PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Pages in Forum Topics

MacBoero
20th Sep 2012, 14:57
Why is it that the number of page links for a topic is often one more than the actual number of pages?

I have just been reading the "Apple stuff - Mac, iPad, iphone" topic, which has 55 real pages of posts. The page selector says page 55 or 56 when going to the end of the topic, but shows a link to page 56, which if clicked takes you only to page 55 again. I am guessing it is something to do with the topic's page 55 being full, so the next post will go into page 56, but why is the 56 link there before it has any content to view?

BOAC
20th Sep 2012, 15:03
http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/472097-database-page-disjoint.html

MacBoero
20th Sep 2012, 15:41
OK, so its a long running issue with the forum. Sorry I brought it up again.

Bushfiva
20th Sep 2012, 15:42
The more often it's brought up, the more likely it is to be fixed.

MacBoero
20th Sep 2012, 15:59
I've sure that forum administrators are aware of it, and I suspect that the problem can only really be dealt with by the software engineers that develop the forum engine, and they are unlikely to be subjected to any further noise on the matter on PPRuNe and therefore it is unlikely to have any effect on the speed that a solution is found and put into place.

BOAC
20th Sep 2012, 17:28
The point of my link was that it is better to add to that thread than start another. CleeIB will pick it up.

BrandiNettIB
22nd Sep 2012, 01:21
Our engineers wrote a script that should take care of this issue. However, the script only runs weekly so as to conserve system resources.

So if threads show inaccurate page counts, the issue should resolve within a week or so. If that doesn't happen for a particular thread, feel free to call it out here.

The more pages a thread has, the more likely it is to experience this issue. If you see a thread heading towards the long side, feel free to start a mk 2 version of the thread with links to and from the original thread. That will help prevent the issue from recurring.

mike-wsm
22nd Sep 2012, 09:48
Oh, wow, JB has a mod??? Now that's the most dangerous job on this planet, up to and including LEO. :ok: