PDA

View Full Version : C-Cat to B-Cat for non current instructor

weloveseaplanes
11th Sep 2012, 23:11
Gidday Gidday,

A couple questions to those who have advanced up the alphabet of instructing.

Is it realistically possible to pass the B-Cat initial issue test with holding a current C-Cat but not having being actively employed as an instructor for a number of years? In other words could I self study to get to the standard to pass the test without being employed as an instructor . . .

How much preparation was required for your B-Cat initial issue?

Cheers

Oktas8
12th Sep 2012, 00:10
Whether you need to be current depends on how good your training & supervising instructors were, and how much basic instruction you did (that is, S&L, C&D etc, as opposed to general revision flights).

How much study you should do, depends on how well you are able to answer questions from the PPL and CPL theory syllabi.

Not much help I'm afraid! Perhaps a half-day spent with a trusted A-Cat would help your assessment.

Cheers,
O8

weloveseaplanes
12th Sep 2012, 02:44
Good advice thank you.

Only used the C-Cat for one flight last year and am due for a renewal. Where I am the C-Cat isn't useful, but a B-Cat could be as we have friends who would like to learn to fly and I'd like to help them.

I love sharing flying but the financial costs of upgrading to a B-Cat far out weigh any possible returns, especially as I'd have to stop working to prepare. That said though I'm passionate about bringing more people into the sky so perhaps I'm being selfish thinking about what's best for me when as an aviator I should be thinking about what's best for other potential pilots.

Have contacted the CAC to see whether they have any B-Cat prep-courses and will likewise give our friendly A-Cat a call and discuss options with him.

Thank you for taking the time to reply :)