PDA

View Full Version : Lightspeed Sierra vs. Sennheiser HMEC 250

VelocityNeverExceed
14th Sep 2012, 17:50
Hi guys,

I've been thinking of upgrading to a ANR headset. I'm aiming for price range of about 500 - 600 dollars. The Lightspeed Sierra is priced at $600 and the Sennheiser HMEC 250 is priced at $459. What do you think is best to do? Please don't say that I should buy the Zulu2, because $600 is really the best I could do.

I don't really need the Bluetooth capability that the Sierra has, but I do like that the mike can be switched sides as I'm regular changing seats. Most important of course is the ANR quality.

I regularly fly quite noisy cockpits like the old C172's.

Who can convince me to buy which one?

Thanks!

multis81
14th Sep 2012, 23:58
Got a pair of hmec 250's. Flying atr's and teach on sep. great headset. Excellent anr. Most annoying thing? The low battery light flashes ON the right hand ear cup. I try and change/ recharge batteries every 20hrs but have been caught a few time at TOC or during descent when the ANR cuts out. Flying an approach without anr becomes very annoying.

Found standard alkaline batteries last 30-35hrs on time. I use rechargeable (when I remember to take my charger!!) and get around 20hrs per full charge.

Compared to light speed, I found the hmec lighter and more comfortable.

Go try both on and get the one that fits you better!!

Hope that helps.

dl_88
15th Sep 2012, 04:02
+1 for the HMEC 250

i been using the HMEC for the past 2 year and i love them. Good ANR and i found them to have good PNR during the odd time the batteries decided to die on me.

Small & compact. light and clamping force on the head is quite good. Comfy on longer flights.

Like what multi81 said, go try them on and see which suits you better:ok:

Altimeters
15th Sep 2012, 21:16
Has anyone ever tried the HMEC 25 or newer 26 version in a turboprop before? I'm curious to see if it'll work because it doesn't cover the whole ear.

Iflyjad
16th Sep 2012, 00:24
I bought the Lightspeed Sierra when it was first released. I found it to be a comfortable headset with an OK rather than brilliant ANR.. Note I mainly fly C172s and Mooneys.

Mine also developed a problem early on with a loose wire causing crackling noises in one earpiece.

Anyhow I felt a little disappointed with the purchase and have recently replaced it with a Bose A20 with no regrets.

For $600 it is probably a reasonable purchase and hopefully after a few years of production, reliability has been improved. But, don't expect it to be in the same class as a Zulu or A20 when it comes to the ANR.

If you are able try and compare the two in real flight.

VelocityNeverExceed
16th Sep 2012, 19:30
Thanks guys!

I will try to test them both. I tried a Bose A20 today for a few minutes and it was great indeed. However, the price is just too high for me.

If any other people like to share their opinions, please do so! :-)

Thanks!