PDA

View Full Version : Qantas pilots on the moon

flyonthewall
12th Sep 2012, 22:12
On 'The Australian' website...

"Hero Qantas pilot pays tribute to Neil Armstrong as a master of the machine."

WHEN does man override machine?

It was a pertinent question for Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, and Qantas pilot Richard de Crespigny, who in 2010 captained a crippled Airbus A380 to safety after an engine exploded mid-air, extensively damaging the aircraft....

Puh-lease! Does his self promoting know no bounds? Next thing the QF pilots will be "saving" Emirates!

Arm out the window
12th Sep 2012, 23:06
While he's obviously not shy about publicity, I'd imagine the company publicists are pushing a lot of this stuff.

Discrepancy + Armstrong + Qantas, great public appeal, I'd think they'll keep it going as long as there are angles to use.

Good for his book, good for the public perception of the company. What PR mob wouldn't use it if they could?

Hugh Jarse
13th Sep 2012, 06:36
Somewhat embarrassing to compare the achievements of Neil Armstrong to those of Richard D.

Richard D (while he did a great job with his crew) doesn't come within miles of the accomplishments of Neil Armstrong, even before he became an astronaut.

Neil avoided the limelight after 1969, only approving a biography to be written as recently as a few years ago. Richard D has......?

Armstrong inspired me as a kid. Richard D? Well, hmmmmm.

Angle of Attack
13th Sep 2012, 08:42
All the original astronauts , including Gemini and Apollo missions were way out on a limb, and in comparison much less self promoting. Crisp bread did a good job but damn, he is getting painful to watch/listen to.

haughtney1
13th Sep 2012, 10:53
I thought you required at least 3 trans lunar injections in the last 90 days to be even considered for the 380 at QF? :E:E

ozbiggles
13th Sep 2012, 11:05
is it just me or did that look like a photo shop job?

Altimeters
13th Sep 2012, 12:03
Nope I thought the exact same thing too biggles. :cool:

Lookleft
14th Sep 2012, 11:06
Is it just me or did anyone else find the whole "Armstrong spiral" discussion with accompanying diagram a bit strange?

Arm out the window
14th Sep 2012, 12:50
Yes, I found it a bit odd.

I guess this spiral thing is some kind of A380 all engines out PFL pattern ... seems a bit forced that if you had decided to dream one up and publish it, or at least put it to the manufacturers to give their stamp of approveal, to then name it. It's getting a bit un-Australian now, this PR storm.