PDA

View Full Version : RTW Tickets on Staff Travel

GusHoneybun
15th Sep 2012, 12:25
I have been given a sabbatical starting in Dec for 3 months. Myself and the missus are planning to go and get some sun in the southern hemisphere for this. Planning to head roughly LHR-SFO-AUK-CHC-SYD-PER-SIN-LON. The NZ and aussie bits are going to be by surface transport.

Anyhoo, has anyone successfully done a RTW with staff tickets. What problems did you face and did it work out much cheaper than booking a RTW ticket with a travel agent.

Thanks in advance.

Hotel Tango
16th Sep 2012, 09:50
Gave up flying on staff tickets years ago when, a) I became older, and b) it became cheaper and much less of a hassle to fly on booked tickets. You will need lots of patience and lots of luck. Flying RTW you will inevitably hit peak travel periods somewhere along your route and you could end up stuck somewhere for a while. If you have plenty of time to spare and you like the constant hassle of wondering until the last minute whether you'll get on a flight or not, or having to look for accomodation (possibly late at night) when you don't, then RTW staff travel can be fun ;)

RevMan2
16th Sep 2012, 09:57
Has anyone successfully done a RTW with staff tickets?

Do it at least once a year, mostly FRA-BKK-AKL-LAX-FRA all C except AKL-LAX where Air NZ charges more for Y than LH does FRA-BKK/LAXFRA or TG BKKAKL. In C.

Alternatively FRA-DXB/LH-DXBBKKAKL/EK

You might get a better deal on a RTW with a travel agent in Y (via KUL/TPE/where ever) but NEVER in C