PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to Genghis the Engineer?

peterh337
16th Sep 2012, 16:07
He seems to have vanished, along with all his postings.

Bizzare, given his massively impressive contribution to this site.

goudie
16th Sep 2012, 16:08
Well he's put his name down for the London Bash

peterh337
16th Sep 2012, 16:13
No - check again. No postings actually by him. All gone.

tonyhalsall
16th Sep 2012, 16:15
Silenced by the microlight mafia

peterh337
16th Sep 2012, 16:18
Who would be behind that, and why?

500 above
16th Sep 2012, 16:22
It's a shame. He offered some good advice on here.

JW411
16th Sep 2012, 16:26
Does this mean that he is now Genghis Khan't?

dublinpilot
16th Sep 2012, 16:41
Presumably that means that he's had a falling out and left.

That would be a terrible pitty, as he has a tremendious dept of knowledge and was happy to share it in a friendly way with others.

I really do hope that it's something else like a simple name change.

RTN11
16th Sep 2012, 16:56
Last I saw his profile said he was banned.

goudie
16th Sep 2012, 17:08
No - check again. No postings actually by him. All gone.

You're right, his post has gone from the London Bash thread. Buggah, he came last year and is a lovely sociable bloke. What's going on?

007helicopter
16th Sep 2012, 17:46
I had a post yesterday deleted by a new moderator with zero posts called sidesliplanding (my first one ever)

I thought it unusual, maybe he knows as the new mod what happened to Genghis. (or maybe it is him)

piperboy84
16th Sep 2012, 18:01
That would be a pity he is gone, I learned a lot from his posts

Pace
16th Sep 2012, 18:03
He wrote to me a while back about things he was not happy with! If you dont sing the right Mantra Here your gone end of story!
Surprised I have lasted?

Pace

peterh337
16th Sep 2012, 18:06
I happen to know that his removal was not of his choosing.

The curious thing about pr00n is that the people who really control the site are totally anonymous, and even the mods don't really know the background to some decisions.

Also I think there is no way he could have been removed for a posting which was merely controversial. I (and many others) would have been banned years ago on that basis. Most likely a specific well connected individual had something to do with it.

Pilot DAR
16th Sep 2012, 18:41
G offered a wealth of wisdom, of great value to this group. I believe that his not being here is not his choice. I would be stunned to find that such a balanced and dedicated member did something "wrong". I am very unhappy that valuable threads started by him, and posts contributed by others to those threads are no longer available, let alone his posts to other's threads.

PPRuNe is very much the lesser for the loss of this contribution - perhaps it can be restored? If a heritage of a PPRuNe member's contribution can be erased in one action, is it worth the devotion of other contributors to create their own heritage of posts?

FANS
16th Sep 2012, 18:42
Real shame.

So you're not allowed to speak about:

Etihad?
Ryanair - were some of the posts on them deleted or threads closed?
Anything else??

If correct, this is the beginning of the end for pprune for many of us.

Duckeggblue
16th Sep 2012, 18:45
I had a post yesterday deleted by a new moderator with zero posts called sidesliplanding (

I asked if sidesliplanding was a mod on the Almat thread and the reply seemed to indicate that it was a mod who had more than one identity :confused: so the zero post thing may not be what it seems.

Jan Olieslagers
16th Sep 2012, 18:45
If correct, this is the beginning of the end for PPRuNe for many of us.

It might well be my case - G's posts were for me among the most useful I found on any internet forum.

If he was indeed banned, I think we have a right to know why. PPRUNE tower, your comments please?

Whirlybird
16th Sep 2012, 18:58
Genghis was indeed banned and his posts removed; he told me why. He is trying to get something done about it...I really can't say any more.

Pilot DAR
16th Sep 2012, 19:00
I have searched some threads on which I know I posted - and to which G was also a contributor. My posts can no longed be found. There has already be a request on another forum for information that I know I posted, which could no longer be found - because it was a G thread.

That's not right - have I been partly banned too? What have I, and other contributors to threads which G originated, done to justify being deleted? I know that PPRuNe is private, and subject to the whims of the owner, but I think this is a few steps too far. I'm glad I copied so many of my posts onto my computer - I might have to find somewhere else to repost them...

PPRuNe moderators do have an opportunity to turn this around....

FlyingLapinou
16th Sep 2012, 19:00
Oh, that's very bad news, if correct. I've learnt such a lot from his comments and explanations, which he has always given so generously. And always with tolerance and courtesy. I hope he will be back soon.

FANS
16th Sep 2012, 19:04
Maybe a Moderator could explain what has happened and why all of his posts have been deleted - or would that be too much of an honest and upfront approach?

Either way Genghis can't even offer his view of these events and hence I question the point of PPrune if it's so heavily censored.

piperboy84
16th Sep 2012, 19:04
Banned? how do you get banned on here ?? I've had some pretty nasty back and forth's on here, usually while lost at sea with Captain Morgan and never got chipped out, cant imagine a professionally gentleman like GTE doing something that would get him booted.

Funny old world

italianjon
16th Sep 2012, 19:09
Unbelievable. G recommended and advised on so many things for me, and on a few occasions I have met him personally. One of the most interesting people to sit and talk to... but above all I don't think I have ever met anyone else who comes close to his dedication to aviation and especially the GA world.

Truly a great loss to this forum and I hope to see him back here soon!!!

Big Pistons Forever
16th Sep 2012, 19:19
I think an explanation from the Moderators is not an unreasonable request. G the E was hardly a foaming at the mouth effluent disturber and I believe a very highly respected poster. This forum is appreciably diminished by his absence........

Duckeggblue
16th Sep 2012, 19:33
[QUOTE]Big Pistons Forever I think an explanation from the Moderators is not an unreasonable request. G the E was hardly a foaming at the mouth effluent disturber and I believe a very highly respected poster. This forum is appreciably diminished by his absence........[/thQUOTE]

:D

Katamarino
16th Sep 2012, 19:33
It certainly seems more and more every day that a new forum, not subject to the odd whims of whoever dictates this one, is needed. Until then I do know another excellent UK based forum that would suffice...

Pilot DAR
16th Sep 2012, 19:37
I think an explanation from the Moderators is not an unreasonable request

Indeed.

Though I suppose PPRuNe is private, and subject to the interests of the owner, on the other hand, it exists as a source of valuable information because of the effort filled posts of many of us. Not only has GtE dissapeared, but along with him, a whole bunch of other (including my) posts.

What did the rest of us do to deserve to be deleted too?

Final 3 Greens
16th Sep 2012, 19:39
Having been on here for 12 years, I am saddened by this development.

GTE was always reasonable, helpful and generous with his (excellent) advice.

This place has gone down a long way in the past few years.

Aeronut
16th Sep 2012, 19:41
My guess is he pointed out some uncomfortable truths relating to airworthiness

Free Genghis The Engineer!

PPRuNe Towers
16th Sep 2012, 20:02
It is sufficient to say that the value of Genghis contributions has been appreciated.

However anyone who is a moderator has access to some very private information which we trust will never be abused or revealed. Confidentiality is a foremost priority with the forum. Some information can have far reaching consequences if disclosed, often beyond the appreciation of the person disclosing it. This is the way that the forum has operated with great success for over 16 years.

At this stage some important decisions are being made with regards what has happened and Genghis is fully aware of everything that is happening and why. Hopefully at the very minimum Genghis will be able to return as a contributor.

Due to the sensitivity of the matter and out of respect for the previous work of Genghis the thread is now closed and is a matter of private discussion.

BrandiNettIB
25th Sep 2012, 18:31
Hi all,

This is just a brief announcement of the admin decision regarding Genghis the Engineer.

First, the admins sincerely apologize for the inadvertent outing of Genghis' name by one admin. This mention was unintentional and limited in duration. We have deleted that post as well as another that quoted the original post. If anyone sees more instances of such quoting, please let us know, and we will delete it.

Second, the admins have banned the username Genghis the Engineer for breach of other members' confidentiality. We must necessarily be vague here, as the matters are truly confidential, involving matters of law enforcement.

In recognition of Genghis' considerable contributions to PPRuNe over the years, his posts will remain up, and he will be free to return under a different username if he so chooses.

Due to the confidential nature of the facts involved, the admins are not at liberty to discuss them. This was a very difficult decision to reach, necessitating much fact finding and debate. Please respect that decision and limit discussion of it to private channels.

Sincerely,
PPRuNe Admins

BrandiNettIB
29th May 2013, 17:54
A brief but necessary postscript -

The admins welcome back Genghis the Engineer as a valued member.

The facts involved remain necessarily confidential, but the parties involved have sorted out earlier unfortunate misunderstandings.

Sincerely,
PPRuNe Admins