't spin to this extent.
Interesting they don't list Sikorsky in the list of satisfied customers. Not surprised ,they were spitting blood when I visited their stand and said how it was a total waste of 250,000 dollars. There were more retired people,consultants and enthusiasts than real buyers and pilots and how they can say it was so much bigger than the previous show is farcical.Ask those who booked space to be near the (half empty) indoor static or those who saw the one Bell 429 doing demo flights on just two afternoons!
Sorry but HeliExpo it ain't and moving next year to Amsterdam can only be downhill....(Yes I know Holland is flat!)