PDA

View Full Version : Flying Instruments

Jetheat
14th Apr 2001, 05:09
Out of all the PC based simulations out there, which is the best for keeping your Instrument Flying Skills in better shape (If it exists)?

Flight Sim 2000 Pro doesn't do much for Instrument Flying since there is only one Nav and one ADF. No Standby! It's more geared towards VFR flying.

Are there any better IFR practice simulators out there? If there is, how much does it cost?

juswonnafly
14th Apr 2001, 14:52
Jetheat, have a look at RANT 2000.

It is not a sim but a very good procedural trainer. It will help you to maintain nav skills etc.

You can have a trial run by going to www.oddsoft.co.uk (http://www.oddsoft.co.uk)

Cheers

JWF :)

Jetheat
16th Apr 2001, 03:06
Thx for the info, I've downloaded that software but I was looking for a cockpit trainer and not just a Nav trainer. I need something with which you can practice your Instrument Flying Skills.

ACARS
16th Apr 2001, 05:28
You have to try Flitepro.

http://www.jeppesen.com/prodserv/flitepro/

Download a free demo. You really need a yoke or a joystick for this one. Great with simcharts. Costs about 90 sterling.

Works for me. Only 2 aircraft though.

juswonnafly
16th Apr 2001, 12:05
Jetheat, do you want to practice instrument skills or flying skills? If it is flying skills you want then really you need an aeroplane!

If on the otherhand you wish to practice 'pilot interpretation' of nav aids then RANT or the like will do.

Alternatively get Combat Flight Sim! No instrument stuff but GREAT FUN!

Sunny side up!

JWF :)

Mr moto
16th Apr 2001, 23:47
Any flight sim will do, even MS FS 4. If you've got a map you can do all the stuff like changing frequencies and radials on the VORs. The point is interpretation of what they say.

IFT Pro 5 is good enough as a start if you want to go for the bigger instrument panel.

Practice NDB holds and approaches in various wind conditions and you're well set up for the real thing!

PanicButton
17th Apr 2001, 08:09
Propilot does the trick for me.

------------------
Nothing to see here, just making use of the internet!