PDA

View Full Version : Teddy Donaldson

PeregrineW
14th Sep 2012, 10:29
Basil Brush in an RAF uniform, one time holder of the world air speed record, aviation correspondent for the Telegraph, and all round Good Egg by every account that I have read.

I'd imagine that anyone like that would have the odd eccentricity...but can anyone here shed any light on why, in the picture at the top of this article, Teddy's belt is the wrong way round? SD belts were all sewn to the tunic in those days, weren't they?

Down Memory Lane: The day Tangmere saw the fastest plane in the world - Down Memory Lane - Bognor Regis Observer (http://www.bognor.co.uk/community/down-memory-lane/down-memory-lane-the-day-tangmere-saw-the-fastest-plane-in-the-world-1-4217463)

Trivia, I know...but it puzzles me!

Pontius Navigator
14th Sep 2012, 12:02
Peregrine, you are mistaken.

The belt had to be removable so you could put on a sword belt. Mine was fastened to two looks at the back of the jacket and fastened with a cloth tape and press studs. That design persisted through all my uniforms.

The only difference was that the Cranditz cadets used to have sword belt clips as well.

PeregrineW
14th Sep 2012, 12:12
Now, that's very interesting. My research indicates that the removable belt came in with the 1947 pattern uniform, and indeed, every example I've seen of the WW2 pattern SD tunic has a belt which is sewn to the back of the tunic.

What you say about the sword belt makes sense, though. I'd better check my sources, it seems!

Scruffy Fanny
14th Sep 2012, 15:41
PN - I think most of what you say is correct - however I was not dare I say privileged to attend Cranwell but I had a small brass hook on my jacket or belt for carrying a sword - perhaps due to winning the sword of honor but I'm not sure - but the belt was def as you described -.Teddy Donaldson true hero !

Pontius Navigator
14th Sep 2012, 18:03
SF, I should also have included Golden Balls in the exceptions.

Scruffy Fanny
14th Sep 2012, 18:16
Yes both my No1s and No5s had extra material sewn into the left leg to accommodate those - As I once amusingly said to a young lady at an airshow- do you think the size of the zip on my flying suit is impressive??:D

Top West 50
16th Sep 2012, 17:34
Au Wai Lam would not only supply a "sword hook" but he would also give you a sash, to be worn under the uniform across the shoulder, to support the sword hook!

teeteringhead
18th Sep 2012, 16:26
Au Wai Lam would not only supply a "sword hook" but he would also give you a sash, to be worn under the uniform across the shoulder, to support the sword hook! ... which makes a lot of sense. When the "under belt" is worn for a sword (ie no blue and gold sword belt) it indeed comes with a supporting shoulder strap......