PDA

View Full Version : Phamous Photographer

OJ 72
14th Sep 2012, 11:03
It is my sad duty to inform the members of PPrune that Ken Boyd, better known as Phamous Photographer, passed away in hospital on Thursday 13 September, after a protracted period of ill health.

Those of you who operated any form of rotary wing or fixed wing aircraft from Aldergrove from the early 90s would have been au fait with Ken. Not only did he pop up in all of the crewrooms in RAF Aldergrove, he seemed to be able to charm his way into the FOBs, and had the uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time for EVCPs, infils and extractions.

Ken was a part-time member of the UDR and worked for the Northern Ireland Housing Executive until ill health forced him to retire. He used photography as a form of therapy and, during the years, he amassed perhaps the finest collection of Op BANNER related aviation photogrphs outside of official channels. Ken was ever cheerful, never pushy and had an encyclopaedic knowledge of operations in the Province.

Although a first time poster, I have, on your behalf, passed our condolences to Ruth and Caroline.

hval
14th Sep 2012, 17:19
OJ 72,

Thank you for your posting, here on PPRuNe, to inform us about Phamous Photographer, and thank you for passing on condolences.

What sad news.

Hval.

Cim Jartner
14th Sep 2012, 17:35
Very sad news! Ken was certainly an individual - and I don't think he had a bad bone in his body! He certainly did manage to charm his way into FOBs, to be in the right field at the right time and onto my helicopter a few times. He must have the most enormous collection of photos of NI rotary - all with our names written on the back.... Condolences to his family

CJ

NutLoose
14th Sep 2012, 17:37
There is already a thread running and it has deliberately avoided posting his full name for obvious reasons, can you please edit it accordingly.

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/495508-rip-phamousphotographer-ken-b.html

It was only 5 posts below this one :*

Pink Panther
14th Sep 2012, 17:40
Sorry to hear that sad news. Always enjoyed his contributions and photos particularly to the SHFNI thread, they brought back alot of memories for me. Condolences to his family and friends.

diginagain
14th Sep 2012, 18:20
Saddened to learn that Ken has passed-away. He was very helpful in providing me with access to his photograph collection to aid in the commissioning of recent painting. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.