PDA

View Full Version : Flybe Dash 8 Q400 - Are they becoming more unreliable?

Hampshire Hog
12th Sep 2012, 08:59
I've flown with Flybe a lot in recent years, but the last 6 months have seen delays and cancellations due to reported 'technical faults' on almost every trip. Of course tech faults happen to any aircraft, but I wondered if anyone knows if the Q400s are getting worse. In at least some cases, they really were tech problems, because I've seen the engineers working on the a/c. If this many faults ground them, how many happen in flight? Are Flybe in trouble?

DaveReidUK
12th Sep 2012, 09:07
In at least some cases, they really were tech problems

So are you implying that there were also cases where "technical fault" was given as the reason for a cancellation or delay that was actually due to other reasons ?

Hampshire Hog
12th Sep 2012, 09:45
'Technical reasons' is often given as an excuse for cancellation or delay covering everything from faults to lack of crew. What I'm saying is in all these cases 'faults' were mentioned. I don't really trust excuses given by transport businesses of any kind, unless I can verify them - but coming back to my question about the Dash 8s - I have seen several being worked on, I assume because of the aforementioned faults.
I wouldn't want to engage in speculation about other more commercial reasons for cancelling flights, though like many others, I've heard the rumours.

radeng
12th Sep 2012, 13:06
It's some time since I used FlyBe: the last time, we were about 2 hours late from Paris for Bristol. The captain had an issue with the port engine, and I figured if she wasn't happy flying with it, neither was I. They were quite open about what the tech issue was, though.

Hampshire Hog
12th Sep 2012, 18:36
Thanks for your replies. I guess I've just been unlucky!

easyflyer83
12th Sep 2012, 20:03
It's some time since I used FlyBe: the last time, we were about 2 hours late from Paris for Bristol. The captain had an issue with the port engine, and I figured if she wasn't happy flying with it, neither was I. They were quite open about what the tech issue was, though.

Absolutely. You might occasionally get a bit of bull***t in the terminal, mainly due to lack of communication but once onboard the crews are nearly always liberal with the truth.

Hotel Tango
13th Sep 2012, 06:36
In balance, I fly quite often with Lufthansa Regional on their CRJ700/900s. After years of trouble free/delay-free flights I suffered 1 tech cancellation and 2 tech delays in a matter of months. Just bad luck I think.