PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with my career path to engineering

RT-XD
18th Sep 2012, 16:47
Hi all,

Firstly, if I've done something wrong (like post in the wrong area) then please let me know. I'm new here but I will get the hang of things soon.

You can call me RT, I'm 18 years old - and basically I have just come out of A-level studies from sixth form. Most of the people I know have already applied and are about to go off to Uni, but I on the other hand decided to be a bit different...

I struggled quite a lot in the school - mostly because I didn't like all the pressure the teachers put on me, and not to mention the fact I can struggle quite a lot with exams. In the end I only managed to achieve 3 high C's when really I could have done a lot better.
Anyway, fact is I was thinking of going to Uni, but after this I realized I should probably go down a different path. Probably one that is more to do with the practical side of engineering.

My GCSE's were pretty good and so I was thinking of going towards an apprenticeship; I'm much better with practical work then I am with theory (though I'm ok with theory too). I did apply to a few apprenticeship schemes, some of which got to the interview stage but none were successful.

I wanted to know if there's anything else which I can apply for to get me started in my career in aeronautical engineering? I'm interested in pretty much all the areas of this subject - I absolutely love it! Only problem is I don't really know where to start.

Thanks for all your help!

Best Regards,
RT

cockney steve
19th Sep 2012, 09:50
go round local airfields, knock on doors, ask to see the "boss" in maintenance hangars, plead for a start as tea-boy, floor-sweeper or whatever.....the hard part is making the first contacts and friends...this applies everywhere...if your profile doesn't fit as well as someone else's, you're out!

Impress with your willingness,interest and diligence. no use doing a rough job of cleaning the bog, just 'cos you don't like it.

lastly, I'm afraid you will still need to study,pass exams and get the bits of paper that "prove" you are competent. it covers the employer's backside and keeps jobsworth examiners in a job.

You'll find Further Education a totally different environment from school.

good luck.

The90sAME
19th Sep 2012, 11:21
If you want an apprenticeship, keep an eye open, they pop up randomly and vanish as quick as they came.

Also, apply for apprenticeships before you turn 19, you have a greater chance at getting it before you're 19, and a far less chance when you hit 20.
Its all to do with money reasons, its wrong IMO.

Alternatively, you dont need to have an apprentice to get there, its just an easier route as the airline pays for all your training.

You can start out with next to no skill (Some engineering qualification wouldn't go a miss, such as an NVQ in Performing Engineering Operations) and start as an un-licensed fitter, and pay for your own training to become licensed.

You dont even need to work on Aircraft to do your License theory, you can pay and do that now (A full part 147 course will set you back £6K-8K, or you can self study, far cheaper option), then work unlicensed to gain the required hands on experience, then apply for your license.

Im an apprentice myself, I started in early this year, if you want to ask a few questions about things from my perspective, shoot me a PM, ill reply when I can.

RT-XD
19th Sep 2012, 18:09
apprenticeships is something I'm definitely interested. I'm about to send off applications to several places - Marshell, Virgin, BA...a lot more.

I could also go to an airfield - there is one very nearby to where I am.

I'll see how these applications go first it looks like.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions :)
I'll gladly consider any more if anyone else can think of any :)

YOUNGBUCK
21st Sep 2012, 10:28
Hi RT

Apprenticeships are the best way into this if you are lucky enough, contact the training department of all the engineering companies and airlines asking about the apprenticeships and if there is anything coming up or next year. Getting your first job is the hardest, its all about getting your foot in the door.

What Cockney Steve said is very true and his advice is wise.

90sAME mentions about other methods to enter the industry, but in reality, is very rarely these methods that get people into aviation. Getting a fitters job with or without a licence is hard without any prior experience. And paying for your own training to become licensed still leaves you with no real experience. Basically it is hard to get the initial experience.
I do not recommend spending the money on a course of this type as I see too many students with brains and money take this route and not get what they had hoped from it. (many indians do this at places like ICAT, Bristol College etc)

If you cannot find an apprenticeship, Have you consider the RAF or Navy for an apprenticeship where you will recieve good training real aircraft experience albeit not civilian aircraft. I personally did not take this route and was lucky enough to land an apprenticeship, but many of the lads I work with took this route from the forces - and have ended up well.

Best of luck.

dogtired2
24th Sep 2012, 07:38
Hi 90's AME, Also really interested in this and live close to Manchester ...hope its OK sent you a PM from my Dad's account as I couldn't get PPRUNE to authorise an immediate post.

spanner 56
28th Sep 2012, 01:50
Hey RT.....Cckney Steve's advice is spot on. Exactly how I started some 38yrs back. Hated school and exams. Got my ATPL (Airline Trolley Pushing Licence!!!) as a porter/general hand with a small company that ran 2 BN2 Islanders and a Beech Baron. You gotta start somewhere and learning to load and clean an aircraft from the start helps. From there I got started into 5yr apprenticeship scheme and moved on....enjoyed everyday in the 38yrs and still loving it.
You can do it.

RT-XD
7th Oct 2012, 13:06
Thanks everyone for all your help. It's been very useful.

At the moment I'm just applying to all the apprenticeships I see out there - hopefully I will get into one of them. If not, then I will do exactly what you suggested - just put myself out there and do whatever I can XD

I'll keep you posted! :D Thanks again.

--RT