PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 medical and Peak Flow test

spitfire2002
8th Apr 2002, 14:57
I am hoping you guys can put my mind at ease. I am due to take the Class 1 medical at the end of this month and have a few questions that I wouldn’t mind some answers to, as they are making me slightly anxious.

The first is and this is the most important as I used to have Asthma as a kid and have just given up smoking (1st April) in order to give myself the best chance of passing the medical as possible. I was never a big smoker mainly socially at the weekends. I used to smoke about 4-5 cigs a day weekdays and about 20 over a weekend Sat & Sun, but that has all stopped, 0 cigs per week! The question is does anybody know what the minimum “Peak Flow Rate” is for a pass on the lungs test?

I have found out from the National Asthma Campaign that the average PEF for my age, sex and height is: 600.
SEX: MALE
HEIGHT: 5ft 8.5in

I am getting 500+ on the peak flow meter I have at home, which seems quite good but I am unsure of the limits and the attitude towards Asthma in early life, I have not had any problems attack wise in this department for about seventeen years.

My next question is does anyone know what the MAX BMI is for a pass?

Thank you all in advance for your help as I know this site and it’s members well (I used to have a different alias “Tornado” but had to change it when the website had a MOT.) and that you will provide the answers.

Once again many thanks, any help is much appreciated.

FlyingForFun
8th Apr 2002, 15:08
spitfire,

When I went for my Class 1, a friend of mine in a similar situation to yours asked me to ask the doctor exactly this question. I got a very technical answer, and I can't remember the details, but it goes something like this:

If you have any history of asthma at all, you will be asked to do a peak flow test, at rest, just like everyone else. Then, you will have to run around the car park for 5 minutes, after which you will get another peak flow test. Then you have to rest for a few minutes, and a further peak flow test. What they are looking for is not a specific peak flow rate, but how much your peak flow reduces after exercise, and how quickly it returns to normal. I think. But don't quote me on that, because I can't remember exactly - you're more likely to get a correct answer from the Medical forum. But the one thing I do remember is that there isn't a specific number which you have to acheive on the peak flow test - it's more complex than that.

FFF
-------------