PDA

View Full Version : Australia, Antarctica, (etc.)

SFly
8th Apr 2002, 23:07
Now the name 'America' comes from the Latin 'Americus' with comes from some early Italian mapmaker who first drew the New World on a bit of parchment; he was called Amerigo or something.

Where does Australia come from?

And for that matter, where do Europe, Asia, Africa and Antarctica come from?

Over to the PPRuNers.
:confused:

(Walks quietly away for further ponderings)
SFly

redsnail
8th Apr 2002, 23:33
Australia = Terra Australis = Great Southern Land. :D

pigboat
9th Apr 2002, 00:38
You mean it ain't somewhere over the rainbow???:cool:

somewhatconcerned
9th Apr 2002, 00:55
Europe's easy. Drink red wine in abundence and wait for the noise. Yerp!!

BlueDiamond
9th Apr 2002, 02:42
Australia was originally named "New Holland" by early Dutch explorers.

Later it was referred to as Terra Australis or the Great Southern Land (just as Reddo says)

From 1819 the term "Australia" was adopted to describe the continent and it has been known by this name ever since.

con-pilot
9th Apr 2002, 03:53
Mr. Draper, it's over to you sir.

Checkboard
9th Apr 2002, 04:36
Antartica wasn't discovered until the 1800s, the name was selected after a bunch of suggestions, and is simply formed from the opposite of Arctic. A great many commentators of the day thought the name stupid.

sprocket
9th Apr 2002, 08:24
Using that same method of naming, then where/what the heck is
Ipodes???

:confused:

Kilted
9th Apr 2002, 08:49
Actually, SFly, there is considerable doubt as to whether America was named after Amerigo Vespucci (sp?) at all (an "also ran", explorer if ever I heard of one, erroneously associated with the discovery by a German priest!), and recent work has suggested that it may well have evolved from "La Meriga" the name of the star of the west, which the Nasoreans believed was the marker of a perfect land across the ocean of the setting sun, and where it is virutally certain some of the Templars went following their dissolution in 1307.

Checkboard: Re the discovery of Antarctica - if it wasn't discovered until the 1800s, why is it depicted on the Piris Reis map, published in 1513 and copied from earlier maps?:confused:

That ought to liven things up a bit!:D :D

SFly
9th Apr 2002, 20:29
Thanks all;
Kilted, interesting about America.
I've also heard of the 'Antarctic Mystery' . . . in a very thick book by some nut. I'm afraid I never really got into it but it is an interesting issue just the same.
Apparently, early maps had the pre-ice dimensions of Antarctica depicted on them to an amazing degree of exactness.

I'll probably post more info when I find the book.
SFly

ORAC
9th Apr 2002, 20:56
America wuz discovered by us Brits. Just like them thievin' furriners t' claim credit. Draper'll tell yer. We Brits invented an' discovered just about allus things:

Amerike (http://pages.prodigy.net/rodney.broome/terramain.htm)

The name "America" almost certainly derives from the name of an Englishman who was of Welsh descent and not, as it is popularly believed, from the Italian, Amerigo Vespucci.

Richard Amerike (also Ap Meryk) was a wealthy merchant and government official living in Bristol, England, from ca. 1440 - 1503.

He was the principal financial investor in the expedition led by John Cabot. He sailed from Bristol in 1497 in a ship called the "Matthew" and is credited with officially "discovering" North America.

Terra Incognita is the story of the Waldseeemuller map and how the name America came to be written on it.

A new publication from:

Educare Press
P. O. Box 17222
Seattle, Washington 98107

(206) 782-4797 fax (206) 782-4802