PDA

View Full Version : iPad in the Cockpit

CS 77
12th Sep 2012, 09:54
Hi Guys,

Apologies (this has probably been asked), but does anyone in the BizJet world use iPads while flying (either Nav or preflight), just wondering what people are using.

500 above
12th Sep 2012, 11:43
Yes

We use Jepp FD and EFB pro. We carry two iPads and paper.

Also, see here;

http://www.pprune.org/questions/495316-ipads-ok-use-during-all-phases-flight.html

mutt
12th Sep 2012, 13:05
EFB pro For takeoff analysis?

Mutt

500 above
12th Sep 2012, 13:08
Yes, T/O & LDG. Figures always within feet of the book values.

Trim Stab
12th Sep 2012, 17:09
Yep, iPad for Jepps, W&B and performance calcs. Way safer than paper, though the regulatory bureaucrats would still prefer that we used an abacus, chalk and slates if they could have their way.

mutt
12th Sep 2012, 17:23
Can I ask why you went for EFB Pro rather than APG?

Mutt

mattman
12th Sep 2012, 17:50
Hi Mutt

Just to clarify the use of EFB pro. It does not require any Internet connection to run the program and get results, all data is already installed on the App. Cost us $50 a month for the use. Does WB as well. And if you do have Internet gets weather. Interface is not very good though but tolerable.

Matt

Pace
12th Sep 2012, 18:26
What is the cheapest way of getting an updateable data base onto the IPad Jeppeson charge a subscription of around $1800 pa for central Europe?

Pace

mushroom69
13th Sep 2012, 15:12
Well.....you could try to find someone that has Jeppview on their computer, but not using all their licenses. If I remember rightly, you get 3 for the subscription. Then you can just maybe make an arrangement to use one of their licenses for your iPad Jepp. Then it is completely free, the App costs you nothing, the person already has the unused license, so what-ever you can work out.

mutt
13th Sep 2012, 17:36
Then it is completely free, the App costs you nothing, the person already has the unused license, so what-ever you can work out. You can try, but you will have a liability issue, the APP is registered and contracted to a specific company, they cant hand them out to anyone else.

Mutt

Trim Stab
13th Sep 2012, 19:55
You can try, but you will have a liability issue, the APP is registered and contracted to a specific company, they cant hand them out to anyone else.

I have it in writing from Jeppesen that it is ok to share a registration between individuals on cost-sharing basis. You actually get four sitekeys with Jeppview, so it is reasonably priced if you can get a four-way syndicate together.

mushroom69
14th Sep 2012, 12:32
Exactly the point.

Son of a Beech
14th Sep 2012, 12:47
We use Jepppview and Arinc Direct App.

Jeppesen will come with a new 2 key subscription at a reduced price at the end of the month (my guess at the NBAA)

With regards to Arinc, the app is free to Arinc Direct customers. For a full flightplanning package where they file CFMU COMPLIANT ROUTES, supply notams weather, performance, w&b, incorporated accuquick, SMS system, we pay $5000 a year. This might sound like a lot but if you considder that we have 24/7 support with filing and that you online type in DEP, DEST, ALT, ETD, and Pax numbers and they fix the rest, for a small operator like us its worth gold.

mushroom69
14th Sep 2012, 14:10
Thanks for that....we also have arinc-direct, but I did not realise there was an App for it! ...and me the big iPad freak!

:sad:

supermoix
14th Sep 2012, 18:44
Yes we use it, two crew jet. Two personal iPads and one onboard spare airplane assigned. FAR Part 91 within the Americas.

We use Jeppview FD, Flplan, Foreflight, Aircraft Manuals, W&B Worksheets, Performance Calculator, eAPIS software and other various stuff like perf tables and spreadsheets for related calculations and flight and expense reports, it really have done my work much easier both on the ground pref-light and in-flight operations.

I am not a mac or igadgets fan but it iPads really works in the cockpit, zero complaints.

(And of course, a couple dozen of your favorite music tracks help in long flights).