PDA

View Full Version : What VHF Radio?

Sunfish
16th Sep 2012, 21:16
Rudder, stabilizer, elevator, flaps and ailerons finished, right wing almost complete. Left wing and fuselage to go.

Wondering what radio to buy, Microair, X-Com or something else?

Main display will be a skyview with backup compass, mechanical ASI and altimeter.

T28D
16th Sep 2012, 22:24
Becker is best

Aussie Bob
16th Sep 2012, 22:30
Sadly Sunfish, the majority of mini radios I have seen fall way short of ideal. I would go as far as saying I have never seen one work as well as a tray mount. Get an Icom 210. Simple, easy to use and up there with the best of them.

KRviator
16th Sep 2012, 23:18
I've got an Xcom in my yet-to-fly RV. Built in intercom, slightly more power than a Microair and music input sold it for me.

Mach E Avelli
17th Sep 2012, 00:03
My original Microair went on the fritz. The factory upgraded the innards to the latest spec for a modest charge. They did it while I waited, so I am happy enough with their support. But Becker probably is better.

VH-XXX
17th Sep 2012, 01:46
I'd buy an XCOM over Microair. The XCOM was invented locally to fill the gaps of what the Microair was missing. The XCOM is dual frequency and has a built-in 2 place intercom (as noted above). The XCOMs are Australian made in the US by Narco. I used one for 6 years and loved it. There were some issues with the early models out of the origianal manufacturer but they are long gone.

I'm getting many mixed reports on the new Icom with the digital screen, many are having trouble getting them functioning without interference but I know many are very happy with them in factory built aircraft. (Not to say that they aren't any good when self-installed)

rjtjrt
17th Sep 2012, 02:26
Anyone have any experience of the MGL V6 radio (not the V10)?

John

peterc005
17th Sep 2012, 03:49
I've got an Icom IC-210A VHF radio and really like it.

It has a good inbuilt intercom, which saves the hassle of installing an external intercom.

It also couples with most GPS units so it con load an approaching airport CTAF as the standby frequency as you approach.

Most older radios have all their logic as electronics, but the 210A is a generation later and most of the logic is in software, meaning you have a lot more control over the radio with lots of settings.

It took me ages to get the 210A setup the way I like, but then recently my battery failed and I lost the settings. Next time I'll write the settings down :-(

LeadSled
17th Sep 2012, 04:29
Sunfish,
At the risk of disagreeing with T-28D, for VFR the ICom already mentioned. Becker is great, but expensive and almost an orphan now in Oz.

Around here, the radio techs hate the ICom because they don't provide any after fitting revenue ---ie: they are bloody reliable.

Tootle pip!!

Jack Ranga
17th Sep 2012, 08:35
GTN750 :ok:

BronteExperimental
17th Sep 2012, 09:05
Prefaced with the fact i don't know what your building, what you want to use it for, and how long you think before you compete it.... but a few observations:

Id leave any avionics decisions to the absolute latest possible point in the project. They technology is changing so rapidly, that I'm sure that by the time you have the FWF etc all done, the available avionics will have changed significantly. Dynon will probably have a remote radio to match the remote Mode S Xpdr for example. That will make it a lot more user friendly than the micro panel mounts.
Id only consider those if panel real-estate was extremely limited, or you have the fingers of a 5yr old.

As far as the mechanical backup ASI/ALT/Compass. IMHO, thats just a lot of extra weight unless you are planning to fly IFR - in which case the EFIS will be backing up the steam gauges. ;)
The 2 greatest things about modern EFIS these days is that they are infinitely more reliable than their mechanical equivalents, and weigh a LOT less. :ok:

Cheers

Sunfish
1st Sep 2014, 23:04
More thoughts on Radios? Australia still has 25khz channel spacing or is this going to change to 8.33?

I gather a TSO'd radio is necessary for controlled airspace. I also need a transponder which is mode S but am wondering if this needs to be professionally installed? WHat about calibrating the encoder?

Do I need a TSO'd transponder antenna?

I've fitted Two VHF aerials (top and bottom) and run RG400 coax with BNC connectors.

I can't really lock up the floor and rear until I have this settled. High wing all metal airplane.

Creampuff
1st Sep 2014, 23:32
If you’re going to have only 1 VHF, get one that can monitor the standby frequency. That way you can listen to two frequencies. (E.g. Garmin SL40, which also includes a built-in intercom).

peterc005
2nd Sep 2014, 00:44
Haven't heard anything about the channel spacing changing. Most new radios let you select this as an option.

My recollection is that TSO radios are only required for IFR flight.

My Icom A210 is not TSO, but the plane is registered as Airwork + NVFR.

Squawk7700
2nd Sep 2014, 01:15
TSO'ed radio only required for NVFR is my understanding (and IFR).

Comant 121 aerial is your friend.

Encoder bi-enniel certification by your friendly avionics LAME.

LeadSled
2nd Sep 2014, 02:50
I can't really lock up the floor and rear until I have this settled

Sunfish,
All the cables and connectors need to be "get at able", believe me. Amazing how Murplie's Law applies to aerial cables, connectors and the aerials themselves.
Tootle Pip!!

Arnold E
2nd Sep 2014, 09:06
The XCOMs are Australian made in the US by Narco

Errr, how does that work.:confused:

Sunfish
2nd Sep 2014, 09:17
Leady, the wiring is just about "get attable" however not easily - It's the design you see.

Squawk7700
2nd Sep 2014, 10:28
Arnold, suspect that is "Australian Designed" :ok:

Narco went bust. I think I read that they are Aussie made now but I can't recall.